Ok, first I would like to say that I have no mechanical ability. I am not embarrassed by this only frustrated. I have had over 50 years to learn to live with it. While I can do some simple things, sometimes I have to be shown they are simple. Sometimes repeatedly.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, what tool to I need to remove the seat on my 07 RSV? I need to get to the batter, it is dead. I think I have found the bolts on the bottom side, but can't seem to get to it with a wrench and it doesn't look like there is enough room to get to it with a socket.

I truly do not want to have to get the bike towed to the dealer to change a battery. But am almost desperate enougt to call the Yamaha Road Side assistance and take the abuse so I can start riding again. Not sure why this is so much harder to get to than my old 83VR.

On a related side note. I did have a trickle charger hooked and it shows charged, but I got no electrical response from the bike. Maybe it is something else?

Thanks

To get the seat off, use a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet (or on a nut driver). You will probably need a 3 or 4" extension with the ratchet. It should come off easily.

If your trickle charger is showing a charged battery and you are getting nothing, you may have a different problem. However, you need to get the seat off first to inspect the battery.

Once you get that done, post up here and we will walk you thru the troubleshooting process.

RR

Well, I did check the kill switch, but that should not affect not having any power show up on the dash right? Same way with the kickstand switch. I am not getting any power showing up on the dash at all, no mileage, nothing.

I use a 10mm socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet with no extensions.

Since you're admittedly mechanically challenged, I will offer these words of caution:

You're taking off the nuts downward. That means the ratchet or wrench, as viewed from the top, will be going in the tightening direction (clockwise) to loosen the nuts.

Second, and most important!: the nuts are on very small studs that are attached to the seat pan. Do not overtighten them. When you put the seat back on, when you tighten the nuts, wiggle the seat up and down. As soon as the seat stops wiggling, stop tightening. If you overtighten the nuts, you'll snap off the studs in the seats, creating a major headache for repair.

The number of Venture seats I've seen for sale with snapped off studs is amazing, or sad depending on how you look at it. In layman's terms, the nuts have plastic built into them to prevent them from coming loose. They should be just snug, not tight, and will not come loose.