IGNORED

Another Tire Question

Eagle77

Yesterday during my ride I was hearing a sound like a flat spot hitting the pavement coming from my front tire. Kind of a slap---slap---slap sound. I could not find any kind of cupped out place on the tire. Now I am wondering if it might be a sepration of the belts.

Anyone ever have this or something similar? The tire is a Metz.

If your fairy certain that it is a tire sound your hearing....change out the tire. You mentioned Metzlers, personally I feel that the 880 metz is one of the most dangerous tires on the market for the Venture. I know of too many people that have had very bad issues with them and I wont use them on anything I own. Not preaching here, it's your call, but Metzer and noises coming from what is believed to possibly be a tire is bad news

:2cents:

Thanks for the info. I have had a tire on my car develop some cupped out places from being out of alignment. The sound they produce is similar. I am going to pull the wheel tomorrow and most likely will replace the tire. What kind of tires do you use?

... What kind of tires do you use?

Buckle up - lots of opinions on this :happy34:

Actually tires are not as heated as a topic as oil is; It seems that the general consensus on tires is down to 3 or 4 brands/types (in no particular order)

- Dunlop Elite 3

- Avon Venom-X

- Michelin Commanders

(- Various car tire options)

:080402gudl_prv:

I currently have a set of Avon Venoms, however, I will soon be going to a set of Dunlop E3s.

It really bothers me to read about all the problems with the Avons cracking. I had very good luck with the Michelin Commanders with the ONLY problem being that they were a bit noisy in the longer sweeping curves. For that reason and due to all the great reviews that I read from other users here, I went with the Avons last time. I've had no problem with them yet but haven't inspected them yet for this season. I will give them a good inspection before riding.

Based on the reviews that I've seen on the E3's, I will give them a try next time. I can't offer a personal opinion on them just yet so based only on my personal experiences and what I've read here about the cracking Avons, the Michelin Commanders would go back to the top of my list when compared to Avon, Dunlop 404, Bridgestone or Metzler. I hope the E3's turn out OK. I have read TWO reports though of the E3's blowing out when almost new.

I guess like anything else you can get a bad tire in any brand. I think you have to go with the most recommended brand. One thing sure though I am not going back with the Metz tire. After several years away from riding I am back and having to re-learn alot of things. I do know that Dunlop's were the tire of choice back when.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I just put a set of the Dunlop E3's on saturday jury still out on them. I only have around 30 miles on them but so far a lot more noise and no where near as smooth as the Metzler 880's I always have run ( even the wife made a comment ). I hope the notchy feeling goes away after some time or I get used to it one. They do have a better initial lean in will have to wait and see. I had myself talked into the Michelin Commanders but went with the E3's instead because of all the reviews. My :2cents:

Hi to all,

I bought my bike with a new Michelin Commander on the rear and I got 25000 kms on it before I had to replace it. Just prior to replacing it the tire was noisy in turns and was cupping.

I just bought E3's and put 500 kms on them and so far impressed with noise,,:happy34: ride and easier to lean, so far so good.

Screaming Red

I currently have Dunlop 404s (second set). The front still looks good but the rear is getting close to the wear bars. I will likely need to replace the rear sometime this season. Is there any reason why I should not mix this two tires? Dunlop 404 front and Dunlop E3s rear or Michelin Commander rear, which are the two rear tires I am considering this time. I am assuming that since they are both bias type tires there should be no problem. I hope!

Thanks for your thoughts