IGNORED

cruise control question

screaming red

Hi to all,

I have read some concerns about the cruise control but this is a bit different. When I set the cruise all is ok but when I rest my hand on the throttle the sightest twitch either way will disengage it. Is there a way to only have the cruise disengage using front or rear brakes. I like riding with both hands on my grips and tried adjusting throttle cable but still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sreaming Red

Hi to all,

I have read some concerns about the cruise control but this is a bit different. When I set the cruise all is ok but when I rest my hand on the throttle the sightest twitch either way will disengage it. Is there a way to only have the cruise disengage using front or rear brakes. I like riding with both hands on my grips and tried adjusting throttle cable but still the same.

Sreaming Red

I would guess its the clutch or front brake lever causing your issue.

When it's cold out (

I believe the throttle isn't supposed to affect the cruise unless you change the bikes speed by more than 5 mph (I think).

I do know that when I had an old set of fringed lever covers on my bike, the cruise would absolutely NOT stay set at all. I took 'em off and the cruise went back to perfect.

Are you sure it's not the levers?

Hi to all,

Sreaming Red

My RSV-08 will stay engaged and I have noticed sometimes I will slightly twist front or rear and bike will acell or decell but when I realize that I release and will go to where it was first set (usually less than 3 to 5 mph either way). Let see what others report but sounds not right compared to what mine does. :snow2:

With the key on and engine off rest your hand on the throttle and have someone watch if your brake light comes on. The cruise is very sensitive to the brake control not so much to the throttle. Also while riding try resting your hand on or tapping the vibration damper rather than the throttle to see if that helps narrow things down. Won't fix anything but might help confirm it is a throttle problem.

I don't know if this will help you guys trouble shoot the cruise control on the RSV's or not.

I took the wiring diagram for the RSV's and removed anything that was not related to the cruise control.

This may make it a little easier to narrow down an electrical problem.

The throttle position sensor is tied into the cruise circuits. So maybe the throttle cable free play might be an issue.

Gary

There's a single cable that goes from the throttle cable joint to the vacuum actuator. If the slack isn't right you can't set cruise. (8-71) If touching the throttle makes it come out of cruise it would seem that it's pretty close to not setting at all. That's what lead me to suggest the adjustment at the vacuum actuator.

There's a single cable that goes from the throttle cable joint to the vacuum actuator. If the slack isn't right you can't set cruise. (8-71) If touching the throttle makes it come out of cruise it would seem that it's pretty close to not setting at all. That's what lead me to suggest the adjustment at the vacuum actuator.

Thanks for your replies. I am seeing the vacuum actuator mentioned a few times, can you tell me where that is located?

Screaming Red

Hi all,

I have the left lower fairing off and see the cruise control actuator, Should I tighten the cable or loosen it?

Screaming Red

You should test it according to the specs in the manual, and then tighten or loosen as required to bring it into spec. We can't tell you which way to go on it if you haven't done any measurements.

Good luck.

Hi to all,

Sreaming Red

I see you have a 99 like mine. I had CC problems awhile back and if you follow this thread you will see what I found and how I fixed it. Not saying that is the problem but it is an easy check to see.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38349

Thank guys for all your info,

I did the self diagnostic check on the cruise including the throttle check all ok. SET light will turn off using clutch, SET and RES light goes off using front and rear brakes. The only thing I noticed the diagnostics said when performing throttle diag it will turn the throttle fully and then back it only turned maybe half befor turning back is this ok.

Throttle cable is ok and adjusted correctly.

Screaming Red