IGNORED

A Trivial (but satisfying) Mod

rumboogy

OK...no pictures yet, but maybe tomorrow.

Now some background. I love the size of the saddle bags, but the little rectangle depressions in each saddle bag are kinda useless and the RSV toolkit barely fits in there.

So I thought I would see what I could do to make it more TOOL friendly and also less disruptive when I have my saddle bags packed. Here's what I decided to do with the RIGHT SIDE saddle bag to make it more organized.

First I went to WallyWorld (no not my house...Walmart), and purchased a plastic tray (kitchen area)...which was 6"x15"x2"...I think it cost about $10.

Next, I took the foam rubber liner out and traced it on some HEAVY card board and cut it out with a sharp knife so that I had an identical copy of the liner (except in cardboard).

Then I velcroed the tray to the bottom of the saddle bag and butted the end up against the BACK of the saddle bag (actually not butted...I left about 1/8th of an inch)....so that the tray sat off centered and towards the back.

I took my cardboard copy and laid it in the saddle bag and marked where the FRONT of the tray was located on the liner. Once I had it marked, I took out the cardboard liner and cut the liner along the mark I made for the tray. So I now have two card pieces...the back end and the front end. I cut another piece of cardboard 6" wide and 2" tall. (this was to be my hinge.

I attached the small cut piece to the back piece with duct tape and left about a 1/8th inch gap and then attached the front piece and also left about 1/8" gap and again secured it with duct tape.

Now I had a single piece of liner made out of cardboard that had a "step" or hinge towards the front. I secured the hinge so that it would be flexible and yet still strong by using more duct tape. OK...so now I am done with the liner and set it into the saddle bag OVER the long rectangle tray and then the front portion rested on the bottom of the saddle bag. PERFECT FIT!!!

Now, to make it look better I had bought some trunk carpet at AutoZone and I cut a piece larger than the liner and then spray 3M adhesive over the top of the liner and then mounted the CARPET to the cardboard and pressed it all in place.

It works PERFECTLY and takes up only a little more space than not having it all, BUT gives me a placed to "hide" my tools, gauges and other maintenance items I don't use that often. It looks MUCH better than the original liner and is much more efficient use of space (for me at least).

I will add pictures tomorrow.

Wally

OK...my lazy butt went out and took a few pics...it really does look pretty good...of course if I did another one, I could get it even closer to a tight fit...HOWEVER, too tight a fit and the liner just does not go in really easy.

Here are the pics...

Wally

OK...my lazy butt went out and took a few pics...it really does look pretty good...of course if I did another one, I could get it even closer to a tight fit...HOWEVER, too tight a fit and the liner just does not go in really easy.

Here are the pics...

Wally

Thanks for the photos! Really illustrates your words.

Dave

Ooops...I forgot the tray underneath the carpeted liner...So my tray actually holds a CRUZER TOOLS tool pouch, a progressive tire pump, a dial tire gauge, tire repair kit, wire, zip ties (numerous sizes), and electrical tape (in a plastic bag).

Yep...all in there. The tool kit not only has the normal tools...but I even have a metric socket set. AND underneath the tray in the depressed area...the ORIGINAL tool kit is still in there.

You're right Cougar...most of the time on luggage rack...but he watched me do a little mod today. :dancefool:

Thanks guys...Like i said before...it's more practical than purty. :shock3:

But I still think it turned out pretty well.

Wally

Bob, forget the morph, you need to make room for precious. Forget the other projects and protect the Crown Jewel.

Well, I figure I will run out of bling to add to the trike sometime this summer, and I really want to get a 2 wheeler going while I can still ride one...