IGNORED

Tents

Kirby

Well I haven't used a tent since 1990 and Desert Shield. Now I'm thinking I may want to try it on some of my riding adventures. Any of you got any recommendations as to the type of tent I should look for?? I want something that will pack up tight because I don't have a trailer yet for my RSV. Just maybe for 2 people. Any suggestions???

Guest human4m
Well I haven't used a tent since 1990 and Desert Shield. Now I'm thinking I may want to try it on some of my riding adventures. Any of you got any recommendations as to the type of tent I should look for?? I want something that will pack up tight because I don't have a trailer yet for my RSV. Just maybe for 2 people. Any suggestions???

The Coleman Hooligan 2 tent packs up pretty small, and it's only in the $60 range.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001978&categoryid=11070

The Lone rider tent is SUPER small packed up, but around $200 http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=170

Their '2-Up' version is slightly cheaper at $180 since it's only single-wall construction, but is larger, and packs just as small.

http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/ProductInfo.aspx?id=172

I've used the coleman hooligan 3 for 2yrs now, and is the best tent so far. Rain fly goes to the ground, vestibule is great for storing all the stuff I pack and easy up and down.

AND keeps me dry

2 thumbs up

Steve

I've used the coleman hooligan 3 for 2yrs now, and is the best tent so far. Rain fly goes to the ground, vestibule is great for storing all the stuff I pack and easy up and down.

AND keeps me dry

2 thumbs up

Steve

Same here. Coleman makes several size tents for 2 to 4 people. Of course the more people it holds the bigger it packs. Most of the 2 person Coleman are under $100. I found mine for $50. Just make sure the tent is self supporting just in case you get stuck someplace where the ground is very hard. Or carry a hammer with you.

Guest tx2sturgis

I like the Eureka A-framed Timberline series but they aint cheap. Super easy to setup, and the less expensive ones ( not the Outfitters) use thinner floor material and pack small and light. They use hollow aluminum poles which are lighter than the fiberglass poles used in most tents under $100. Unless you think you will actually use it, I dont recommend the vestibule, just the simple included rainfly will do. I have the 2XT, which includes the vestibule, but I never use it. Two campers might be more likely to need it.

Dome tents are ok, but you end up with some unused floor space, which is fine if your not packing that unused floor space on a bike. And most dome tents have screens that have no flaps to cover them, rendering them quite chilly on cool mornings. The Eurekas have solid but breathable sides and flaps that can close up completely and limit the cool air, if needed. But they also have screens at both ends that can be left open for airflow when you need that.

The little 2 man Eureka packs down less than 6 pounds. If you and the guest are on the much larger side of average, this one wont be big enough, unless your both very friendly at night! Get the 4 man version in that case.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Timberline-Adventure-7-Foot-Two-Person/dp/B000EQ813S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1267653388&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Eureka Timberline 2 Adventure 7-Foot by 5-Foot Two-Person Tent: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JVAP2AXAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41JVAP2AXAL[/ame]

Just a side note: Packing for 2 up and including camping gear, such as a tent, sleeping bags, air mattress and cooler, along with all the clothes and gear for 2, makes you realize just how valuable a trailer can be. At the very least, look in to a hitch-mount rack to carry some of it, down low behind you. Packing heavy items vertically on the RSV is asking for trouble.

Edited by tx2sturgis

1 person = 2 man tent

2 people = 4 man tent

I would get the largest and most lightweight tent in you price range

I have a 4 man Coleman dome I picked up 3 years ago 49.00

This rolled up around 20 inches long 6 inch thick poles and and ground cove included

This was enough to put my gear in along with a queen sized air mattress

Happy camping

Dave

I must agree the Timberline is great. Riding and camping for 30 years. I started with the 4 man and in the last few years have been using the 6 man. Both tents can be set up free standing if you have to, and after a few uses takes less that 5 minutes. Two up, I like the extra room and I can stand inside and move around. Traveling, I pack two full size Cabela self inflating mats in a single roll bag, the tent and 2 medium weight sleeping bags. Granted not much room for extras without the trailer, but can do laundry often.

I like the Eureka A-framed Timberline series but they aint cheap. Super easy to setup, and the less expensive ones ( not the Outfitters) use thinner floor material and pack small and light. They use hollow aluminum poles which are lighter than the fiberglass poles used in most tents under $100. Unless you think you will actually use it, I dont recommend the vestibule, just the simple included rainfly will do. I have the 2XT, which includes the vestibule, but I never use it. Two campers might be more likely to need it.

Dome tents are ok, but you end up with some unused floor space, which is fine if your not packing that unused floor space on a bike. And most dome tents have screens that have no flaps to cover them, rendering them quite chilly on cool mornings. The Eurekas have solid but breathable sides and flaps that can close up completely and limit the cool air, if needed. But they also have screens at both ends that can be left open for airflow when you need that.

The little 2 man Eureka packs down less than 6 pounds. If you and the guest are on the much larger side of average, this one wont be big enough, unless your both very friendly at night! Get the 4 man version in that case.

Amazon.com: Eureka Timberline 2 Adventure 7-Foot by 5-Foot Two-Person Tent: Sports & Outdoors

Just a side note: Packing for 2 up and including camping gear, such as a tent, sleeping bags, air mattress and cooler, along with all the clothes and gear for 2, makes you realize just how valuable a trailer can be. At the very least, look in to a hitch-mount rack to carry some of it, down low behind you. Packing heavy items vertically on the RSV is asking for trouble.

1 person = 2 man tent

2 people = 4 man tent

I would get the largest and most lightweight tent in you price range

I have a 4 man Coleman dome I picked up 3 years ago 49.00

This rolled up around 20 inches long 6 inch thick poles and and ground cove included

This was enough to put my gear in along with a queen sized air mattress

Happy camping

Dave

Yeah That Above ^^^ and one more question to ask yourself... Do you like getting dressed:

1). Laying down ?

2). Hunched over ?

3). Standing up ?

Also see ww.IBMC.Org

Good Luck

Edited by frogmaster
spell