IGNORED

Mustang/Corbin/Sore shoulders/back

Eugene

Greetings:

I ride a 2006 RSTD and the past few rides my shoulders and back get quite sore/tired resulting in my having to stop every 30-40 minutes.

I have ridden about 18,000 km this past year and this is getting worse -( it was not bad at the start)

I have been thinking about the Mustang seat and backrest. Those of you who have switched to a Mustang or even a Corbin - did you find this helped the stiffness and soreness?

How about highway pegs - will that also help?

Thanks in advance

Eugene

My RSV has the pillow top and I love it, but did have some back pains on long rides, I added a Utopia back rest and no problems anymore. Did 1400 miles in 4 days last weekend and still felt like riding more when I got back. If it would just stop raining now I'd go ride.

One important thing to consider is handlebar position.

On my 86VR it made a big difference on which position I had them in.

Steve

Hi Steve

So - ideally, what is the "proper" handlebar position? Is it possible to explain it? I sometimes feel as if I'm pulling on them a bit - I know I'm not pushing.

Eugene

I was going to mention handlebar position also.

Sounds like you are reaching too far forward, and maybe too far up.

You may need to lower your bar ends which should be easy, and possibly move them back with some extenders on the fork.

You should be able to sit comfortably on the bike (try it on the center stand with your feet where you have normally been riding) and see if you can reach the handles without leaning forward.

If you are leaning forward, a more forward position with the pegs/feet won't help, and may hurt, but having an alternate foot position is always a good thing if comfortable.

Do you have a cruise or throttle lock or that type of grip with a tab to let you rest your fingers? I find it also helps to relax my hands as much as possible when on long rides.

But my bet is you are leaning forward and that is pulling your back muscles. Over time they just get worse.

But also pay attention to what you are doing when this happens. Put up with a story that will illustrate:

I had a route sales business for years and one summer I was under a lot of stress and my left leg was aching something awful. I was unable to figure out why till one day I noticed I was driving with my left leg rammed HARD up against the floorboard. When I relaxed, and stopped that habit, my pain went away. Amazing that it went on for weeks without me noticing. Is it possible you are maybe gripping the bars or pushing on them and not noticing? Just pay attention the next time you get that pain.

This has been mentioned above but I too will agree that Handle Bar position is very important.

I have found for me that with the back rest I don't have to hang onto the handle bars so hard. What I am saying is I rest against the backrest and just use the bars for steering.

I recently removed my backrest just to see if it was that much. I got to tell you, I felt naked, nothing to lay back against and the muscles between my shoulder were pretty sore as well as my lower back.

First thing I would try is the backrest but if you buy a custom seat you may want to buy the matching one.

Good Luck,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bikerbob

Having just completed a BBG this last weekend I can attest to the back saving qualities of the Mustang seat and backrest. Quite simply I do not think I would have made it without the backrest. Cheers

Thanks again for all the and suggestions.

I did order the Mustang and it should be here by tomorrow - just in time for the rains - yuck!! I'll see how that goes and then, if needed, will look at new handlebars but it seems the new seat will push me forward enough!

Cheers

Eugene