IGNORED

Ebay Electric Clothes Kit?

Iowa Guy

The reality is that inside most of the heated commercial clothing is the same type system that you see here. Only already done up in the garment. There's also a site on the net that tells you how to do this exact same thing.

At least this guys got all the parts put together in one package. I would definitely buy a heat controller if I was to ever wear heated clothing myself.

look under the guys listings of his other auctions, he has the same thing for 19.99 also. i bought one of his 19.99 kits. i have not yet installed it in my vest as i just received it about a week ago, but all is there to do the project if you are so inclined.

most people i talked to just have an on/off switch on their bought vest, so that is what i plan to do also.

i read the article that someone did on the venturerider forum, and this kit includes all wire hookup and silicone wire needed to do the project. i had looked at all my local electrical suppliers in the area and could not find the silicone wire, so in my humble opinion, this is a good deal, and i am happy with what was delivered. let me know how you make out. cheers, Scott

but is his "specal heated clothing wire" silicone insulated?

BTW this looks like his non-ebay web site, or at least where he gets his stuff at:

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HC

Here is a site that tells you how to make your own heated clothing:

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/heatedclothing.html

and some more here:

http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

Curtis Traylor did his own vest. He used Teflon coated wire. I didn't reread the thread but as I recall he listed a web site where he got his wire.

I had lunch with him last month and, as best I remember, he said he is going to add a temp controller.

Here is the LINK to the thread.

Just a word of caution.

If you accidentally burn the installation on Teflon wire, it puts off Perfluoroisobutylene gas, which is a asphyxiating agent, but if your clothing is on fire, the Perfluoroisobutylene gas will be the least of your worries.

I don't recommend using Teflon insulated wire in MOST applications, however for the heating element in clothing, it should be OK.....

installed the kit, and my wife is happy, whew! it took a while to hand stitch the wire onto a fleece liner that zips out of her coat. zig zagged wire up and down and made one run down and back up each of the sleeves. hooked up to a cigarette plug as i already had a lighter on the back of our bike. cant wait for some colder weather to give it a good test on a longer run.

I made mine and it works great. The reason for the teflon coated wire is that it will withstand a higher temperature. I used 30 gauge multistrand teflon coated wire. It cost a little more but is more durable than the solid core wire and more pliable. I have yet to install an reastat because if it gets too hot I just turn it off for a while. You must use at least 30 foot or it will be too hot. This wire has 1 ohm resistence per 10 foot and will will generate about 50 watts of heat and pull about 3 to 5 amps I think. I have a thread in here somewhere that gives all the mathmatical equasions for figuring amperage and watts of heat.