IGNORED

Help with 86 headlight

fixit3546

Well, i have managed to change out the electrics (wiring harness and all) from the 86 to my 83.

The bike cranks and runs fine, everything seems to be working so far Except for the headlight and the flashers, no hi beam, no low beam. no left right or emergency flashers.

the emergency flasher switch is attached to the harness.

Any ideas what may be wrong?..............................front park lights are on, and i tried another headlight with the same effect.

Sounds like the Contacts inside the Blinker Switch aren't giving good Contact. Check the Wires with a DMM at he main Connector between Switch Assembly and Main Harness. There should be hot (+12 Volts) going into the Blinker Switch and, depending on the Position, one Side should have hot coming out when the Switch is in moved toleft or right.

Now the front Light, there a normally closed Contact inside the Starter Button. If the Contact or the Button is somewhat stuck right before outermost Position there's no front Light at all.

What Squeeze said is the best start to locating problems.

Below is a link to the schematics for the 1st gen ventures.

Look at the simplified version for the 83 TK, it may help with the troubleshooting.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

Also there are write ups to cleaning the handlebar switches at the next link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Gary

Check the Wires at the Connector for ingoing and outgoing Voltage. If there's Voltage going in and not coming out, the Contacts are dirty there too. If there seems everything ok, check the Ground Wire on the Blinker Relay. It's seperate Ground, not common(Vehicle) Ground.