I recently had the opportunity to buy a 1990 Royale, it runs great and now that riding season has started here in CO i've had more chances to get her out and let her run. I do have one question since this is my first experience with the Venture line, mine seems to ride really hard, I've set the air suspension at different levels over the past few days but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so what can I do to correct it. Thanks in advance for your help...

Bob

1990 Venture Royale

2003 Roadstar

2007 R1

Mine rides a bit hard. I have progressive springs in the front which will make it tight. I think I even have the full spacers in there too. Can't quite remember 'cause i had them done for me. Any air in the front just makes it harder.

Putting those springs in is a common thing because the original springs will wear to almost nothing bottoming way too easy.

Does she seem to lean way over, more than what you would think is normal, while on the sidestand? If so, you might just have progressives in there.

You might have too much air in your tires as well.

Stay out of the potholes, lol.

Make sure you are adjusting the suspension properly. Put it on the center stand, and with the key on, but engine not running, see if the air system lights up. Then push the front button and see what the air pressure is. Push the low button and see if it goes down.

Then do the rear suspension. I was told to do it that way to prevent the front from getting too much air?

Keep it on auto mode too.

Thanks for the help, I've been keeping the air on Auto and set on Low maybe I'll try it on medium this weekend. As far as leaning over it definitely doesn't do that, sometimes I worry it's going to fall over it sits up so straight, I'm used to the Roadstar which leans quite a bit. I can't complain about the bike though I got it for 500 bucks so even if I have to put some money into it I'll still be ahead based on what they are selling for on Craigs List.

Thanks again and ride safe,

Bob,

Mine has a progressive sticker on the hitch receiver so I assume it's got a progressive rear. I've had the front apart and can tell you it's not stock and not progressive, it's a very stiff linear spring.

One up I ride 0PSI in front and 14 rear. I'm not a little guy either. 2 up (heavy!) I still run 0 in front and 40 rear.

Just a thought here.. if the rear seems to be riding stiff, I would check and make sure your rear relay arm is moving freely. I think that the 90 has grease zerks on the rear suspension that might need some grease. Just a thought as I know mine wasnt free when I got it and I ended up taking it apart and greasing everything on the rear.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Rick F.

I really tried to pay closer attention to what the suspension was doing last night on the ride home, I set the air system on medium and actually tried to hit a couple of pot holes... :) The rear does seem to ride harder than I think it should so I'll pull the back end apart tonight, since it's supposed to rain tomorrow it'll give me something to do...

Also as a side note the front end seems soft when the bike isn't running, but when I start it up it stiffens up quite a bit, I'm assuming this is the air system doing this. This is the first bike I've owned that has the air ride. I'll keep playing with the air ride until I find a spot that works, thanks again for all your help. And I'm already enjoying the bike, it out accelerates my Roadstar and it's more comfortable for an old guy like me to ride than my R1, that is when I can get the R1 away from the kid... :)

Thanks,

What is the switch on the left side just below your seat set at? The rotary button has some setting there to give you a variable ride depending on the type of riding you do. I cant remember settings now, but my ride was ruff when I bought mine and i tried some settings there and it seemed to help.

Brian

Well now that's a good question... I'll look when I get home. I just got the owners manual in the mail yesterday, I had to buy one from Yamaha the bike didn't have one when I got it, so all those bells and whistles that the bike has are new to me... What can I say this is the first time I've owned a bike with saddlebags let alone any of the other stuff she has... LOL.. I'm learning though...

I can tell you this site has been a godsend over the last couple of weeks, I think I've read every thread on the MKII as you guys call it,

Thanks

I don't believe the air shock system operates unless you have the key in the "ACC" position and have pushed buttons. In any case, it shouldn't leak down when you turn the motorcycle off.

More likely you're holding the brake when you're trying the front suspension. It has electric anti-dive units which don't work unless the ignition is turned on. They make a big difference in the feel of the front end.

Before you tear stuff apart try setting the rear to low and turn the damping dial by the passenger floor board to "1". If somebody stuck a progressive spring in there low pressure is plenty for 1 up, even a large guy.

I found that rear adjustment dial and it was set on 4, so I turned it down to 1 and took her for a quick ride, feels great barely felt the potholes I found...

Thanks again for all your help...

4! We ride two up on 2. To need 4 I imagine I'd have to pick up a really fat chick, her twin sister and all their cats.

Be carefull and don't put too much air in the front. You can blow seals!! I only run about 8 lb. Don't go over 15. At least I don't. Can't remember what they recomend.

He's got a MKII Royalle. No place to hook up the bicycle pump. Automatic controller won't over inflate them.

You may have a problem with the bushings on the swing arm and A arm for the rear shock. They may be seized up a little. They don't get any kind of lubrication, and several members have drilled and tapped holes for zerks fittings so you can add grease. Unfortunately there is no easy way to test this outside of jacking up the bike and removing the rear shock. Good winter project...

I don't pick up any heavy chicks, I think the wife might have something to say about that.. I'm not sure why the previous owner had it set so high. I got it from the son of the owner who had passed away last summer. He had no idea what it was or how much it was worth, he asked if I'd give him 500 for it and take it away... I almost dropped my checkbook while writing the check so I could get out of there. It only has 33,000 miles on it and it's in fantastic condition. I'm really looking forward to getting to put some miles on her this summer. I'll post some pics hopefully today, since it's raining I'm staying in and doing some minor work on her...

Thanks again for all your help,

:Venture:

• 4 months later...
I don't pick up any heavy chicks, I think the wife might have something to say about that.. I'm not sure why the previous owner had it set so high. I got it from the son of the owner who had passed away last summer. He had no idea what it was or how much it was worth, he asked if I'd give him 500 for it and take it away... I almost dropped my checkbook while writing the check so I could get out of there. It only has 33,000 miles on it and it's in fantastic condition. I'm really looking forward to getting to put some miles on her this summer. I'll post some pics hopefully today, since it's raining I'm staying in and doing some minor work on her...

Thanks again for all your help,

You have your mask on?