IGNORED

Modulator 2nd Gen Headlight...

Thanks Steve

When I mentioned 2nd Gen I was thinking of a "PLUG-N-PLAY" thus the connectors are pre made (Im guessing 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Connectors are not the same) and no splicing needed. I can splice if need too.:scratchchin:

Though I haven't tried one I believe the Kisan modulator plugs into the headlight's socket then the headlight plugs into it. The Diamond Star definitely requires cutting the high beam wire and soldering the modulator in. In fact my setup is controlled by a stack of relays so that the main headlight modulates when it's on high beam, but returns to standard operation and the passing lamps come on and modulate when I hit the horn. There was a fair amount of wiring involved in that. :)

Kisan modulator works perfect. Plug and play and can program speed of pulse if you want. I have used one for 2 years now and believe it has stopped several people from pulling out in front of me! Have even had people pull over and let us by to get that out of the rear view mirror.( SNICKER):innocent-emoticon:

Now that's an idea I really like!

TERRY

There's a write up in the Tech area about how I did it. The Diamond Star has changed a bit since then, but I'm pretty sure it can still be done. The one I got had an on/off switch but the light sensor could be used just as easily.

I have the one on my passing lamps set up to modulate day or night. I figure it I'm honking the horn I don't actually care a whole lot about what the law says about time of day.

The products on Kisans web site look very cool as well as a real asset to our safety. I noticed that they offer a discount to clubs have we applied for that discount as a club or have we already and if so how do we get the discount if we have not and I can help in getting the ball rolling on this I would be happy to help

Jeff

OK...all done. You can now let them know when you call that you are a VentureRider memvber and you will receive the 10% discount. If you order by phone, it will be deducted immediately. If you order online, just mention in the comment box that you are a VentureRider member and the discount will be applied the next business day.

OK...all done. You can now let them know when you call that you are a VentureRider memvber and you will receive the 10% discount. If you order by phone, it will be deducted immediately. If you order online, just mention in the comment box that you are a VentureRider member and the discount will be applied the next business day.

I called them since I ordered this last night (before Don got VR.Org setup) and they gladly added the 10% discount to my order. Good Folks :) :clap2:

• 1 year later...

I have not installed a modulator on this bike yet. I'm still comptiplating maybe an HID which would rule out the modulator. But I did have one on my 900 I just got rid of. I found one that was suggesteed by a member on the Kawaski boards I used. I got it from JC Whitney it was around $32. But you have to do all your own wiring and it does not have the phot eye thing to turn off automaticly. Part of the reasoning and it sounded perfectly sensable was A; if the phot gizmo goes south it dont work anymore, it defaults to off basicly I think is what was said. B;If you hook it up with a on/off switch it works when you want it to C; if something goes whacko, you bypass to "normal" mode by switching off. I know the law says you cant run it in the dark. Seriously Dick Tracey you want to try and drive with the thing flashing at night? I can tell when its dark and turn it off. Anyways heres a link. Its an option if someone is looking to do it. I'm thinking if I can find the same size connector as the headlight bulb I can build myself a harness, instead of cutting into the wires etc. http://image2.jcwstatics.com/sku/images/small/I_265360_SW_1.jpg

I doo like the Signal Dynamic one though. Not as pricey as the Kisan last time I looked. This company also makes the flash unit that goes in the brake light circuit to make them flash. JC carries them too.

Modulators are legal in all 50 states per federal law.

This is not legal, it must have the photo eye along with a number of other restrictions.

One of them being the modulator does not flash the light completely on and off, it dims it to a specified power level within a specified number of cycles per minute.

Attached is a copy of the law if you care to read it.

Hope you have your wrist radio with you, you may need it.

Also is a picture of a Diamond Star unit less than 2" sq x 1/2" thick. It can be turned off during day by hitting high beam/low beam cycle, or modulation rate can be set to high by beeping horn fast twice.

Gary

Edited by dingy

I just re-read the law notes again today somewhere. I see I was in violation by haveing just a toggle switch. :mugshot: Oh my I wont ever do that again. :whistling: So pray tell any suggestions as to where to put the "eye". Man I hate to think about drilling holes in the fairing. Looks like in the $70 range plus freight.