IGNORED

heated vest on 1st gen

Am planning an early June trip to Colorado this coming summer...Going to be a bit chilly riding a few of those passes I imagine.. was thinking of a heated vest for my better half, but wondered if the electrical output of my 84 first gen is enough... I was thinking no, but thought I check with the folks here.. Anyone early first gen riders familiar with this...???

Thanks,

Clay

Vests usually draw about 45 watts(~4amps) You have a 32 amp charging system at HIWAY speeds. Not at idle.These bikes need 20+amps of juice just to keep going. AND Assuming you have no other high draw accessories on, like driving lights....As long as you are running at hiway speeds ...say over 3000rpm . You should be fine. Don't be city driving w/vest turned on.

I have 50 watt driving lights, but rarely use them. They are just on the bike for my rare night riding...I just want to make sure that I'm not found with a dead batt at 14,000 feet.. of course there's always a running downhill start....

Thanks for the info.. I was not sure of the output on these older VRs..I'll check on the draw of the vest before I order one..

Clay

I don't know if you keep up on this Clay but dirty or corroded connections create resistance and will cause a voltage drop. A complete cleanup every few years is a good maintenance thing. Especially do the starter, R/R, headlight Hi and Lo, grounds and battery terminals.

Just a side note about the missing images in your sig:

This "http://file:///C:/Users/Clay/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg" means that image is on your computer and it cannot be displayed until it is uploaded to VR.org and then linked to them. I'm not sure where those files need to go on the site but someone will probably chime in with the info.

Thanks.. I like check out the missing images...The connections.....I've got the bike torn down a bit right now in the garage.. replacing the collector, putting in new swing arm bushings, going to rebuild the starter too.....maybe even put in a barrnet clutch...I'll check all the connection.. especially the solenoid

80,000 miles on the old girl and she still runs like a charm.. 15,000 miles each of the last 2 years..

On one of my great rides (Tucson - Albuquerque - Dallas -Oklahoma City - Kansas City- Denver - Albuquerque - Tucson) on my 2006 HD Low Rider (back in June 2007), I found that Colorado wasn't that cold. Often times, a long sleeved shirt was enough...once in a while I needed my jacket. My Harley didn't have a windshield on it either. I would review an Almanac to see what temps you're going to be looking at before you either take my word or spend money on an item you may not use.

Am planning an early June trip to Colorado this coming summer...Going to be a bit chilly riding a few of those passes I imagine.. was thinking of a heated vest for my better half, but wondered if the electrical output of my 84 first gen is enough... I was thinking no, but thought I check with the folks here.. Anyone early first gen riders familiar with this...???

Thanks,

Clay

I use a heated vest on occasion, when doing hwy rides in colder temps (about 3* C). I have not had any problems, as a result of its use.

:2cents:

On one of my great rides (Tucson - Albuquerque - Dallas -Oklahoma City - Kansas City- Denver - Albuquerque - Tucson) on my 2006 HD Low Rider (back in June 2007), I found that Colorado wasn't that cold. Often times, a long sleeved shirt was enough...once in a while I needed my jacket. My Harley didn't have a windshield on it either. I would review an Almanac to see what temps you're going to be looking at before you either take my word or spend money on an item you may not use.

:sign yeah that: We held the National at Ft Collins, Co. in July'07. Most of the local canyon riding was T-Shirt except for the very high passes thru Estes Park. Temps were very warm. Your reg riding jackets should be fine.

I got snow and 32 degrees on July 4th in 2006 on Independence Pass. We just layered up and powered through it. The passes are very unpredictable. Decent rain gear is a must, less so in early June, but still a must.

Unless you have a lot of extra money lying around that you are dead set to spend on an electric suit, you might be better off taking a different tact to stay warm. Layering gives you almost infinite flexibility... helpful if you are going to ride through different landscapes and temp ranges.

I did 3600+ miles this past Oct/Nov from MS up through IL, MI, NY, VT, NH, ME, PA, WV, and back home... averaged about 500 miles a day... most of which was in the low 30's temp-wise... with two whole days of rain. Only thing that got cold on the whole trip was my feet when rain found its way under my rain suit and got my socks wet. Would recommend layering with a good rain suit over the top... its all about keeping the wind from cutting through.

The 4 things that made the biggest difference on my trip were; silk long johns (hunting catalog), wool/synthetic blend socks (wally world), snow mobile mittens (Kombi), and a rubberized rain suit.

Unless you have a lot of extra money lying around that you are dead set to spend on an electric suit, you might be better off taking a different tact to stay warm. Layering gives you almost infinite flexibility... helpful if you are going to ride through different landscapes and temp ranges.

I did 3600+ miles this past Oct/Nov from MS up through IL, MI, NY, VT, NH, ME, PA, WV, and back home... averaged about 500 miles a day... most of which was in the low 30's temp-wise... with two whole days of rain. Only thing that got cold on the whole trip was my feet when rain found its way under my rain suit and got my socks wet. Would recommend layering with a good rain suit over the top... its all about keeping the wind from cutting through.

The 4 things that made the biggest difference on my trip were; silk long johns (hunting catalog), wool/synthetic blend socks (wally world), snow mobile mittens (Kombi), and a rubberized rain suit.

My wife doesn't like to be cold. I got her long johns, good jacket, good gloves with glove liners, and rain gear. Another must is a turtle fur or shampa neck warmer that comes up over her nose. We have not needed heated gear yet. Our friends got the heated vests and had trouble regulating the temperature....too hot or too cold. I put heated grips on the bike. I won't have a bike without them now.

I ride an 83 Venture with a heated vest and heated grips daily on my 60 mile comute to work. There was an article on this site under Poor mans fix on how to make a vest. Pretty simple for a shade tree guy. A bit of sewing is really the most time consuming part of it. You can make one for about 40.00. Look on ebay for "heated vest kit". If needed email me for info.

I find my hands need heat more than anywhere else. I have an '86 and I run heated gloves, radio, cb, GPS wired to the battery, and have a pair of fog/driving lights. With everything on, at idle, the meter goes low, but at highway speeds I am fine. I turn off the gloves or the aux lights depending on which one I need most at city speeds and that solves it.

I use toe warmers (expose to air, they heat) in my boots, layer everywhere else, and I am fine. The Baker FOOT WINGS are WONDERFUL! They protect from wind and rain, just pop them off in the summer or when dry.

hi Clay

i have been running with a homemade electric jacket for the wife for the last two or three years now. my wife likes the jacket because her arms used to get cold. i would recommend the jacket instead of a vest.

i run an 86VR and have never had any issues with the battery/.charging system.

cheers, Scott

p.s. : the Barnett clutch is awesome.