IGNORED

I still can't feel my legs...

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

As the frigid & cold weather starts to taper off here in the south, I find myself doing what a lot of others are doing... Watching the weather forecasts like our lives depend on it. Obviously, it's been great riding weather here in ENC for the past few days, cresting over 60 degrees... Today is supposed to be around 66 degrees... Outstanding.

There WAS, however, a minor oversight on my part... Overnight lows. :doh:

I'm all dressed for work, in my slacks & polo shirt, strapping on my leather jacket, and gloves, with a fleece underneath. I opt for the half-helmet with the removable ear muffs... I'm ready to roll. :900[1]:

34 degrees as I'm beginning my 40 mile journey to work... Stupid, stupid, stupid... Shoulda bought chaps when I was at Shamrock Biker Outfitters last time. 20 minutes in, legs go numb, face moves really slow when I try to poorly sing along with The Doobie Brothers (jammin' from my Shark Radio) but my torso is cozy...

Khakis are the worst cold-weather gear known to man, next to shorts. I'd like to say "I don't know what I was thinking..." but I do. I was thinking, "It's gonna be 66 on the way home. This is worth it."

It's really not. I should've just ridden when I got home from work. Since I don't have any lower deflectors to go with my Nat'l Cycle Switchblade windshield, the wind came right over the tank, and in my face. Clicked a few values into a wind chill calculator, and it was about 15 degrees. I've been at work for 2 hours, and I STILL don't have complete feeling in my legs, not to mention they are STILL cold. :cold:

If anyone knows a nice alternative to spending $150 on lower deflectors from Nat'l Cycle, or fabricating a mount from my factory windshield/lower mounts, let me know. I'm gonna need 'em.

Buy some heated pants and use a full face helmet, I know here your coming from. I rode to work (when I was working) 52 miles 1 way in 27 dgrees, I had GOOD chaps on and my legs got cold on my RSV. Heated clothes are awsome for cold weather riding....have a nice ride home

:)

As the frigid & cold weather starts to taper off here in the south, I find myself doing what a lot of others are doing... Watching the weather forecasts like our lives depend on it. Obviously, it's been great riding weather here in ENC for the past few days, cresting over 60 degrees... Today is supposed to be around 66 degrees... Outstanding.

I'm all dressed for work, in my slacks & polo shirt, strapping on my leather jacket, and gloves, with a fleece underneath. I opt for the half-helmet with the removable ear muffs... I'm ready to roll. :900[1]:

34 degrees as I'm beginning my 40 mile journey to work... Stupid, stupid, stupid... Shoulda bought chaps when I was at Shamrock Biker Outfitters last time. 20 minutes in, legs go numb, face moves really slow when I try to poorly sing along with The Doobie Brothers (jammin' from my Shark Radio) but my torso is cozy...

Khakis are the worst cold-weather gear known to man, next to shorts. I'd like to say "I don't know what I was thinking..." but I do. I was thinking, "It's gonna be 66 on the way home. This is worth it."

It's really not. I should've just ridden when I got home from work. Since I don't have any lower deflectors to go with my Nat'l Cycle Switchblade windshield, the wind came right over the tank, and in my face. Clicked a few values into a wind chill calculator, and it was about 15 degrees. I've been at work for 2 hours, and I STILL don't have complete feeling in my legs, not to mention they are STILL cold. :cold:

If anyone knows a nice alternative to spending $150 on lower deflectors from Nat'l Cycle, or fabricating a mount from my factory windshield/lower mounts, let me know. I'm gonna need 'em.

I went to K-Mart and bought a pair of lined nylon "running pants", for lack of a better name.

They have a nylon-type outer material and a soft cotton liner. They also have about a 12" zipper at the bottom of each leg to make it easy to get on and off over footwear, and an elastic waist with drawstring. Oh, they have pockets too.

These cost me $29 for both the pants and matching jacket. Bought them large enough to wear over my riding gear. They are light and can be stored easily, and are so warm I am shocked. The key is that the outer material blocks the wind...and an added bonus is that they will keep you dry in all but the worst rain.

Give them a try....sure cheaper than most of the alternatives.

I have several pair of those and keep them in each bike, and your right keep you warm and dry as long as its not a monsoon type rain. I actually bought them to use when snow skiing and they worked very well for that also.

I went to K-Mart and bought a pair of lined nylon "running pants", for lack of a better name.

They have a nylon-type outer material and a soft cotton liner. They also have about a 12" zipper at the bottom of each leg to make it easy to get on and off over footwear, and an elastic waist with drawstring. Oh, they have pockets too.

These cost me $29 for both the pants and matching jacket. Bought them large enough to wear over my riding gear. They are light and can be stored easily, and are so warm I am shocked. The key is that the outer material blocks the wind...and an added bonus is that they will keep you dry in all but the worst rain.

Give them a try....sure cheaper than most of the alternatives.

You sound like me riding 80 miles in 36 degree weather. I brought my chaps though, and forgot my bandana. I really really wish i would have remembered!!!! I got to the dealership and couldn't talk, but the owner understood. It said High MAYBE 40, so i got all excited!!! bad idea without that bandana, other than that i was a toaster!