IGNORED

Aux Fuel Tank - 3 gallons

RedRider

OK, LD rally season is upon us. I am reviewing my setup and realize a bigger/better aux fuel cell is needed. The IBA rules allow up to 11.5 gallons to be carried on the bike at any time. With the stock tank of 5.9 gallons, this allows 5.5 gallons extra to be carried.

My current aux tank is 3 gallons. I am going to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank (don't want to push it and get disqualified due to tolerances). Also, the 3 gallon tank does not have a vent (although it appears to have a vented cap) or a grounding lug. Both these items are required to run in an IBA sanctioned event (or an event that uses the IBA rules). These features are not required to use this tank to run a SS1k or any of the other 'self documented' IBA rides. Only required for the IBA Rally and related organized rallies.

Therefore, the current 3 gallon tank is up for sale. It works great to extend your station to station range 50% (to about 300 miles). It is very easy to plumb this into your current fuel line using a simple brass 'T' available at any auto parts store. The tank has an internal baffle to keep the gas from sloshing about.

The pictures show the tank mounted on a board with a check valve. I would like to keep the board and check valve (and hose) since the new tank will be the same style - just bigger and with the vent and grounding lug. I will be glad to provide a pattern for the construction of new mounting board. The mounting bands are included.

$125 including shipping CONUS. $100 if no shipping required (would prefer this since I suspect UPS will be kind of squimish about shipping a used gas tank).

Tanks for looking:smile5:

RR

The IBA rules allow up to 11.5 gallons to be carried on the bike at any time. RR

Just gotta get a Boss Hoss. :mo money:

I think they come with 11 gallon tank new.:confused24::whistling:

Course that V8 can burn it up in less than 200 miles,:think: maybe that won't help much after all.

Later, Scooter Bob

Course that V8 can burn it up in less than 200 miles,:think: maybe that won't help much after all.

Later, Scooter Bob

Scooter,

Now that you have that comfy Butt Butler seat you need this so you can get more than 400 miles in a day.

RR

OK, LD rally season is upon us. I am reviewing my setup and realize a bigger/better aux fuel cell is needed. The IBA rules allow up to 11.5 gallons to be carried on the bike at any time. With the stock tank of 5.9 gallons, this allows 5.5 gallons extra to be carried.

My current aux tank is 3 gallons. I am going to upgrade to a 5 gallon tank (don't want to push it and get disqualified due to tolerances). Also, the 3 gallon tank does not have a vent (although it appears to have a vented cap) or a grounding lug. Both these items are required to run in an IBA sanctioned event (or an event that uses the IBA rules). These features are not required to use this tank to run a SS1k or any of the other 'self documented' IBA rides. Only required for the IBA Rally and related organized rallies.

Therefore, the current 3 gallon tank is up for sale. It works great to extend your station to station range 50% (to about 300 miles). It is very easy to plumb this into your current fuel line using a simple brass 'T' available at any auto parts store. The tank has an internal baffle to keep the gas from sloshing about.

The pictures show the tank mounted on a board with a check valve. I would like to keep the board and check valve (and hose) since the new tank will be the same style - just bigger and with the vent and grounding lug. I will be glad to provide a pattern for the construction of new mounting board. The mounting bands are included.

$125 including shipping CONUS. $100 if no shipping required (would prefer this since I suspect UPS will be kind of squimish about shipping a used gas tank).

RR

I think my wife looks better in the passenger seat than the gas tank. :whistling::whistling:

I think my wife looks better in the passenger seat than the gas tank. :whistling::whistling:

No question about it. However, can she go 300 miles between stops? My wife certainly can't. (Come to think about it, as I am getting older, I am finding it harder to go 300 miles between stops.)

And I should add, in the way I have this mounted, you need to remove the rear seat and bolt this onto the grab bars. There are different ways to mount it, some have mounted it in the trunk, some on the trunk rack.

If I am using the aux tank, the bride is not along for the ride.

RR

Well, let me just state that our tank capacity filled up at one stop with 5.7 gallons. I was still willing to ride further but we did not want to run the risk of running out of gas and I simply was not thrilled with the thought of pushing the bike through the Georgia mountains until we got to a gas station! :whistling:I have no problem riding hard and fast and more than likely can outlast the guys! :cool10: Just ask Sleeperhawk and he will tell you the truth!:beer:

No question about it. However, can she go 300 miles between stops? My wife certainly can't. (Come to think about it, as I am getting older, I am finding it harder to go 300 miles between stops.)

And I should add, in the way I have this mounted, you need to remove the rear seat and bolt this onto the grab bars. There are different ways to mount it, some have mounted it in the trunk, some on the trunk rack.

If I am using the aux tank, the bride is not along for the ride.

RR

Edited by Sleeperhawk's Mechanic

Well' date=' let me just state that our tank capacity filled up at one stop with 5.7 gallons. I was still willing to ride further but we did not want to run the risk of running out of gas and I simply was not thrilled with the thought of pushing the bike through the George mountains until we got to a gas station! :whistling:I have no problem riding hard and fast and more than likely can outlast the guys! :cool10: Just ask Sleeperhawk and he will tell you the truth!:beer:[/font']

I bow to Sleeperhawk's incredible fortune in finding such a superior riding partner. He is a lucky man.

RR

Hmm, not sure I want to go here, but ..... was that on the bike?? :stickpoke: Was that 5.7 gallon after a non stop ride. :confused07: You mean Jeff was willing to push:whistling::whistling: And did Jeff have a couple of brewskies and you didn't, cutting into his stamina? :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Sorry, just couldn't resist:confused24:

Well' date=' let me just state that our tank capacity filled up at one stop with 5.7 gallons. I was still willing to ride further but we did not want to run the risk of running out of gas and I simply was not thrilled with the thought of pushing the bike through the Georgia mountains until we got to a gas station! :whistling:I have no problem riding hard and fast and more than likely can outlast the guys! :cool10: Just ask Sleeperhawk and he will tell you the truth!:beer:[/font']

Btw, is that a gravity feed tank, I wouldn't mind adding a tank now that I have the sidecar, it seems to cut into my mpg's, but I would probably install it in the sidecar which would necessitate a pump. I have found though that straight gas gives me better mileage than that ethanol enhanced crap. Greenhouse gasses be damned :cool10:

Of course a 2 gallon container is cheaper:D but not as safe:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis

Boomer.....who sez having a woman and cheescake on de scoot is certainly de cat's meow .

Yep, Ive ridden with 2 women also, but i actually thought of BOTH of those gals as 'cheesecake'....

:D

RR

I note that the mounting board is for an RSV. I wonder how it would mount on an RSTD? I usually use my luggage as a back rest when long distancing. I don't suppose this would be safe on the "10Lb Max" luggage rack?

Must it mount flat? Can it be mounted on-end? I have seen tanks used on a hitch, and hopefully I'll have one soon. Have you seen tanks stored on/in trailers?

Dave

Later, Scooter Bob

My buddy has the big Boss Hoss. 502 cid. He gets about 10-13 mpg. I case he needs more power, he has nitrous. Everybody needs a bike with more than 600hp :big-grin-emoticon:

I note that the mounting board is for an RSV. I wonder how it would mount on an RSTD? I usually use my luggage as a back rest when long distancing. I don't suppose this would be safe on the "10Lb Max" luggage rack?

Must it mount flat? Can it be mounted on-end? I have seen tanks used on a hitch, and hopefully I'll have one soon. Have you seen tanks stored on/in trailers?

Dave

Dave,

This would not mount on end as the bung hole is on the bottom center (directly opposite of the filler neck). Also, gasoline weighs 6 lbs/gal. Adding 18 lbs to the weight of the tank (about 3 lbs) would exceed 2X the luggage rack capacity.

Sampson Tanks make some tail tanks for FJRs and some other bikes. I have also seen a Summit tank mounted on a trailer hitch of a Goldwing. As for mounting an aux tank in a trailer, I don't like it. If the trailer ever got loose, you would have a broken hose spewing gas and a careening trailer with a bomb enclosed.

RR

OK, I've ordered my 5 gallon tank with the overflow vent and ground lug connection. I will have to see how well it will fit on the current mounting board. Should be OK, but we will have to see. I will post pics when it is installed.

This should give me about a 350 mile range. There are a lot of DQs within 350 miles.

RR

Red,

You are my hero! You have a 2000 RSV and replaced your wife with a fuel tank!

Actually, she will occasionally fly somewhere to meet me. She doesn't like the LD rides.

As a matter of fact, I am heading out May 1st to ride from my house (Fond du Lac, WI) to your town (San Antonio, TX) - straight thru. If my routing is correct, it is about 1325 miles.

If I can average 62 mph (including stops), it should take 21.5 hours. I will need to keep the gas stops to NASCAR pit stop times. My target is averaging 64 mph. This would allow me to get 1500 miles in 24 hours (IBA Bun Burner Gold). We shall see.

RR

Actually, she will occasionally fly somewhere to meet me. She doesn't like the LD rides.

As a matter of fact, I am heading out May 1st to ride from my house (Fond du Lac, WI) to your town (San Antonio, TX) - straight thru. If my routing is correct, it is about 1325 miles.

If I can average 62 mph (including stops), it should take 21.5 hours. I will need to keep the gas stops to NASCAR pit stop times. My target is averaging 64 mph. This would allow me to get 1500 miles in 24 hours (IBA Bun Burner Gold). We shall see.

RR

Ambition is awesome! And I thought I was gonna be doing something going 410 miles in 7.5 hours, not so much anymore!

Ben:nanner:

I just saw an ad for a completely tricked out LD ready bike. Wow, I have a long way to go. Will definetely need the stator upgrade. Check it out if you want to see what an Iron Butt Rally contender really looks like. Dual batteries, dual GPS, trip computer with wireless display, hydration system (I may steal that idea), aux fuel tank with extra lid (good idea), circuit breakers instead of fuses, HID aux lights, etc.

http://rpb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/LD-Events-Bikes/RTP/5760579_oHbfy#356216290_3e6WW

For sale $13,000.

That is just nuts.

RR