IGNORED

Myrtle Beach

newventure

Wife and I were talking tonight about taking an early vacation this year and thinking about heading to MB bike week, never been there before anyone here going this year or can anyone hear share their experiences? Got my new E3's on today and WOW what a difference in handling, feels like a totaly different bike compared to the factory tires,may sound funny, but it feels somewhat lighter when turning compared to plowing into the turns. I can honestly say it was money well spent.

Haven't heard they cancelled it but last I heard several vendors left and (I think) moved further north.

Huge mistake for the powers that be to do some boneheaded things in this economy. They will lose money. Once more businesses suffer maybe they will rethink it and say hmmm maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/

http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/events.html

Anyrate. We will miss both bike weeks in May this year and be there at the end of May instead.

We go about every 2 yrs. 1st year we went, we were on a main strip by the beach. Big mistake. People riding no baffles and going all night long. Not a whole lot of sleep going on. I put sleep over partying any day. Years after that weren't so bad.

I was really hoping to make it to bike week this year to get my levers wrapped. My father in law had it done last time to his bike and they did a really good job.

Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson no longers sponsors the event. "Some" vendors come but nothing like 2008.

A little history....in 2008 during the Memorial Day Bike week (crotch rocket's), MB turned into East Los Angeles with near riots and a local college student was killed over a parking spot in MB city limits. The MB Mayor and City Council decided they wanted nothing to do with bikers and residents followed suit with a vote. It is LEGAL to ride in South Carolina without a helmet, but ILLEGAL in Myrtle Beach (I applaud them for that). The case has been heard by the SC Supreme Court. Decision is pending..

Anyhow....many business' are pro-biker, many are not. It's nothing like it use to be and as someone who lived in Myrtle Beach for 21 years I say go somewhere else during the "so-called" biker week. You will be hasseled the entire time because you are on 2 wheels.

MB is a great place, just not during Bike Week.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer.

Ben

It's been a long time since I went to MB and chances are I wouldn't go period unless maybe at the end or beginning of the season. Last I was there MB had already turned into a tourist trap with no redeeming value. Personally, if you want to go to the beach there are better places to do it. As I recall MB has placed severe restrictions on MC's after some of the bike show trouble which I believe includes parking and 'congregating'

http://myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/ordinances.html

Here's the site for the bike week http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/events.html but they don't seem to know what to call it and when/where it is.en

Thanks, for all the info, I was on their website and MB bike week is still going on just not in the city limits do to what some of you have posted. The events appear to have moved farther north toward NC. Definetly don't want to go there and be hassled just because we are on two wheels. We go to Ocean City Bike week every year but, the weather sometimes is a factor because the events in the fall. I'm rejoining the Air Guard and my reserve weekend is that weekend and was thinking of going somewhere different. I will say the noise factor is getting out of hand there as well, I figure in another couple of years the same things may happen everywhere with the noise. Not to bash anyone, but why is it when some folks get on a motorcycle they think everyone wants to hear their loud pipes and some rider's loose all common sense? I have read over the years in different magazines that some city's, townships, ect. are cracking down on the noise, my opinion their ruining it for themselves and everyone else, just a shame. Honestly I can't blame the locals. One year at OC. we rented a condo two blocks back from the main street and all hrs. of the night all we heard was loud exhaust, and when we were on our bike sitting at lights, all you hear is guys reving their bikes up and hitting the rev limiters, just don't get it. Well thanks for the info may have to do something else instead.

Check for rooms ahead of time, I know there are some hotels with "no bike" rules. If there's no bike event going on, MB is highly overated and too expensive. There's a lot better spots to spend your time at! Been there, done that, would not go back! Just my 2 cents worth!

Thanks, for the additional info. I sure don't want to there and be watched like a hawk for being on a bike. I was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB, in Goldsboro NC. may just take a ride there and spend some time in NC.instead, just don't know yet, even thought of Virginia Beech as well, but I believe MB beech is out for now.

Charleston and Savannah are great this time of year. If you like to catfish, Lake Marion is home to some whoopers. Check out the guides at Harry's Fish Camp.

I will promote my beloved South Carolina, I just can't promote Myrtle Beach and Motorcycles in the same sentence.

Ben

I lived in Myrtle Beach from 97'-2009. I can tell you for a fact that what little is left of bikeweek is hardly worth going. Most of the leftover action is down south in Murrells Inlet/Garden City area. There is absolutely NOTHING left in Myrtle Beach proper. A small amount in N. Myrtle Beach but that too is doomed. Harley was going to sponsor a small rally this spring in N. MB but backed out a couple months ago because the residents were being poo poo.

It started with Myrtle Beach doing everything they could to keep the bikers away after the 2008 rally. No vendors, a city wide helmet law, bans on pipes etc. While it's true the following black bike week was the nail in the coffin in 2008, the council voted to ban all of it. It's a real shame because I personally know a ton of people (bar owners, restaurants, bands) who lost their asses last spring(and the fall rally too) and will do so again this year.

So everybody circumvented MB and went south or north. Fine. Now the county is getting involved and putting the kabosh on vendor permits outside MB as well. The locals want "selective" tourism. The town is a joke.

Now the cops. Myrtle Beach and the surrounding Horry County has TONS of cops. They will bust you for anything! Please don't think I'm exaggerating! Like i said, I lived there 12 long, brutal years. They put up random road blocks all the time. They're ON THE PROWL looking for excuses to write a ticket. A good riding buddy of mine and Desert Storm vet got busted last Feb for having a 6" crack in his windshield. In 2008, while riding my BICYCLE home from work a state cop gave me a ticket for riding 20 feet down the wrong side of the road. You should have seen how fast he chased me! I had to go to court and pay $75. It is like a police state.

This is turning into a rant and I apologize. It's very frusterating because the town is a shadow of it's former self and used to be cool. It's been ruined by the politicians, and to a large degree, the locals themselves. It's practically a ghost town.

Personally, I would never go back. THEY DON'T WANT YOU THERE! If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Wow, guys that's a shame. You would think that a tourist town they would welcome the revenue especially with the economy being in the tank. My wife last night emailed a hotel in N.MB about location and where abouts the event is now and distances, guess what, no reply yet, so after hearing some of the responses we decided on going somewhere else. I guess if they don't want vacation dollars they won't get any of mine. I went to SC. years ago when I was stationed at Seymour Johnson and did some fishing in the Santee if I remember right, was some good fishing there for sure. I don't understand why folks move and retire at a resort town then complain about traffic and noise. Years ago when I had my muscle car we and some other's would go to OC.Md to the endless summer car cruise in the spring and the fall, same thing, cops started pulling people over for stupid stuff, and issuing fines, ect. Haven't been back for those events for about 7 years. Always had a good time and obeyed the laws, altough some would get a little out of control, but instead of taking care of those boneheads they would target you for anything they could find. May just stay at home and sit on the front porch and drink iced tea.....:rotf:

Out of curiousity----where would you suggest riders go if they wanted to spend some time in that area this year sometime.

The best place to be in that general area is Surfside/Garden City/Murrell's Inlet. May day trips for the stuff in Myrtle Beach, but the best beaches are in Garden City.

Not to miss resturants: Drunkin Jack's, Gulf Stream Cafe, Nance's, Sea Captain's House, River City Cafe

Ben

From the way I understand it from a SC state trooper friend, the biggest problem they had was the sprt bike biker week. As they could not single out people, they cut all people. Also, the residents spoke up about what they did or did not want, and the city listened. Democracy at its finest. This is the way it should be. Although I had a great time at the bike week I attended, the residents have spoken, and I respect their decision.Sometimes a few will ruin it for everyone.

If you're hell bent on SC go to Charleston. Between Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island and the city itself, you have a bevy of great things to do. Tons of great history, beaches, restaurants and bars. Me and all my Myrtle buds rode down there all the time. The view going over the Ravenel bridge is awesome.

Wow, guys that's a shame. You would think that a tourist town they would welcome the revenue especially with the economy being in the tank. My wife last night emailed a hotel in N.MB about location and where abouts the event is now and distances, guess what, no reply yet, so after hearing some of the responses we decided on going somewhere else. I guess if they don't want vacation dollars they won't get any of mine. I went to SC. years ago when I was stationed at Seymour Johnson and did some fishing in the Santee if I remember right, was some good fishing there for sure. I don't understand why folks move and retire at a resort town then complain about traffic and noise. Years ago when I had my muscle car we and some other's would go to OC.Md to the endless summer car cruise in the spring and the fall, same thing, cops started pulling people over for stupid stuff, and issuing fines, ect. Haven't been back for those events for about 7 years. Always had a good time and obeyed the laws, altough some would get a little out of control, but instead of taking care of those boneheads they would target you for anything they could find. May just stay at home and sit on the front porch and drink iced tea.....:rotf:

I just got back from the Outer Banks today; they are having bike week there and love motorcycles. Unfortunately, bike week is over tomorrow. My wife, the yorky and me had a great time, lots of good seafood and the yorky loved to ride. I sure hope things work out and spend a little time wearing out the rubber on those new tires. Safe riding.....