IGNORED

Cassette-MP3 Player

RossKean

Was over at the Delphi forum and saw a discussion on the infamous Venture cassette. Someone mentioned an MP3 player that fit into a cassette but didn't specify a source. I did a little looking and came up with:

http://usb.brando.com/usb-cassette-mp3-player-ii_p01481c035d15.html

Somebody has to try one of these and let us know about audio quality, output power (volume), battery life etc. I wonder if the "skip" function would work - if so, it might be a perfect solution. (if sound quality is satisfactory and the rechargable battery is good for 8 hr or more)

This same device came up in a number of locations searching on "cassette MP3 Player". Be careful because many of the devices that come up on a search are just cassette adaptors that you plug the MP3 player into while this can be used as a stand-alone MP3 or as a cassette surrogate. This one is a newer version that has a remote (not very useful on a bike) but also supports high capacity (16gb) SD cards.

Thought I would throw it out there in case anyone is interested.

Ross

Ross,

You own a 2nd gen, are you thinking about this for you and your bike? If so then just plug a stereo pigtail into the jack behind the cassette door and into an MP3 :confused24:

I know we had a post on here about an adapter like you talk about, but I dont remember anything coming of it. You might decide that you want to be the gineau pig and try this, doesn't look like it will break the bank.

This is not an adapter, but an actual MP3 player. This would mean that the MP3 player is completely enclosed in the cassette without wires or internal hook-ups. It is also a stand-alone MP3 player that takes SD cards that could be used off the bike as well. It might also work with the cassette "skip" function to pass over tunes you don't want to hear (don't know). I don't know whether I will try this or not because I generally use the built-in MP3 in my GPS. I couldn't use the cassette/MP3 at the same time as listening to voice prompts on the GPS.

Ross

It looks OK, but I don't think the sound quality will be the best, but on a bike with wind and machine sounds it should be OK.

I would say buy it....

I use a GPS with a built in MP3 player, so I can listen to music and have it interrupted by voice prompts for upcoming turns........Keeps me on track...

Was over at the Delphi forum and saw a discussion on the infamous Venture cassette. Someone mentioned an MP3 player that fit into a cassette but didn't specify a source. I did a little looking and came up with:

Somebody has to try one of these and let us know about audio quality, output power (volume), battery life etc. I wonder if the "skip" function would work - if so, it might be a perfect solution. (if sound quality is satisfactory and the rechargable battery is good for 8 hr or more)

This same device came up in a number of locations searching on "cassette MP3 Player". Be careful because many of the devices that come up on a search are just cassette adaptors that you plug the MP3 player into while this can be used as a stand-alone MP3 or as a cassette surrogate. This one is a newer version that has a remote (not very useful on a bike) but also supports high capacity (16gb) SD cards.

Ross

This is something I've been working on. You and others mightr be interested in. Check out #12 post to the end .

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44875

Kirby

Of course, a fully integrated CD emulation is clearly the best option. It still remains to be seen if the proposed system will work with the Clarion C-Bus system - this has been an issue with other stuff in the past.

The cassette described in the link I provided is an immediate solution and is substantially less expensive than the proposed device. Again, I'll probably not do either as the GPS serves as my MP3 player right now.

I'm not recommending any one particular solution but I came across the information and thought that there might be some people who might be interested. I would have some concerns as well of the potential sound quality on the cassette device but I doubt it would be an issue on the noisy environment of a motorcycle - same with our cheap 4" speakers.

Ross

I understand what you're saying. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread either. Just posting something new that I been working on. The cassette player looks interesting, I even marked it so I could take a closer look at it later. Thanks for the post.

Ross

I bought one of these last year, you can find them for about 15 bucks, It worked great, sound quality and volume were as good as the radio. The unit itself is a little cheesy about the same quality as a cheap cassette, but it worked just fine, and no wires, only downside I found was it is basically just random play, but I could live with that. Only reason I quit using it was my GPS has the built in MP3. For 15bucks ya cant go wrong. Craig

I bought one last year and it works great if I use a cord but if I just plug it into the cassette player I only get sound out of one side of the speakers. Probably just got unlucky and got one that wasn't quite right. Well worth the 10 dollars or so it cost anyway. Charges from USB. Battery life actually pretty impressive. 4 or 5 hours.

Guest HotMech

I got one from Amazon.com

Been playing with it. What a hoot. I don't like to alter the sound systems in my vehicles, so this is the cat's meow, hehe.

It works great as a stand alone mp3 player, have yet to try it in the bike or the car.

got on e-bay, (gotta love e-bay) ordered a lot of 10, micro SD Trans flash memory cards.

Have an adapter to take them to Standard SD size, for the cassette addapter.

My thought is, to load, country on one, rock on one, easy listening, and so on...

and maybe one or two with a mix of my own, just playing so far.

More updates as soon as I try it in the bike.

But so far, I just love it.

Kerry