IGNORED

Another Clutch Slipping

I have an 07 Venture with 20k miles on it.

Last Fall, I noiced the clutch starting to slip when I 'roll on' the throttle. I just lived with it with plans to take care of it during the Winter.

Well here it is Spring, and I haven't delt with it yet.

I suspect that I could go to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty, but I would probably just end up with the same problem in another 20k miles or worse yet, get a noisey whining clutch.

How long can I go with it slipping like this? I would think that it should be changed ASAP.

So, I am thinking about an aftermarket clutch and doing it myself.

There are several threads about this, but I was unable to find a consensus as to which way to go.

Are they difficult to change? - I did this as a teenager in the 70s, I'm guessing it isn't much different.

Which aftermarket is the best to go with?

craigr

Make sure you are not using the "fuel saving" oils that are on the market. That will mess up your fiber discs. It could also just be a weak clutch diaphram spring. It happened on mine at 15,000miles and I replaced just the spring....case solved. Brian

Guest human4m

I just took mine apart this past weekend, and hit the plates with some emery paper, and it made HUGE difference. No more slippage!

Unfortunately I forgot to buy the gasket ahead of time, but I went old-school and made my own, the easy way.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rx5hGKt1PY]YouTube- 54 How to Make Your Own Gaskets![/ame]

Had my 08 down for a clutch about a month ago. Yamaha fixed it under warrenty and I had 60K on the clock. The even put in the PCW parts I provided at no cost to me. Not one cent. nothing nada zilch. I did pay somewhere around 80 bucks for the PCW parts with shipping.:thumbsup:

You don't need to replace the disc's just get the stronger spring, rough up the metal disc's and you're set. Someone mentioned just roughing up the disc and putting it back as it was. I think he will be doing that one again in a few thousand miles.

Do the upgrade and be done with it.

By the way the Yamaha disc's are as good as any, the spring is to light weight.

Also pay attention to what was said about the oil.

Good Luck,

BOO

I would try the dealer first after checking and making sure I wasn't using "energy conserving oil". If the dealer wants to charge you anything say NOPE and do it yourself. Ponch helped change mine out and the job takes about 30 minutes. If your metal disc aren't blued/worn you dont even need to sand them. Get the parts form our classifieds or PCW (both are same parts) classified parts are chaper for you. follow the directions from the Tech pages and if you have a problem call one of us on the VR assistance list or buy someone a six pack of beer and get some assistance with it. Its so easy a caveman can do.

One thing I havent seen mentioned here are the clutch spring bolts. Do not re-use the old ones. Spring (no pun intended) for new bolts. I did the Barnett upgrade about 6 years ago using Barnetts carbon fiber discs and the stock original metal plates. Thought I could get away with re-using the original bolts since the torque setting is so low even though it was recommended at the time to replace the bolts. Well, one of the bolt heads snapped off in the basket (no, I didnt overtighten) and spent another 1/2 hour with a drill and easy-outs and a lot of luck. I ended up buying new stainless steel allen head bolts, which worked out fine.