IGNORED

Navigator gets cold legs

Aimhigh

Riding as a passenger, my wife gets a lot of wind on her legs. This makes her uncomfortable (duh)...what is the best way to keep her warm back there (CAREFUL with the suggestions!!!!)? I know there are the Buddy Rich devices to help the rider, but am unaware of anything like that for the navigator. We have considered chaps or the Kevlar jeans that are currently being discussed, but are not convinced either of these would be the best solution. What have y'all done to rectify this situation?:confused24: :think:

I guess I need to add...the problem is when we leave sunny Texas...you guys are TOO much!!!!

Edited by Aimhigh
Clarification

Riding as a passenger, my wife gets a lot of wind on her legs. This makes her uncomfortable (duh)...what is the best way to keep her warm back there (CAREFUL with the suggestions!!!!)? I know there are the Buddy Rich devices to help the rider, but am unaware of anything like that for the navigator. We have considered chaps or the Kevlar jeans that are currently being discussed, but are not convinced either of these would be the best solution. What have y'all done to rectify this situation?:confused24: :think:

I think chaps are a good option. You're in Texas for crying out loud. You can get too warm.

:080402gudl_prv:

Come up here and ride in Wisconsin. She will never again complain about being cold in Texas.

Seriously, chaps are a really good solution. Another option is actual motorcycle riding pants. Firstgear makes a heavier lined (removeable) cool weather riding pant that includes CE armor at the knees and hips. If I recall correctly, they are available in women's sizes. She could easily ride down to 35 or 40 degrees without being cold in these pants. Even colder if she wore a pair of jeans or longjohn (or winter weight Under Armor) under them.

Recommend www.newenough.com if you want to go the Firstgear avenue. They are a banner sponsor of this website and are great folks to work with. Purchase several things from them.

RR

As others have stated chaps or a motorcycle pant with removeable liner etc etc.

Or if you want to go a real inexpensive route (note that you will be giving up crash protection) for 10-20 bucks you can pick up a pair of [packable] wind/rain pants which do not have insulation but do protect from the wind. Or for a little more you could go with a pair of snow pants (insulated wind pants).

I keep a pair of the packable wind pants in my saddle bags at all times for rain protection. Occasionally when the temps dip below 30 I'll put them on to keep the wind off my legs as well (after all, windburn is NO fun at all). They do okay. The ones I have I picked up a few years ago (when I lived in northern Michigan) at a sporting goods store (gander mountain, bass pro or Academy, I don't remember which). Again they pack down to about 6"x4"x4" or so.

If she is cold almost all the time then you are probably better off with something that has more insulation than just the wind pants. Hope that helps!

Some examples:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/apparel/womens/ski/pants&start=8&selectedSKU=0759-02016-6004

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/apparel/womens/ski/pants&start=0&selectedSKU=0759-02016-6001

My wife and I both have a set of insulated wind pants and jackets, bought them at K-Mart 2 seasons back. Pants were $17 each, jackets were $12 each. Figured $29 a set was worth a gamble, and it turned out to be an AWESOME investment. I routinely ride in 30 degree weather with those items covering my jeans and riding jacket. And I stay completely comfortable.

IMO you can't beat 'em for the cost. Except that you don't look "biker cool" while wearing them!

If it's just the wind that makes her chilled the rain pants would be good they do block the wind. Chaps are ok, but if her hips are cold as well they don't help. I also have a pair of ski bib's that do well. Got them cheap too $25 on a website called fogdog.com. Figured if they didn't work I wasn't out a lot of money. Guess it just depends on how cold it is when you're riding on which way to go.

Good luck

Margaret

riding pants, with back, kidney, knee and shin protectors, plus a zip in quilted liner; legs are never cold. Seems the price was $89 as I remember. They are heavy, protective, but not restrictive. They also reflect headlights, which I have on all my gear.

\www.fieldshfer.com

JackZ

:bawling:not a lot of $$$ to cry over either if you don't like them. Jz