IGNORED

Tomorrow's After School Project

Chaharly

Well, as it seems to happen, 16 year old's get bored in the winter, and we need things to do. My project this weekend is mounting an old snowblower motor on a bicicle. The snowblower has a seperate disingage, so where the front brakes would normally be, I'm going to mount the engage to it. It will only go with the "clutch" pulled in. It has a pretty high idle, which is no big deal, and the throttle will really open it up. If i have to, i can do some cutting and welding and get the belt drive into more of a chain sproket. It will be cool to see how fast it will go with the 15 gears, so we'll see.

Maybe you can do a pedal type thing to break inertia and gain some momentum before engaging into gear...

Well im using the "clutch" as an engage, if you let it out slowly it will slowly put the bike into full "gear" and get it moving. Of course this is in the perfect world of mine!

Guest human4m

Just a tip from someone who already went down that road... Find a way to beef up the derailleurs, and use a beefy bike. Beach cruisers work well.

We used an old Kmart Special Mountain Bike, and an old McCullough 12hp chain saw engine... List of problems we had:

Chain snatched derailleur off.

Chain Broke (several times).

Rear derailleur snapped (when center bearing locked up).

High Speed Wobble.

Say goodbye to the rear tire.

Forks decided to fold forwards on steep incline.

Lots of leg-burns. (Maybe consider mounting engine on a luggage rack above rear tire)

Don't expect regular Rim-Squeezing brakes to do much once you hit 45mph.

YES wear a helmet, and full riding gear... It WILL go down.

Most of all, HAVE FUN, I know I did!

ok Im not sure how they worked it, but i just seen one going down the road the other day, Only this one had the motor mounted to another tire. About the size of a small riding lawnmower front tire. This tire was located above the rear tire with the motor. As I said not sure how it worked but this was an old man riding down the road pulling a trailer behind his beach cruiser type bike. It was already rolling so i didnt want to bother him, but it did look cool.

David

ok Im not sure how they worked it, but i just seen one going down the road the other day, Only this one had the motor mounted to another tire. About the size of a small riding lawnmower front tire. This tire was located above the rear tire with the motor. As I said not sure how it worked but this was an old man riding down the road pulling a trailer behind his beach cruiser type bike. It was already rolling so i didnt want to bother him, but it did look cool.

David

Sounds like a friction drive. The small tire is pushed against the bike tire to drive it. I don't remember much about it but a few years ago one of the chopper mags had a full on custom that was set up as a friction drive.

I have and old engine that ride on the front tire of a bicycle. I think it's either a Tas Spitz or a Sears Free Spirit. Or something like that anyway. It has a lever that you engage once the bike was moving. A small wheel about 2" in diameter and 3" wide would drop down onto the front wheel and that's how the engine started. When you wanted to stop you simply disengage the lever and the engine would stay running. It had a kill switch and a throttle lever that bolted to the handle bar. It was about a 15cc 2-stroke. I took off the muffler and and took out the governor. It could do about 20-25mph wide open.

I found a few pics of it.

This is one I did 2 yrs ago. 6.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine with a torque converter belt drive. It has a 1972 TS50 Suzuki rear rim and tire with drum brakes. It will run about 45 MPH. It's fun to ride.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae34/Bloodbought1/DSCF1981.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae34/Bloodbought1/DSCF1980.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae34/Bloodbought1/DSCF1979.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae34/Bloodbought1/DSCF1978.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae34/Bloodbought1/DSCF1977.jpg

Good luck on the build.

It's actually geared a little high,but you can ease off and then shower down on it. It does good. The first time I tried it I had the original 26" rear tire and rim on it, no brakes and had my friend follow me down the state highway on his 1500 Goldwing. He clocked me at 60 MPH...Whew what fun...Wore a hole in my tennis shoe getting that thing stopped....LOL:scared: