IGNORED

oil filter WIX 51358

Guest scarylarry

Guest scarylarry

I read that this filter WIX 51358 is not recommend for our bikes and I slap one on mine when the part cross reference it..

I found out about this after the fact

Now do I swap filters now or wait till next oil change.

Weird, I currently use the Fram PH6017A and it is not recommended either and in his beginning paragraph he states that for motorcycles a Fram is as good as any. Go figure. My question would be who is it that recommends we not use these filters. It's certainly the one listed for our bikes in the Fram guide.

Oh well, I'm still under warranty for a while.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Guest scarylarry

Do like me and keep a yammy filter on the shelf in case u need to slap it on..

I thought your warranty was good for 90 days or 90 miles which ever came first:banana:

Do like me and keep a yammy filter on the shelf in case u need to slap it on..

I thought your warranty was good for 90 days or 90 miles which ever came first:banana:

Ha Ha, I got the extended 180 day unlimited mileage warranty. :D I also suspect that if you use dino oil and change it regularly every 3k you really don't even need a filter. Some years ago an oil filter was an add on option for automobiles.

:think:

Guest scarylarry

I went to the website as well and saw that, but like wanderer how did they come up with this...Back pressure, low flow who knows...

Wanderer are ya going to freebird M.D.?

If so you can follow the group out of Tennessee we promise not to get out of 2nd gear:rotfl:

I went to the website as well and saw that, but like wanderer how did they come up with this...Back pressure, low flow who knows...

Wanderer are ya going to freebird M.D.?

If so you can follow the group out of Tennessee we promise not to get out of 2nd gear:rotfl:

Certainly planning on it. I've been getting inquiries from corporate for a new or updated clearance so I think I'll soon be reassigned. To where, I don't know yet.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I think the reason these two filters are not recommended is because of their overall poor quality in materials. The couple of filters that are recommended are built better and with better stuff.

Now having said that, if you are pretty religious about changing your oil (every3K to 4K), using a cheaper built filter should not be a problem.

Dave

Problem with the Fram Filter was extremely poor construction. Wal-mart SuperTec filters are built better than the Fram. Seems that the innards of the Fram are cardboard like. Years ago, Pudge, a member of the Venturers site dissected a bunch of filters and discovered that the WalMart was pretty good and the fram was garbage. Fram used to be the best until SignalDynamics took them over. I bought up all the Walmart filters on the shelf back then for 2.10 apiece and still have 4 left over.

Just my 2 cents......

I think the reason these two filters are not recommended is because of their overall poor quality in materials. The couple of filters that are recommended are built better and with better stuff.

Now having said that, if you are pretty religious about changing your oil (every3K to 4K), using a cheaper built filter should not be a problem.

Dave

:sign yeah that: yepper

Guest scarylarry

I use a conventoinal motorcycle oil so every 3k and no more than 4k per oil change, I might swap filters after this change, might be a good insurance...

Wix filters are ab $11.00 so there is nothing there but price and was cheaper than yammy filters..

99% of the time WIX is as good or better than any OEM filter but I guess they are like all the other filter companies in having to outsource a few of their filters to have full coverage. If I can find the SuperTec in my Wally World I think I'm going to start using them. I used to like the Nissan car filters but it seems that they are sourcing some these days from a low quality supplier... Honeywell/Fram maybe? :stickpoke:

I use to use Fram oil filters and never had any kind of problems with them. However since joining this website I've learned (or hope I've learned) a little bit more about the way different filters are made. Since I bought my 09 last summer I've quit using Fram. Not for any other reason than several websites stating that they were of poor quality. I used a couple of PureOne's, but now I'm currently using the SuperTech from Walmart. Just because it's conveniently right there where I buy my oil and most of the websites say that it's one of the better quality filters. Probaly nothing that bad wrong with the Fram, I 'm just going on the opinion of some of the more "experienced" on this website. Don't let me down guys!!!

I use to use Fram oil filters and never had any kind of problems with them. However since joining this website I've learned (or hope I've learned) a little bit more about the way different filters are made. Since I bought my 09 last summer I've quit using Fram. Not for any other reason than several websites stating that they were of poor quality. I used a couple of PureOne's, but now I'm currently using the SuperTech from Walmart. Just because it's conveniently right there where I buy my oil and most of the websites say that it's one of the better quality filters. Probaly nothing that bad wrong with the Fram, I 'm just going on the opinion of some of the more "experienced" on this website. Don't let me down guys!!!

Ive been using the WalMart filters since 2004 with no issues and you cant beat the price. Cut them open and they are pretty similar to other quality filters.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody provide the part number for the Walmart SuperTech filter? It's not listed on the cross reference guide in the Tech Library.

I use the ST7317 long filter so far I been very pleased with it. I have cut several open after each oil change so far everything inside held up really good, unlike fram which seems to split and fall apart over time... I used Wix 51358 & napa 1358 filter which are both the same filter just different labeling,good filter never had any problems using it on my cycles . But I stayed with ST7317 filter just as good and half the price too. cant beat that..

I use the ST7317 long filter so far I been very pleased with it. I have cut several open after each oil change so far everything inside held up really good, unlike fram which seems to split and fall apart over time... I used Wix 51358 & napa 1358 filter which are both the same filter just different labeling,good filter never had any problems using it on my cycles . But I stayed with ST7317 filter just as good and half the price too. cant beat that..

I've been using, NAPA GOLD, CARQUEST BLUE, and WIX filters for years on everything I own. Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks, Heavy Equipment, Tractors, Compressors, Mowers, Hydraulics, you name it. Never had any problems with these as they are all made by Wix.

It's all about being confortable with what I use if I'm not using the manufacture's filter.

While under warranty I use what is recommended by the MFG, after that it's up to me.

AS often as most of change oil we should never have an oil filter problem, I still remember

using a roll of toilet paper as the filter for a 50 Chev. pickup.

Thanks, Shamue

• 2 years later...