IGNORED

draincock valve leaking..

Guest seuadr

Guest seuadr

Question for you guys, didn't find anything on the forums ( but i might be blind! )

My draincock is leaking, and i see that there is an O-Ring that goes on that valve, but i have three questions:

1. is it ok to use a Viton O-Ring in there?

2. How do i get the darn thing out?

3. which position is it supposed to be in during regular opperation? the book shows you turning it to "on" for flushing the system, but does that mean that normally off is supposed to point to the left (as you face the headlight, looking at the valve)

thanks again!:sun:

Pull up the IPC, it shows all the parts of the drain cock.

Basicly you have to dissassembly it one piece at a time and remove it.

Most likley you will have to order all new parts, the O-ring, and gasket.

Or make a new gasket. I would assume you could probable get a new O-Ring at an auto parts store, if needed.

Yeah! Weird huh! Kinda like Windows......Push Start to end.

It's "On" to bypass the thermo and drain the system. The "Off" position is for running the bike. You can also set it to "On" if your thermo would stick to get by until you can get it fixed. A bandaid only. Not for long term.

Turn the valve to the "On" position. There is a small screw in the out side (right) side of the valve. Remove that and wiggle the valve handle back and forth a bit and it will work it's way out.

Hold a rag under it to catch the parts coming out. There is a ball bearing in there that is the detent for the two position. Hard to find once it's rolling around on the floor.

The o-ring should be easy to match up at a parts store.

These bikes have this happen all the time when the temps drop. Most will leave a puddle all winter and then once the weather warms up...it quits. If it's dripping pretty good a new o-ring is cheap.

Guest seuadr
Pull up the IPC, it shows all the parts of the drain cock.

Basicly you have to dissassembly it one piece at a time and remove it.

Most likley you will have to order all new parts, the O-ring, and gasket.

Or make a new gasket. I would assume you could probable get a new O-Ring at an auto parts store, if needed.

IPC?

i have a full set of O rings in a huge variety of sizes, i'm pretty sure i have the right size. i don't see a gasket, though. i'm looking at park # 26H-12560-00-00 on the "Radiator Hose" parts schematic and only see the valve, the two hose connections and the O-ring i'm a little confused about a gasket there? i'm guessing that, now that i'm looking at the schematic, there is supposed to be a screw in a spot that i only see an open hole on my bike. I suspect that is why i can't tell how to get it apart!

thanks in advance for any clarification or advice!

If your missing the screw that would more that likely be helping the leak. Nothing there to hold it all in place. I'd be surprised if the valve assembly hadn't worked it's way out a bit.

As far as the gasket for that.........lost me. Just the o-ring is the only thing that seals anything there.

Guest seuadr

awesome! you guys have helped me solve two problems at once.. i had it set to "on " because .. well.. i wanted it to be ON! that explains why my heat is all over the place at stopsigns and why the water light is on! the other entertaining thing is.. it only drips ( and then very slowly, quarter sized wet spot overnight ) when it is set to "on" when i turn it "off" it is fine! :D i may leave this till down the line as the next few weeks i am busy as heck with homework and school etc. almost finished with my degree, can't mess it up now!

:sun:

At one of the VTS meets one year the factory rep indicated that you should turn that valve on reserve and leave it there. Seems they cause a problem from time to time because the O ring sticks and after you turn it, it will leak. That's what I always did and just used the gas Gage so I didn't run out of gas.

BOO