IGNORED

Horn for the "big dogs"

Shot

I installed by Stebel air horn today and tried it out in the garage. I'm 63 and don't need to be losing anything but boy did that horn nearly blowed out my windows and my ears. With snow on the ground I can't get out but can't wait to use it. I've been reading threads how the horn has saved venture riders and now I see why. Good money spent.

Just so you know, this site has been great for someone like me; I pick up so many ideas and safety tips from all you crazies. Thanks.

I have absolutely no doubt I would not be sitting here if it had not been for my air horns. I encountered several that were absolutely committed in pulling into me and my air horns saved me.

One thing to consider about air horns is that the big name horns are nice, but for years I have had horns I got at harbor freight for about $10 a set. Given I have bought several sets over the years, I now have a compressor for each horn, rather than splittlng them up.

I used to get the chrome horns, but now I just get the red ones and pull the horn part out and paint them gloss black. They fit real nice under the fairing on a 1st gen.

If you care about yourself, your rider and your bike, you had better do EVERYTHING you can do to help protect yourself.

RandyA

Hey Shot (and others)...

Where did you get your Stebel Air Horn from/

Also, did you use the wiring harness AND mount that Carbon One offers here on our site (in the classifieds)? Or did you use the wiring harness you can get when you purchase the Stebel directly?

Thanks,

Wally

Wally, I just searched ebay until I found a good seller and the best price , About Half.

Yes , USE Larry's bracket, and if you do not know the relay stuff to well , get his harness Larry knows his stuff about relays. as I am ALWAYS emailing him on what wire goes ware

:big-grin-emoticon: he never has any problems in helping you. The Stables are a wonderful loud A$$ Horn!

Jeff

PS , DO NOT BUY the harness from the supplier (It will not work as advertised until you change and remove stuff.)

Larry's will REALLY be plug&play

I have absolutely no doubt I would not be sitting here if it had not been for my air horns. I encountered several that were absolutely committed in pulling into me and my air horns saved me.

One thing to consider about air horns is that the big name horns are nice, but for years I have had horns I got at harbor freight for about $10 a set. Given I have bought several sets over the years, I now have a compressor for each horn, rather than splittlng them up.

I used to get the chrome horns, but now I just get the red ones and pull the horn part out and paint them gloss black. They fit real nice under the fairing on a 1st gen.

If you care about yourself, your rider and your bike, you had better do EVERYTHING you can do to help protect yourself.

RandyA

I, being rather new here, have read with great interest about these horns. I have two 1st gen bikes, and I'd be interested in advice about how you install and mount these babies on a first generation, with pics if at all possible. Maybe just a few shots showing where you put it under the fairing. I guess I can gather the wiring from other threads.

I, being rather new here, have read with great interest about these horns. I have two 1st gen bikes, and I'd be interested in advice about how you install and mount these babies on a first generation, with pics if at all possible. Maybe just a few shots showing where you put it under the fairing. I guess I can gather the wiring from other threads.

My mount under the fairing is in this post.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91&highlight=stebel

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Shot (and others)...

Where did you get your Stebel Air Horn from/

Also, did you use the wiring harness AND mount that Carbon One offers here on our site (in the classifieds)? Or did you use the wiring harness you can get when you purchase the Stebel directly?

Thanks,

Wally

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I just signed on and started reading. As you can see, you get responses from all over and all the help you need. I got my bracket from Carbon One and the harness from the manufacturer. I can see why so many riders use this type of horn, it will wake you up.

I installed by Stebel air horn today and tried it out in the garage. I'm 63 and don't need to be losing anything but boy did that horn nearly blowed out my windows and my ears. With snow on the ground I can't get out but can't wait to use it. I've been reading threads how the horn has saved venture riders and now I see why. Good money spent.

Just so you know, this site has been great for someone like me; I pick up so many ideas and safety tips from all you crazies. Thanks.

If you have a G2 and really wanna kick it up a notch :178:, run a 14ga wire from the relay to one terminal on the factory horn behind the left lower. Then ground the other terminal to one of the horn mounting bolts.

Edited by wes0778
clarification of "grounding"

WES, So in doing that mod for the factory horn will boost it more?

I already have the stable installed and the relays up under the fairing.

I can tap off of one of them and that horn will get louder as well? :think:

maybe I read your post wrong.

I have everything torn apart anyways for my other projects and if this

is the case I will add the wire for it as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

I ran it off the same #87 relay terminal that I ran to the Stebel. My horn relay is attached to a bolt under the coolant recovery bottle, so I used a straightend coat hanger to "fish" the wire from there under the tank and then routed it down to the horn. Of course I had to remove the left lower fairing.

Thanks Walter! I will do that mod during this weeks new projects!

#87 to power on horn. and Done! Leave Ground were it is!

I have one relay that is running just my headlight , thinking of

coming off that one, it is close to the lower fairing horn.

I will un-plug the stable and do a before and after test and

let you know what I think as well.

Jeff

Thanks Walter! I will do that mod during this weeks new projects!

#87 to power on horn. and Done! Leave Ground were it is!

I have one relay that is running just my headlight , thinking of

coming off that one, it is close to the lower fairing horn.

I will un-plug the stable and do a before and after test and

let you know what I think as well.

Jeff

No-No-No, unplug the factory wiring to the lower horn and tie it off. Then run a short wire from one horn terminal (ground) to one ot the horn mounting bolts, then connect the other lower horn terminal to the #87 terminal of the same relay that sends power to the Stebel air horn. The only factory wiring you end up using are the two wires that were originally connected to the factory right rear horn. Those two wires should now be hooked to the #85 and #86 terminals on the Stebel relay. The #30 terminal should have a fused 14ga (or larger) wire run to the positive terminal on the battery.