IGNORED

2006 Tour Deluxe? Good deal?

ajlyoung1221

Guessing this is at a dealer and is a left over bike, right? Unless I'm wrong you will have the 5yr warranty & unlimited miles warranty ..I would try and get them down some more If I could

Think my Credit Union valued my 2006 RSTD at $9,400.00. Before taxes I bought mine with 9,968mi for $6,700.00 not trying to be mean or anything about the price I paid, BUT I don't have the 5yr warranty either.

They were wanting $7,849.00 and I talked them down to 6,700.00 so you may have a chance on getting your down some more?

I would try for 8,000.00 if not 9,000 is still a good deal cant touch an 2010 RSTD for that price!!!!

Thanks Buddy,

This is new from a dealership. They actually want 12k, sticker from 06 says 16k. I told them $9k, but my father said to get some feedback from this forum. He has a 2000 RSV, and is a member. It is between this bike and a '07 Heritage Softtail.

I would say so,I gave 10,900 for my leftover '07 in'08.And remember,if it was'nt titled,the warrenty only starts when its put into service.If this is the bike you think you're going to enjoy,it's still a super buy.It does'nt look like there are going to be anymore Tour Deluxes,so the supply of these bikes is going to start drying up.Just look at the Star Motorcycle website if you want to see the future direction for their touring bikes.Best of luck in your decision,Herb.

If it comes with the full 5 year warranty,,, then you are looking at a new RSTD.

And,,,, they ain't making any more,, and I would vote YES on it.

Does it have the warranty?

Your other question is, do you hold on to a vehicle or do you jump around.

I love my 2006 RSTD don't care about resale cause I plan to keep it.

If you keep it, you will get your money out of it.

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

I just bought my 08 with 1300 miles for $6500.00 remember the 5 year warrenty transfers on a used RSTD for free. Does not sound like that great of a deal. Remember once you drive it of the showroom floor it is a used 2006 miles and the fact you bought it fime minutes ago does not matter. the nada would be 9290.

Well I did not read all the way through, if it was between the tour deluxe and the heritage. get the tour deluxe. 5 year warranty, cheaper accessories, cruise control, air suspension liquid cooled, quick detach sissybar and windshield just to mention a few advantages and then there is the cost of servicing and having to buy all the harley clothes.

Hey Adam,

Welcome aboard! I told you that you would get some good insight on this forum. I didn't realize the TD had cruise! I guess I haven't looked them over. It is sounding like a pretty good deal and for what you are saving over the Harley you can buy your dad a pretty nice Birthday present!!

dad

Hey Randy - sell him yours at a great price! You've got that Venture to pick up - ride it out here and drop it off - he's my son!!! He lives in Texas. I didn't realize he was looking at bikes when I found that Venture but he will be happy with a Tour Deluxe.

I looked at Yamaha - HD - Kawasaki - Honda - Suzuki - Etc...

Several reasons I came back to the RSTD is the XVZ1300 motor - bullet proof motor!!!! Next to the Gold Wing this motor XVZ1300 with proper maintenance. will run 300,000 with out a major overhaul Wont see a HD motor do that....

Another is the Cruise - I love the Electronic Cruise control!!!!!!

Plus being two bikes in one. Cruiser & Touring bike all in one...

Good Luck

Oh and remember to Post some photos too.....

Welcome to the Family Adam

WELCOME.........:happy34:

I got my '06 in '08 with 2000 miles for $9300. That was the pay off on the seller's note. It was also more than my credit union would finance. If you are planning to finance, that may be an issue--they won't finance more than blue book.

If I were to haggle with a dealership, I might try to go for the lowest price, then ask them to switch out the tires for new tires. The stock tires are crap, IMO. I run an Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front and a DUNLOP MV 85B-15 77H Elite 3 on the rear. It makes a world of difference.

Good luck! The '06 TD is the fastest in the family!

Dave

Just a few more thoughts here:

Something that you may want to check is when was the bike put together? If it was assembled in 06 and has been sitting on the floor with old oil and has been run a few times you could be looking at needing a carb job, and who knows what else.

Take a look at the brake fluid and clutch fluid reservoirs on the handlebars. If the fluid is anything other than clear, you could also request that the bike is fully serviced before you take delivery.

I'd definitely insist on new tires (if they are the original ones that were shipped with the bike) and if they fuss about it, take a look at the date code on the tires (marked as a DOT code with 4 digits - the first two are the week of the year the tire was produced and the last two are the year). You can point that out to them and use that as some leverage.

Finally: Welcome to the site!! Where abouts are you in Texas and what dealer is this bike at? Many of us have a good feel for our local dealers and may be able to give some insight as to how much the dealer may have actually done or know about with your prospect RSTD.

My opinion about the bike: Not the greatest deal, BUT with fresh tires, carb job, all fluids changed, etc $9K OUT THE DOOR for a bike that you plan on riding for a few years and lots and lots of miles - I'd probably do it. The 5 year warranty IS worth a little something.

Good luck!! Keep 'er rubber down :thumbsup2:

Hey Adam - if they offer a discount on accessories you might consider a light bar and a different seat. If the TD seats are anything like the Venture - you will want a different seat or at least get the Butler Mod done to the seat on it. You can read about the Butler mod on this forum. Hope you they take your offer!

Okay kid,

You got us wondering where it went,,, when you said "tomorrow".

Especially as this has turned into a family thing (and this is a big family).

And Dad was not running negative. That's always good.

If you don't think it is a good deal, at the price you already negotiated, just post the dealer name and location here,,,, and I'll bet someone else with connections here has it in a week.

I think my local dealer will give bike buyers 20% on accessories (Yamaha OEM) for a period of time, like your dad said.

I got my bike used at a good price, so I can say this: Don't listen to us who tell you how much we saved on a used bike. You are looking at a NEW bike. The sweet part of this deal is the FULL 5 year warranty. They don't break often but that warranty is a real good piece of mind equalizer when something goes wrong. (Fuel pump $350, rear shock $600 and that's just parts.)

AND,,,, if you do turn it around in, say 4 years,, the remaining 1 year warranty will be a BIG selling point. (And, speaking like a dad, put as much down as you can and pay it off as quick as you can, so if you do want to sell it then, it's all gravy.)

Anyhow, Adam, let us know how it goes.

Mike G in SC

(with 63K+ on my 2006 RSTD. Don't tell anyone, but in about two years, I may look for a dealer left over '09 to start over with a 5 yr warranty. Even if I have to go to TX to get it.)

• 2 years later...

I'm new to the site, but will offer that I just purchased an 2006 Royal Star Midnight Tour Deluxe with 10,000 miles for $8,500, this bike has everything, and having owned it for a week now, I love it ! Was the price a little high, yes maybe, but the bike is in immaculate condition, well maintained, with many accessories, and I'll probably ride the life out of it. I plan for this bike to be my first, and last.

Good luck w/your decision.

Congratulations! I have the 06 midnight as well. I love it. The midnights are great looking bikes. Gets a lot of compliments. Takes a little time to get all the chrome clean though.

Enjoy the ride!

rstddog

They're faster too!!!:stirthepot:

Two years ago I picked up my '05 with 5200 miles for well under $7k. It had alot of extra chrome, passing lights and a new rear tire. They (used bike dealer) wanted alot more for it but seeing the cash helped get the deal. It had less than 6 weeks warranty remaining but I couldnt find anything wrong.

Edited by Drkngas
forgot to mention it also had Khromewerks pipes on it!