IGNORED

Anybody use PikePass in Oklahoma?

Jerry W

The Oklahoma system actually has instructions as to how to mount them on the bike. For touring bikes, I believe the instructions are to put them in the trunk.

However, what I have done in the past on the Illinois toll system (which is setup with the same basic technology as the pike pass) is simply keep it in my jacket pocket (or when I was on my wing, in the fairing pocket) and drive through with it in my pocket. At first, I was holding it above my head, but I did that for a few and decided that maintaining control of the bike was more important than showing the camera (just in case it didn't read the ipass unit) that I had it. You register the vehicle that is going to be used with the device (year, make, model and plate number) and if it doesn't pick up the unit, the system automatically checks to see if you have one then bills your account.

What I have found is that if you ride in the tire-tracks (on either 1/3rd of the lane) the device is not picked up anyways so it didn't really matter. I chose to ride in those sections of the lane because there is A LOT of oil and junk that rides in the middle of those lanes and I like to keep my tires out of them. It was just incidental that I found out that the ipass system didn't pick me up there.

I have put many many miles on the Illinois toll road with a bike and never had a problem. I have been on the OK toll roads without a problem as well. Just keep the unit in my pocket and have no troubles.

P.S. I refused to mount the unit to my windshield because there [at least used to be] a ridiculous fee if you lost the unit itself AND I didn't want to have Velcro stuck to my windshield (or the inside of my trunk, as per the instructions).

Hope that helps.

Maybe someone else with more experience on the OK toll roads will chime in.

Yeah, thanks. I set up the account on line last night but did not see the instructions for bikes. Like you, I am not going to mount the Pass on the windshield. I didn't know if it would work if I had it in my pocket or in the trunk. Thanks.

How those things work.

A friend was low on money in her account and the pike pass people wanted $40.00 to bring it back up to speed. She didn't use the turnpike very often (2-3 times per month) so she decided she would pay cash instead of the $40.00.

Long story short, she put the pike pass in her glove compartment and forgot about it.

Two or three months go by of paying cash for the tolls, and ignoring the monthly notices from the turnpike authority, when she gets this not so nice letter. Seems as though the pike pass was still being read as she went through the gates and deducting from her account even though she was also paying cash!!

Of course she couldn't prove she had paid the toll.

I guess the point of this story is don't worry about where you cary the pike pass, it will be read about anywhere.

PS the pike pass people told my friend (after they got their money) that she should have wraped the pass in tinfoil. that would block the signal.

I carry mine in my jacket pocket or in the trunk, either way it picks it up pretty good and if by chance it dont they have my tag number anyway so I still get the charge to my Pikpass. Ride and don't worry about it.

One time I forgot my Pikpass and went to Tulsa and back on the Wing . Nothing happen all charges were charged to my account no harm done.

Peg found out hers was dead one time when they asked her in a letter if she was planning on using hers since she been up & down the Turnpike for the past few months. pretty funny.

As long as you have your motorcycle on file dont worry about it.

Ride and have fun.....:thumbsup2:

Buddy

A buddy and I are planning a trip from near Amarillo to Nashville and down the Natchez trace and I am thinking about using PikePass on the turnpikes. I was wondering what the best way to use the Pass on a bike was.

I took the toll road from OKC to Tulsa on my Ninja for the first time last September. I put my Pike Pass in my riding jacket (inside breast pocket) thinking it would be picked up. It did not. Fortunately, I wasn't chased down by the police (the bikes are not listed on the pass). However, I did not want to try my luck again and moved the pass to the map window of my tank bag. It worked fine from there.

BTW: I always keep my pass in the static bag when not traveling on the toll roads. Aluminum foil also works to keep it from transmitting.

theres not a turnpike between amarillo and nashville if you stay o I40

A buddy and I are planning a trip from near Amarillo to Nashville and down the Natchez trace and I am thinking about using PikePass on the turnpikes. I was wondering what the best way to use the Pass on a bike was.

I ran the trace 2 years ago took 3 days to go the 400+ miles.

You will like running the trace low speed limit, with no traffic or large trucks and very little sign of civilization just rule scenery with lots of turn out with historic information and history. The best thin is you are never to for from civilization for food fuel and motels but you cant see them from the trace:thumbsup:

I-40 is in AWFUL shape in Oklahoma and Arkansas right now. I mean it's bad. I just came thru there on my way back from Oklahoma. The road is one of the worst I've been on in a while.

It's all great in Tennessee though.:thumbsup2:

Try I-30 from Little Rock through Dallas and on west to Amarillo. That has always been a greatly maintained stretch of highway in the past. If you can stand the extra miles.

:farmer:

I appreciate the updates on I-40, I will look at alternate routes going to Nashville, on the return trip we will be coming up from Natchez to Shreveport, then north to Sherman and on in thru Wichita Falls and home.

Little Beaver, we do not have a time set for the trip as of yet. My riding buddy still has a job and has not let me know when he can make the trip. We are looking at April sometime, but no definate dates.

I appreciate the updates on I-40, I will look at alternate routes going to Nashville, on the return trip we will be coming up from Natchez to Shreveport, then north to Sherman and on in thru Wichita Falls and home.

Little Beaver, we do not have a time set for the trip as of yet. My riding buddy still has a job and has not let me know when he can make the trip. We are looking at April sometime, but no definate dates.

better give me a call,us 84 is a pretty good ride to I 49 OR ON WEST