IGNORED

Front Tire for my Kumho Rear

First_N_Last

Ok... I've been doing a lot of searches for a front tire to match my rear Kumho on my 2008 VRS.

The narrowed down choices for me are:

- Bridgestone Battlax BT-020 150/80R-16 71V

- Michelin Commander 130/90H-16

- Michelin Commander 150/80H-16

- Avon AM41 Venom 150/80H-16

I want a radial - straight tread in the middle - high mileage - reliable.

There is at best 2500 miles left on mine (2 months riding).

Any suggestions, comments or experience to share from the Dark Siders?

johnb

This is my favorite of the bunch so far...

Bridgestone - G853 Exedra OE Radial Front Tire Size - 150/80VR-16 G

The tread seems to be the best to prevent wobble. After I put my CT on I had wobble on curves above 70. It appears that as the front tire has continued to wear, the wobble has moved up in speed to wear it wobbles on curve up grades above 80 or 90. I want as much straight deep tread in a radial to match the Kuhmo, as I can get.

This is my favorite of the bunch so far...

Bridgestone - G853 Exedra OE Radial Front Tire Size - 150/80VR-16 G

The tread seems to be the best to prevent wobble. After I put my CT on I had wobble on curves above 70. It appears that as the front tire has continued to wear, the wobble has moved up in speed to wear it wobbles on curve up grades above 80 or 90. I want as much straight deep tread in a radial to match the Kuhmo, as I can get.

:think: I thought you were asking? I too have to soon replace the front to go with my Kumho. Have you been using the Exedra, or are you planning to? If just planning what have you had on the front. I still ride the OEM Dunlop. I understood many were going with a Pirelli rear reversed on the front.

:think: I thought you were asking? I too have to soon replace the front to go with my Kumho. Have you been using the Exedra, or are you planning to? If just planning what have you had on the front. I still ride the OEM Dunlop. I understood many were going with a Pirelli rear reversed on the front.

I currently have a worn OEM Dunlop on the front & am looking for a better replacement.

A Pirelli rear reversed on the front? Have many done that & been happy?

I currently have a worn OEM Dunlop on the front & am looking for a better replacement.

A Pirelli rear reversed on the front? Have many done that & been happy?

I could be wrong, but I think I got most of my info from here.

Still am researching myself. Just like deciding to go to the darkside I'll try to make a decision that seems right

to me, given all the input I can get.

Edited by Wanderer
add text

I could be wrong, but I think I got most of my info from here.

Still am researching myself. Just like deciding to go to the darkside I'll try to make a decision that seems right

to me, given all the input I can get.

Thanks... that web site has a lot of info. It was interesting to know that some Valkyrie bikes shipped with Bias on the front & Radial on the rear.

It seems that the long term users also recommend Rear Bias tires on the front & to mount them with mounting direction normal (not reversed). A rear tire on the front is definitely NOT going to make it easier to handle my bike at less than 10 mph. However, it seems that the more you ride, the stronger your upper body gets to BULL it around.

I have to admit that I now have more to consider.

johnb

I have about 8k to go before I am done with my front Avon Venom. I had planned on replacing it with a Cobra Venom! I look forward to the continued updates to this thread! Intrigued about reversing a rear tire but only if the benefits outweigh the side effects!!!!

I'm running the Avon Venom rear tire in reverse on the front. No negative side effects, unless someone thinks longer tire life is bad. I ran this tire all last summer and I'm a long ways from having to replace it. I won't have to buy another tire for the front this year.

The recommended tire on the Delphi Darksiders forum is the Pirelli MT66. And whenever I need a new front I'll probably go with that... but for the time being I have the correct front ME880 on the front and it's been great.

The biggest thing is correct tire pressure, no matter what tire you use. If my experiences are any indicator then most gauges are not correct. That could be part of the wobble issue some have reported.

The recommended tire on the Delphi Darksiders forum is the Pirelli MT66. And whenever I need a new front I'll probably go with that... but for the time being I have the correct front ME880 on the front and it's been great.

The biggest thing is correct tire pressure, no matter what tire you use. If my experiences are any indicator then most gauges are not correct. That could be part of the wobble issue some have reported.

Yeah, that's the site, but I've lost the bookmark. I did a google, but didn't come up with it.

Can you post it BigBoy. Thanks

:fingers-crossed-emo

Well, I have placed my order for a tire. My front tire tread depth is down to about 1/32.

Normally I would have bought the Pirelli MT66, but I found a good price on a venom.

I have bought...

150/80HB-16 (77H) Avon Venom AM42 Rear Motorcycle Tire Black Wall

from www.jakewilson.com

for $135.99 with free shipping

also found a $25 mail in rebate from Avon

Final Cost will be $110.99

The tire should be here in 3 work days or less & mounted by next weekend. Tire will be mounted with peak of tread lines pointing up as viewed from the front (probably reversed).

More status to come...

johnb

i also have the avon croba on the front. i was using a me 880-130 on the front, used it with the bfg 155. i racked up over 31,000 miles on the bfg before switching to a kuhmo. the croba and kuhmo work well together in my personal experiance, i have about 8,000 miles on this combo.

reguards

don c.

Thanks... that web site has a lot of info. It was interesting to know that some Valkyrie bikes shipped with Bias on the front & Radial on the rear.

It seems that the long term users also recommend Rear Bias tires on the front & to mount them with mounting direction normal (not reversed). A rear tire on the front is definitely NOT going to make it easier to handle my bike at less than 10 mph. However, it seems that the more you ride, the stronger your upper body gets to BULL it around.

I have to admit that I now have more to consider.

johnb

I don't know about all, but the book with MY Valkyrie had in big red letters to never put a bias ply tire on a Valkyrie, that it would cause instability. The Valkyrie's were specifically designed for radials only.

Gregg

My AM42 Venom tire arrived today.

I pulled off the front wheel & am getting the new tire mounted tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get the bike back together tomorrow night & take a quick test ride before dark.

johnb

Super! I'll be putting my Pirelli on the front Saturday, maybe we can make some in time

comparison's? Might be interesting.

;)

Super! I'll be putting my Pirelli on the front Saturday, maybe we can make some in time

comparison's? Might be interesting.

;)

Yes... actual comparison will be great for us & others.

I ride at least 10,000 motorcycle miles each year.

The tire is on, I will report the mileage, set the tire pressure & take a quick highspeed test ride for wobble. Then I will report it here.

johnb