IGNORED

Need to replace valve cover gaskets!

As I slowly get to the end of my restoration, I find another thing here or there that causes my project to slow down...

:crying:

I got the carb and ignition issues worked out! Replacing the diaphragms fixed the "lean" condition. Cleaning the plugs fixed the ignition issues as I had to use the enrichener to keep the engine running before fixing the carbs.

However, I now noticed some very nice cracking in the rubber "half-moons" plugs on the valve cover gaskets. I also have noticed a little oil on the engine...not much, but enough to know that the valve cover gaskets are going.

What parts do I need to replace when doing the gaskets?

What components do I need to remove to access the valve covers? I already have ALL the plastic off. I will also be removing the carbs (again) soon to replace the carb mount boots (very tiny leak found).

I've heard that 2nd Gen valve cover gaskets will work on 1st Gens. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance!

WHCC

The 2nd gen gaskets are fine to use and even easier to install as to a slightly different shape on the outer lip. Best bet is to clean up the covers and use a light coat of sealant in the groove of the cover, install the gaskets and let it sit over night. A lot easier than trying to hold the gaskets in while reinstalling the covers.

The gaskets are about $20.00 to $30.00 each at the dealers and can be found on eBay once in a while. I found a set for $12.00 each a while back on eBay.

When you pull the cover off you will find a tapered rubber plug on each bolt. Best bet is to replace them all. They get pretty hard over the years. If I remember right they are on the pricey side as you need sixteen of them. About $6.00 or $8.00 buck each.

I had my carbs off and the battery box out when I did mine and it was pretty simple at that point.

A word of advice.......while you are at it.......replace that breather hose from the crankcase to the air box with a new one. My old one was stiff as a piece of pipe and a PITA to get back on. The new one is much easier to remove and install.

And remember these wise words from an old bike mechanic. "Every bike is about $2,000 away from being finished."

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

As I slowly get to the end of my restoration, I find another thing here or there that causes my project to slow down...

:crying:

I got the carb and ignition issues worked out! Replacing the diaphragms fixed the "lean" condition. Cleaning the plugs fixed the ignition issues as I had to use the enrichener to keep the engine running before fixing the carbs.

However, I now noticed some very nice cracking in the rubber "half-moons" plugs on the valve cover gaskets. I also have noticed a little oil on the engine...not much, but enough to know that the valve cover gaskets are going.

What parts do I need to replace when doing the gaskets?

What components do I need to remove to access the valve covers? I already have ALL the plastic off. I will also be removing the carbs (again) soon to replace the carb mount boots (very tiny leak found).

I've heard that 2nd Gen valve cover gaskets will work on 1st Gens. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance!

WHCC

While you have the covers off you might as well check your valve clearances.

You should be able to locate Aftermarkets Rubbers for the Cover Bolts. Maybe our Diaphragmn Retailer Sirius carries them too.

I buy them all the Time here in Gemany, about 1.50 Euro each here. They work much better than the old, hard Rubbers and i had no Problems sine Years with them. They might be not as good a OEM, but at 6 Bucks each, i'll get very cheap.

That's it Lutz.......I'm moving to Germany! You guys get all the good prices and nice high performance stuff!

I bought a NOS lot last year of twelve of those plugs off eBay and still paid more than $3.00 each. But that was still a bargin on the darn things.

Mike

Well Mike,

come on over. :happy34: :happy34: :happy34:

But be prepared to get screwed and/or shafted one or the other Way on each and every other Corner...

Seriously, Cars, Bikes and Parts, just about everything is much more expensive over here, and not only because our Gov' is charging nineteen Percent Value added Tax on everything except Food, Newspapers and some other Things of daily Expense.

I've used Bike Bandit in the past, and they have never done me wrong. They want $2.99 for each of the rubber plugs and $28.70 (all in USD) for each of the gaskets. They'll ship for $7. I went to http://www.buckeyeperformance.com . Rick owns/runs Buckeye Performance and specializes in VRs. He quoted me about $10-$15 cheaper than Bike Bandit's price. I think a part of it is that I am also a member at http://www.venturers.org . Members from the Venturers get a small discount from Buckeye Performance.

I doubt I'll go through SDI again (the company who sells the diaphragms).

Something else I need to do is see if MiCarl has the parts I need. He gives a %15 discount for the members here. MiCarl runs/owns Thunder Valley Powersports at http://www.thundervalleypower.com .