First, I would like to thank Monty for the basic idea which I then modified. I have attached pictures of the the final product: somewhat crude but functional..the back plate is removable for winter riding. Currently, vent pointing downward but can be removed and turned 180 degree for warm air upwards.....

Material: Aluminum flashing----$10.00

Aluminum Vent-------$ 2.00

Hardest part was making a template: first paper and then basic template in aluminum...and lots of patient and trimming.

Edited by cimack77

Didn't someone on here make some stainless pieces? I would like to just blank the whole thing off, but would like stainless or chrome.

I have intended to make a couple of covers to just cover this area also but I like this idea much better. Stainless would look nice but it is so hard to work with. Very tough metal and I don't thing tin snips would do much cutting. I've got a foot shear but it wouldn't faze stainless of any thickness. I've got some aluminum that looks heavier than what it looks like Cinmack used. I could probably keep the final form a little flatter and not distorted by using it and I believe I would probably paint the finished product so as to stop any oxidation. It does look like an affordable cure to a problem however as in the summertime there is so much heat coming off the engine and pipes in that area that my leg gets burned up and the ability to flip in the other direction for winter is a great idea.

Dick

It does look like an affordable cure to a problem however as in the summertime there is so much heat coming off the engine and pipes in that area that my leg gets burned up ....
Are the 1st gens hotter than the 2nd gens around the engine?

Just curious.

• 1 month later...

Nice polished 'something' in the space. I have just left them there, and the heat in winter is not missed, (can warm my hands on them if I want thought) and does not creat a heat problem in the hotest months of the summer. Brad may have photographs. They look pretty sharp. You may be able to see a shot of them on my postings, not sure.

JackZ

:97: