IGNORED

I screwed up!!

72ranger

I didn't have anything to do this afternoon so I thought I would tackle the HD Clutch Spring Kit.... I was almost wrapped up, snapping pictures the whole way when I snapped one of the 6 bolts off that holds the spring on.........:crying:

OK so I was using a torque wrench that starts at 10lbs.. So I backed it off to about where I thought 5lbs would be (Note: Don't do this)..... I'm a big O dummy!! As I am tightening the bolts I am thinking these are not getting tight, so I started backing them out when one snapped off :yikes:.

These bolts must be crazy soft, because I didn't feel like I was over torquing them :confused24:. Providing I can get this one out :/, I am replacing all six bolts and buying a torque wrench that measures inch lbs.

Couple of questions-

1. Should I use loctite :think:? As I said before it doesn't seem like they were very tight at all...
  2. Do you think I weakened the new spring?

Shane,

No worries man, I have broke a few of those bolts in my day. They are like 6 or 7 ft lbs I believe. Basically you just snug them all up to where they lightly bottom out and give just a wee little tweak. I never tighten them with anything other than a 1/4" drive ratchet. Just pull the old bolts out and install the new ones. You didn't hurt the spring at all, just remember to criss cross the tightening sequence like your tightening the lugs on your car rim...it's all good bud :happy34:

I've had this happen on other bikes (Yamahas and Suzukis). I've always had problems with "soft" screws and bolts. Often times, I'll get stainless steel or grade 8 bolts (depending on the location/application) from my local hardware store (gotta love Ace Hardware or other "local-hometown" owned hardware store).

Something else to remember is that a torque wrench is not to be used in the 10% window.

Example: One torque wrench I have has a range from 10 to 150 Ft.-lbs. So, the usable range for this particular wrench is 11 ft-lbs to 135 ft-lbs.

I also recommend having your torque wrench calibrated. In my line of work, we have to have our torque wrenches and torque limiters calibrated every one to two years (depending on the tool). Also, if the tool is misused or dropped, it should also be re-calibrated. Do a google search for torque wrench calibration in your city/area.

OK - I went to Lowes and bought 6 new bolts and put all together. As recommended I used a 1/4 drive and set it where I thought it should be. I also borrowed a brand new Craftsman torque wrench from a friend to verify, and I was really close. I think at the end of the day it is a job well done! :cool10: Thank you for all the input!

I have tried uploading pictures with no luck. I have ran in to this before, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't:confused24:.

Now I just need some dry warm weather to go test it out!