IGNORED

Helmets, helmets and more helmets

ronhenry4

I did alot of research when I bought our last helmets. The Scorpion EXO-200 3/4 helmets rated as high as Arai but at lot less cost. bought both of them for $240, have a fast switch system for changing form visor to shield in about 2-3 min. Have different shades for the shields. Headset compatible, and I think a 2 yr. warr. The wine red matches almost exactly with our '09 RSV.:thumbsup2: Whatever you buy, just remember to research all you can. "what's your head worth"

Ron,

I have tried quite a few myself and have settled on the Nolan modulars for a couple of reasons. The fit is very comfortable and I like the added flip down sun shield (newer ones with the internal flip are better). Noise is always a consideration however I have become addicted to ear plugs so that is mute (haha). Nolans also have a double safe flip release that may seem a bit of a pain however does eliminate any possible accidental opening on a face first landing. The glasses issue doesn't seem to be much of a problem either since I wear sunglasses all the time and have even put on my reading glasses over my sunglasses (yes it does look funny) and had no problem with the flip front. Finally the money issue, yes the Nolan will probably cost 2 bills or a little more however I tend to fall back on a saying a good friend once shared with me, "If you have a nickel head put it in a nickel helmet". I find it a bit humorous that many of us will not blink at spending mucho bucks on bling but flinch at the idea of laying down some jingle on the best protection money can buy.

Hope this helped.

Norm

I have the Nolan N102 Modular, with the OUTSIDE sun shield (N103 has INSIDE)

Its a heavy helmet, but I don't notice that anymore.

It is excellent for comfort, noise, headwobble at speed, and the NCom system works excellent with my iPhone.

Really, my only complaint is that the strap doesn't have a D-Ring on it as well, so that I can chain it to the bike. Not that I want to give up the quick-connect system, mind you.

Then again, I am always leary of chaining a helmet with the bluetooth gear in it to the bike while its unattended.

When we changed from 3/4 helmets I got Irene a SY-Max modular. She liked it, especially the internal sun shield, but it made her nose itch. She rode with the shield up for quite a while. That seems to have gone away and now she's very happy with it. Still don't know if it was mold release agent or a fabric treatment on the lining.

I got a FS-15 carbon. Red to more or less match Black Cherry. Very lightweight for a full face. Comfortable. Now that I've learned I can click the shield lock when it's open and use it to keep the shield open about a quarter inch in cold weather to keep my glasses from fogging up I'm a very happy camper too.

Headphones were easy to install in both. Boom type for hers - I used the ones from the 3/4s so I have spare parts. Full face type for mine. The hardest part was making that first cut in the polystyrene linings of new helmets.

I'd suggest you go to a bike gear shop and start trying stuff on until you find something you like. You can always go home and order it online once you find out what type you want and what size you need.

Guest seuadr

I got a FS-15 carbon. Red to more or less match Black Cherry. Very lightweight for a full face. Comfortable. Now that I've learned I can click the shield lock when it's open and use it to keep the shield open about a quarter inch in cold weather to keep my glasses from fogging up I'm a very happy camper too..

AWESOME! my FS-15 should be sitting on my porch when i get home monday. i was curious about it. glad to hear you like it. seemed to get really great reviews, and i got mine for 149 on some supersale that the motorcyclesuperstore was having.

:cool18:

• 1 month later...

Modular only way to go if you like your head. Glasses no problem and you have the ease of a 3/4 taking it off and on. There are a lot of different ones with different types of sheilds. I think net time I want the duel sheilds sun and clear. I like knowing my noggin is pretty well protected. I've gotten used to it!!!

I've had a Gmax full face and a Bell half helmet. The were both good, but I wanted one that could change with the temperatures. Here in Texas it can be 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon. So, after much searching, I recently bought a Shark Evoline Series 2 Wayer. It's major function is that the chin bar will rotate 180 degrees around and lock in place. This allows it to be either a full face, or 3/4 helmet. It meets DOT and ECE safety standards both open and closed. It also has an internal sun shield. Sun shield is a good name as it is a poor replacement for sunglasses. I wear sunglasses (they fit fine) and use the sun shield when I'm riding into the sun (this works VERY well). I paid $ 390.00 at Revilla.com, but am really pleased with it.

You'll have to cut and paste the link. I can't get all of it to hilight.

Nico

http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?modele=EVOLINE SERIE 2 WAYER Black Anthrac Silver&sous_gamme=EVOLINE&gamme=The SHARK Urban range&code_sous_gamme=EVOLINE&code_gamme=URBAN_RANGE&reference_modele=HE9065EKAS

Modular only way to go if you like your head. Glasses no problem and you have the ease of a 3/4 taking it off and on. There are a lot of different ones with different types of sheilds. I think net time I want the duel sheilds sun and clear. I like knowing my noggin is pretty well protected. I've gotten used to it!!!

I agree. Love modulars. Since we're on the topic of helmets, does anybody here use this review site?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Several years ago I stumbled across a really inexpensive modular that I use and like a lot. Well when I was looking for another helmet for my wife I thought "I don't want to go cheap on her" so I started doing reseach. Found this site, and guess what - these guys also like the same helmet that I've been using for years - the Zeus modular. Here's their review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-helmet.htm

So guess what, I bought her a Zeus too.

I too am a glasses wearer and I have zero problem with this helmet. It goes on and off without disturbing my glasses in the least. My wife's fits a bit more snug than mine and she's also a little more sensitive, so she doesn't like to wear her sunglasses with the helmet, but I think that's more her than the helmet.

Another bonus, this review states the cost of a Zeus as 85-100, but I don't think I paid more than $65 on ebay. Yeah, I love my noggin, but who say's paying $200-400 gets you a safer helmet? I just don't see it. This helmet meets all the safety standards of any other modular. I really think the more costly ones are just due to name brand advertising, prettier graphics, and maybe a few extra features that aren't that big of a deal to me.

So does anybody else here wear a Zeus or use the webBikeWorld review website?

I agree. Love modulars. Since we're on the topic of helmets, does anybody here use this review site?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Several years ago I stumbled across a really inexpensive modular that I use and like a lot. Well when I was looking for another helmet for my wife I thought "I don't want to go cheap on her" so I started doing reseach. Found this site, and guess what - these guys also like the same helmet that I've been using for years - the Zeus modular. Here's their review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-helmet.htm

So guess what, I bought her a Zeus too.

I too am a glasses wearer and I have zero problem with this helmet. It goes on and off without disturbing my glasses in the least. My wife's fits a bit more snug than mine and she's also a little more sensitive, so she doesn't like to wear her sunglasses with the helmet, but I think that's more her than the helmet.

Another bonus, this review states the cost of a Zeus as 85-100, but I don't think I paid more than $65 on ebay. Yeah, I love my noggin, but who say's paying $200-400 gets you a safer helmet? I just don't see it. This helmet meets all the safety standards of any other modular. I really think the more costly ones are just due to name brand advertising, prettier graphics, and maybe a few extra features that aren't that big of a deal to me.

So does anybody else here wear a Zeus or use the webBikeWorld review website?

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Don't remember what mine is but did'nt pay a bunch. I can't see a Shoei being that much better. Mine seems to be as good and was around 100 bucks

Was wearing a Zues flip front when I had the accident....and it sure saved my face :sign yeah that:

Couldn't believe the "gravel rash" all over the front, visor, and chin bar. :yikes:

Replaced it with a BMW one on special [yeah I know] and have regretted it ever since, as after a few miles Dang that thing is heavy!

Now have to save up the pennies to buy another Zues......and speak nice to Quickstep so I can have another skid lid :stickpoke:

I use an older n-100 Nolan flip-face and like it a lot. Always did like Nolan. Then I got a brand new Nolan 3/4 for the boss, on eBay. Must have been a bad batch or fakes from China! The slightest tap and the silver paint would just peel like crazy. It just looks awful - so we got her a different one. Anyone else run into this? I'm not talking scratches - the crappy paint actually peels off.:soapbox:

I'll throw in some extreme circumstances in an attempt to justify my own expensive decision.

My cousin races (more likely 'raced') motorcycles until an accident last July. He had a Shoei until 2007 and then switched to an Aria. The Arie is/was the safest commercially available helmet available per all the racing guys. Because he races/d, he actually went down a lot. Usually a slide across the tarmac into the barriers, get up, wheel the bike to the paddock, replace the items that scraped off, and go back out. This was why he only bought the best protective gear.

Well, last July, he hit his head on a wall at 100+ mph with his Aria on. He certainly didn't get up and go again. Helicopter rides, intensive care, brain rehab, 5 months of hospitals and doctors. However, he is back home and back at work. Sold me on the Aria without saying a word. There is really no logical reason he should still be alive.

Anyhooo, while looking at the different Aria helmets, I noticed the Profile style is made more oblong/egg shaped. I have always had to modify my helmets by pounding on the styrofoam that sits against my forehead. Otherwise it was too tight front to back.

The Profile style fits great without modifications. It is much lighter than my HJC modular (which I also like - but had to pound the foam), and the ventilation is incredible. I can actually feel my hair - what is left of it - moving in the helmet.

It is also much quieter than the HJC modular or the 3/4 helmets I used to wear. Can actually ride without earplugs for more than 5 minutes.

All in all, it is a great helmet. Now, the downside - it is expensive. I purchased mine directly from J&M with the headsets already installed. During my research, I found J&M is the largest retailer of Aria helmets in the US (not really relevant, but interesting). If you check the J&M site, they have a closeout section with helmets that are 1 to 2 years old. Aria warranties their helmets for 7 years from date of manufacture or 5 years from the date of purchase. Therefore, a 2 yo helmet has the same full warranty as one made yesterday.

The pricing on the closeout helmets is pretty good (relatively speaking). Santa bought one for me last Christmas for about $425, including the J&M Elite headset/microphone installed. Very nice.

OK, this is already too long. Don't compromise on getting a helmet. Any is safer than none, 3/4 is safer than a beanie, modular is safer than 3/4, full face is safer than modular. Make sure it fits comfortably. You, hopefully, will be spending a lot of time in it. And since they last 5 to 7 years, a $500 helmet is only $100 per year. Minor money.

Hey, my wife bought this argument when I was convincing her Santa NEEDED to bring one for Christmas.

RR

Ron,

I noticed you are in Cinci. The Iron Pony in Columbus has more helmets than any other retailer I have ever been in. Prices are OK too.

Visiting there would give you an opportunity to try on several sizes of different helmet brands. They don't all fit the same (different fitments and shapes).

RR

Actually RedRider, you're ruining a helmet by pounding the Styrofoam down. The entire point behind the foam is so that it collapses in the event of a crash. If you have to modify the foam in the helmet to fit your noggin, then you're buying the wrong helmet. Also, more expensive helmets are not better at protection than cheaper ones.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Actually RedRider, you're ruining a helmet by pounding the Styrofoam down. The entire point behind the foam is so that it collapses in the event of a crash. If you have to modify the foam in the helmet to fit your noggin, then you're buying the wrong helmet. Also, more expensive helmets are not better at protection than cheaper ones.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Yes, I always knew pounding the helmet foam was limiting the effectiveness of the helmet. However, I couldn't wear it otherwise. It was so tight it would give me a headache. That is the major reason why I went with the oblong shaped Profile. Fits perfectly.

The linked article is a big read. However, it is also a very enlightening read. Thank you for posting. I had not seen that before.

RR

Edited by RedRider

Yes, I always knew pounding the helmet foam was limiting the effectiveness of the helmet. However, I couldn't wear it otherwise. It was so tight it would give me a headache. That is the major reason why I went with the oblong shaped Profile. Fits perfectly.

RR

You know, If I had finished reading you original post, I might have noticed you have stopped that practice. I apologize for jumping without looking.