IGNORED

Saddlebag rail adjustment.

A friend and I just bought saddlebag rails for our 2nd Gen Ventures. After installing them they were raised up in the back outside corner as most are. We could fix them by drilling holes in the saddlebag rail just outside the whole that mounts to the rear fender as was done by the previous owner on my 2000MM or I could drill a hole in the fender mount as described in the tech article on this forum. However being an old sheet metal worker I figured all I needed to do was to rotate the flattened end that mounts to the fender. If you clamp the flattened end into a vise you gently pull the the outside back end (the end you want adjusted) in the direction that you want to go. Be careful a little goes a long way. If you adjust to much you run the risk of over bending and will have to bend it back a little or I guess it would be possible to crack the chrome plating although I think you have to twist it quit a bit. Ralph and I did his and my saddlebag rails this way and moved them from just about touching the rear turn signal lights to about 1 1/2"'s from the turn signals. The great part about this is you don't have to drill a hole in anything.:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...

So in essence your lowering the rear corner... Cool

Just ordered mine so will be doing asame thing.

Question? Why couldnt you just apply weight to rear corner(with saddle bag off), possibly using a wrapped crow bar or by cutting a Hose and placing on crome so as not to damage it?

So in essence your lowering the rear corner... Cool

Just ordered mine so will be doing asame thing.

Question? Why couldnt you just apply weight to rear corner(with saddle bag off), possibly using a wrapped crow bar or by cutting a Hose and placing on crome so as not to damage it?

I guess you could do that I'm just not sure how the piece that the saddlebag guard is attached to (on the fender) will hold up. As long as that piece doesn't bend or warp I assume that would be alright. You are just trying to adjust the angle where the rear of the saddlebag guard attaches to the fender. So take it easy and it will work I'm sure.

I see. Will have to wait till I get next week and tear apart to decide. Yours of course would be the "safest" way.

Would hate to apply pressure and bend chrome off.

Just got my lighted wing delivered by UPS. Excellent quaility and a perfect color match for my 09 RSMV. Will install tomorrow.

I looked at that article and it was very professional done. However I didn't think Yamaha would intentionally make the saddlebag guards angle that way as to hit the turn signals and I didn't want to drill any holes into my fender mount. If you do my method you get very much the same result but with no drilling. Just a little twist and the same result. I don't have a very good picture but I did find this one.:confused24:

I put the bag rails on last Monday. Didn't like the way they looked from the side, so after reading this thread, I went to home depot, got all the stuff to drill a new hole and put a nut on the back side of the support. When trying to get the rail in the exact position, I noticed that I would have to bend the flat area where it attaches to the support in order for it to lay flat. After bending it, it corrected the position and now looks great. So, I didn't have to drill a hole after all. One word from experience; after you bend it a little in the vise, bolt it back on the bike both front and back, put the bags back on, don't bolt the bags, check the alignment. If not exact, push down on the bend part of the rail, the side that was too high to start with while supporting the straight area of the rail up by the forward connection. Do it slow but firm. Recheck with the bags back on, if they are where you want them, bolt the bags back on... Try it, it worked for me! Note: on my rails, the bend part (corner) was about 2" higher than the bottom corner on the bags. Now it's flush with the bottom.:080402gudl_prv:

Hello all,

I am new here and have enjoyed reading all of the experiences of this group. It has been very educational for a newbie like myself. Thank you all!

Question: Is it typical to have to go through all this work to add an accessory to a RSTD/RSV? I was thinking that if you buy a part (saddlebag rails) from Yamaha - for a Yamaha, that it would fit without any bending/drilling/muscling/posting?

Maybe I answered my own question in the previous paragraph. I did say I am a newbie!

Cheers,

Nick P.

P.S. Any good mechanics in the greater Cleveland/Akron area looking to do some 4K maintenance on a 2006 Midnight RSTD and add some accessories?

When I put mine on, I just snugged the rear bolts and left the front ones loose and pushed down hard on the rear corners till they were even all the way across and then

tightened them down. They are level with the bottom of the bags now and didn't have to do anything but use a little force.

Hello all,

I am new here and have enjoyed reading all of the experiences of this group. It has been very educational for a newbie like myself. Thank you all!

Question: Is it typical to have to go through all this work to add an accessory to a RSTD/RSV? I was thinking that if you buy a part (saddlebag rails) from Yamaha - for a Yamaha, that it would fit without any bending/drilling/muscling/posting?

Maybe I answered my own question in the previous paragraph. I did say I am a newbie!

Cheers,

Nick P.

P.S. Any good mechanics in the greater Cleveland/Akron area looking to do some 4K maintenance on a 2006 Midnight RSTD and add some accessories?

To answer your question about Yamaha parts. No some parts bolt on fine. I think Yamaha (or whoever builds the saddlebag rails for Yamaha) could do a nicer job. I have heard that some people bolt on the saddlebag rails and they fit just fine but most have to adjust them. I think the flat end after it gets bet and welded just twist a little. By twisting the flat end you correct the twist.

I have installed to Yamaha luggage racks and in my opinion that is a pain in the %$#. The holes never line up so I end up enlarging a couple of holes in order to mount it. The visors for the lights seem to be under bent so you have to adjust them a little. The replacement windshields bolt on fine. The passing lights bolt on fine however I suggest installing them like the article tech section suggest. If you take your time you can do all the aftermarket stuff yourself with help from the tech section. If there is nothing in the tech section just ask the question in the forum and you should get a lot of help.

Welcome.

I just leaned on mine, right on the bike and they went right into place. No extra holes, no crow bars, no vise, no muss, no fuss. And no damage to the chrome.

That's what I wanted to hear. I did not try pushing on it while it was mounted because I did not want to risk damaging the chrome mounting piece on the fender. I'm glad you tried it so now we know it will not hurt the fender.:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...
Guest Pappyk

I just purchased a set of saddlebag rails for my 2006 RSV and was planning on installing them. When I removed the saddlebags I found that where the rails would attach to the fender in behind the saddle bags there was what looks like a large chrome rivet. I poked around a little to see if it would come off but it seems to be on there pretty tight. I assumed that I would have to drill this out. Any of you guys that installed your rails come across this or was the bolt hole empty on yours? :confused24:

Guest Pappyk
it's a chromed plastic plug, get under the edge of it with a knife and give it a pry..

pops right out.

mike

Yep, your right. I must be getting timid in my old age. There was a time I would have found that out real quick by myself. Thanks. Rails are now installed and using the info here on the forum they are nice a straight too.

• 2 weeks later...
it's a chromed plastic plug, get under the edge of it with a knife and give it a pry..

pops right out.

mike

Nice.. just the info I was looking for.. had to remove the chrome fender trim and tap it out from the back side though - I was scratching the chrome trying to get under it..

Looks like I will have to drill a new hole anyhow... bought some rails off ebay and they aren't Yammies.. so not quite to spec - wont quite reach the factory hole..

But rails appear to line up better if I drill hole under it anyhow

UPDATE ON RAILS:

Finally got mine. Factory rails and yes they were too high in the back outer corner. Just grabbed the corner with both hands and gave a firm push down. Worked perfect! No cracking of chrome. Just don't over do it, push a little at a time. They actually bend a LOT easier than I thought, hope they protect saddlebag in a laydown...