IGNORED

Close cal in Gatlinburg today

Venturous Randy

Laura and I took a ride to Gatlinburg today and it was a beautiful ride. It got up to about 80 degrees as we got there. We came in thru the east end that comes from I40. We had a good meal at Legend's and walked around and did a little shoping. The sidewalks were about full of people.

As we were leaving. I moved over into the right lane that goes up the hill as you are leaving the main drag. I was getting a bit irritated because I had a large Chevy pickup or SUV following me real close. Just about the time I got to where the big parking garage was on my right, a car in the left lane going the same direction as me allowed another big SUV to turn left in front of him, right into my path. We were in just a few feet from each other when I saw her and she saw me. When she got stopped, she was over halfway into my lane. Fortunately, with the traffic, I was not moving fast, but if I had hit her, we would have gone down. I was able to brake hard and move to my right. I don't know how the truck behind did not run into me unless with him being higher up, he was able to see what was going on before I did. Anyway, it was real close and it sure made me think about some of the crashes we have had with this group this year. It can happen real quick.

RandyA

That should have been "Close call in Gatlinburg today"

Glad you are OK Randy. There have been too many this last couple years. Quick is right. Sometimes just no time to react. I guess experience kicks in. If I hadn't swerved a little I would have got him about mid front fender, might have been worse. Was less than 20 ft away when he turned his lights on and I was doing about 40 to 50 mph not much time to do anything and still contact was not made until he caught me right about my front axle. If he had let off gas, tapped brake of anything like that I would have missed him. Sorry didn't mean to go through it again.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

Guest Boomerbiker

Funny you should mention Gatlinburg. A week ago tomorrow I finished the last stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to the entrance to Smoky Mountain National Park. I decided to head through the park. What a mistake - not particularly picturesque and like riding in a funeral procession with the cagers driving 25 mph. And then Gatlinburg. What a commercial nightmare of tourist traps, shops, eateries, motels. I thought that whole area was just the pits and the traffic was a nightmare, wheel to wheel stop and go all the way to the Interstate. I will never, ever ride there again.