IGNORED

As long as I'm in there....

I just pulled the flywheel out to send to Dano to do the starter clutch upgrade.

As long as I'm in there, is there anything else I should be checking out or doing?

I will also be pulling out the clutch to put in the HD spring from PCW Racing, and plates if needed. Again, anything else that I should be checking out while in there?

I doubled up on the clutch spring...put the new one first, then the original to back it up......around 3,000 miles, and no complaints.

I'm sure it'd be unhealthy to do on a regular basis, but if you give it a bit of gas and pop the clutch,....it's either gonna smoke the rear tire or pull the front one off the ground.

I've heard some complain about a tighter lever, but I hardly notice it; certainly not a problem.

:thumbsup2:

87 Venture Standard

Take a good look at the stator while you have the cover off. Look for melted wires and over heated coils. Look for damage on the rubber plug on the stator wires where it goes though the case. That lil sucker is a weak spot for leaks even when installing a new one.

A liberal coating of black sealer is a good idea when reinstalling the case.

Once I had the cover off I did realize that that is the source of one of my oil leaks.

I have not cleaned it up yet to inspect it, is that plug replaceable, or just goop it up good with sealant at assembly?

The stator does look good with no signs of heat.

I was also planning soldering the 3 white wires while I am in the area.

Yeah the plug is replaceable.......it comes on a new stator. LOL! Sorry.

Just clean it up real well and pack sealant around the wires going through the plug inside and out. Make sure there are no gaps. Coat again on the outsides of the plug and gasket. Should seal up fine.

What I'm seeing is the older wires are a woven covering and they act like a wick, allowing oil to pass throught the plug.

Soldering the wires is a good move also.

Sounds like you have a good game plan going.

I'll be watching your results on the clutch upgade also. I've got my bike running real well and noticed at the end of last season when running down the road in 5th at Interstate speeds a sudden WOT would set her to slipping. So I guess it's time to do the spring mod in mine to.

I had the exact same thing last fall with the clutch slipping in 5th gear on the highway when I grabbed full throttle.

I was not sure if it was a clutch problem or just that it was 10° out and the oil was colder and thicker lubing the plates better.

My bike is at 40K.

I was able to find out that a new clutch friction plate is 3mm (.118 inch) thick and the replace dimension from the service manual is 2.8mm (.110 inch) thick.

So now I will be able to tell just how much life is left in my clutch friction plates.

PCW told me that he has never seen a worn out set of the steel plates. He did recommend bead blasting the steel plates to renew the surfaces. I even have bead blasting capability in my basement. As soon as I get the left side of the engine back on I will start on the clutch.

And in the spirit of "as long as I'm in there" I also ordered the fuse panel upgrade and am trying to track down the battery cable upgrade.

This is getting to be a long winter for me and my scoot. :mo money::mo money::mo money:

I agree totally that I need to get out and ride more.

90% of my riding is a 20 mile each way commute to work, but since I have a desk job I can only ride on nice days during the week of summer that we get here. I hate getting to work wet.

My other hobbies are not compatible with riding, for them I need the 8' box on my P/U.

Hmmmm........ maybe if I build a 4 foot wide by 9 foot long x 3 foot high box trailer to pull behind the scoot............

How much weight can a 1st gen pull?

Anyone ever try electric trailer brakes with a scoot?

Now you bums got me thinking again. :mo money::mo money:

Good time to replace the Clutch slave Cylinder, if its never been re-built or replaced.

You might consider removeing the Starter, Dissassemble it, Clean it, and might need a new set of brushes.

A new High Output Alternator, might be a nice Addition .

Just a few thoughts, seeing as how you asked. :2cents: