Thinking bout buying K&N filters for my 08 RSV and wondering if anyone could tell me if they really raise the HP or make it feel like its breathing better? I put one on a V-8 Dodge Dakota and could not tell any difference. Also, where would be a good place to buy them? Thought I would tap the vast knowledge pool that we have here for answers.

Thanks,

Glenn

I could not really tell the difference in my 07 RSMV except for the chrome covers that I bought with them. :big-grin-emoticon:

I put a stock replacement on my VW Jetta Diesel and got a couple more MPG out of it.

That put it at 53 MPG. Not much it any performance.

The only place I would use K&N air filters is in off public road racing.

More dirt gets into the engine increasing wear.

The flow only comes into play when you are in a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition. my bike is in WOT only about 0.5% or less of its operating life, so the increased cost of purchase, increased nose, increased wear on the engine is not worth it for me.

I would put my hard earned $$$ on Uncle Yammie Engineers that specifically designed for this engine.

I did too...bought the Yamaha Chrome filter covers and used the recommended K&N filters for the covers.

:confused24:

IMHO

That is where I would NOT use the K&N filters. Rhinos, ATVs, Motocross bikes. Definitely not.

you did note I said off PUBLIC road racing.

this would include Drag Racing, and close course racing on road bikes.

I would not use K&N air filters in any high dust environemt, UNLESS I had a deep budget to rebuild engines OFTEN.

I've got the K&N filters on my 2007, had them on the 2005 RSTD as well.

Didn't notice a performance difference. Had them on because the stock filters don't fit under the chrome air filter box covers (as others have stated/posted).

If you're not changing the covers, I'd save your $.

Just my opinion/experience.

I have the K&N on mine and I honestly believe there is no problem in using them. They do open up the air through the system (more air more fuel in the ratio, fuel economy will degrade somewhere)

However, a properly charged K&N filter will do as good if not better job at keeping your air system clean. Considering that my wealerdealership was going to charge me as much for new OEM filters as were a new set of K&N, I went with the K&N as I have had them on my VStar over several mods and yes, you do notice the increase in the HP and Torque (dyno sheets show the difference as well).

Though noticeable difference on the VStar, I can't really say if I notice much of a power difference on the Venture.. Mine's a little peppier than my buddy's 2008, but is that all due to the K&N? Its about the only difference tween the bikes..

What I did find different with the K&N on the VStar and the Venture is that the Venture doesn't need recharging anywhere as often as the VStar does.. good air pod design on the Venture then?

To each his own I guess.