IGNORED

Help needed in Houston

jburrell

I am sure some one has seen this before and can point me in the right direction. I am at work now but I do have my tools with me. As I was riding to work this morning I noticed a Puff of steam from the left rear side of the engnine and upon looking down I noticed that I had some anti-freeze on the pipes ( silver slivers and specks on hot pipes.) it was not much but there. The puffs at first were intermitten as thoght something was starting and stopping the leak. Now I know there is a water line along the upper frame that I believe goes back to somewhere in the top end of the engine. I made it to work after stopping once to check and see if I could see any water leaking. Getting here I had a constant small amount of steam but never got any indicator lights that I was overheating. I removed the resivor cover and yes It was out of antifreeze. This same thing happened last year on the right side and I never found the leak and until now it has never appeared again. I refilled the resivor and the issue disappeared. I plan on removing the tank at lucch to see what I can find but does anyone have a idea where the issue comes from based on its apparent location on the L rear to center of the engine? Nothing shows up on the Right side of engine and all steam rose from left side of gas tank. Byt he way it is about 67 here so its not from the cold.

IDeas???

jb may be walking home. Actually, I have Roadside assistance for towing but would like to fix it here at lunch if possible.

Do not remove your gas tank yet..

It sounds like one of the seals on the left rear side engine cover is leaking..

I would remove the left rear side engine cover:

Remove the 3 Allen head screws, and the cover should come right off.

Look for which of the three screw holes is leaking.

There is a small seal that leaks.

If I remember correctly you can add a thin washer to the back side of the cover to press in on the seal when you tighten the Allen head screw. This seams to stop it temporairily...

I am signing off to search for the tech article on how to fix and I will be right back.

Edited by Eck

ECK, Thanks for the info. I pulled the cover and I don't see what you mean. No rubber items there that I seel I ran the bike for a few mintues and did not see more leakage. I had added water to the resivor. Not seeing anything. Pulled gas tank and found radiator empty.(not good). I checked the water lind that runs down the outside r side of the upper frame and no noticable leaks or evidence of leaks ( white powder on hose). I refilled the radiator and restarted but no leak. No idea what is happening. I had checked the radiator level and resivor level before I went to Big Bend in November but not since. Water is leaving somewhere though. I may have to hire someone like Squidley that has the expertise to find the problem and resolve it as I don't have enough experience yet.

Owen offered to tow me home but I am going to try to ride it home and see what happens how that I have water in it again and if I have to stop I can call Roadside assistance.

Kreg offered to come over and assist but I have to go to the Hospital later to see Lynn as she was admitted yesterday with severe Bronchiatis/pneumonia and will be there 3 or 4 days yet. I will head home early just in case. I normally get off at 6pm cst but will leave about 4 today so I have daylight to see issues on the way home.

I appreciate everyones assitance. Hopefully we can figure it out quickly so I can continue to ride in this nice weather. Its gonna be 78 here thursday. I also have to take care of a car problem as Lynn sideswipped my car with hers as she was leaving to go to hospital.

At least I have a great job.

:fingers crossed: :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::smile11:

There are lots of places above the engine where coolant could leak, including the thermostat housing, but I really doubt it is up there. The most common place for a coolant leak on these engines is the small black rubber plug dead center in the bottom of the water jacket behind each fake fin cover. When you take the cover off, this is the only round black thing in there, so it really is easy to see. Besides being black rubber, it has a brass threaded insert that is used to screw something into and pull the plug when you are draining the coolant form each cylinder water jacket. But don't pull one of those plugs off now unless you want to drain the coolant again! The coolant does not leak from any of the holes from the cover bolts, just around that black rubber plug.

When you look at the back of the cylinder fin cover, in the center near the bottom - the same place the rubber plug is in the engine, you will see a bump that is supposed to press up against the plug when the fin covers are screwed on. To stop a leak in those plugs, tape or glue a dime on that bump - this will provide enough extra pressure on the rubber plug to seal it up again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose,

Thanks for jumping in with the answer to what I was trying to tell him. It has been a while since I worked on Ventures, and I knew it there was a plug behind the fake cover but could not remember exactly where.

Sorry I had to leave earlier to take my wife to therapy, and then grocery shopping, and we just got back. I was going to jump in right now and search for what you already explained to him.

Thanks again !! :thumbsup2:

Eck

There are lots of places above the engine where coolant could leak, including the thermostat housing, but I really doubt it is up there. The most common place for a coolant leak on these engines is the small black rubber plug dead center in the bottom of the water jacket behind each fake fin cover. When you take the cover off, this is the only round black thing in there, so it really is easy to see. Besides being black rubber, it has a brass threaded insert that is used to screw something into and pull the plug when you are draining the coolant form each cylinder water jacket. But don't pull one of those plugs off now unless you want to drain the coolant again! The coolant does not leak from any of the holes from the cover bolts, just around that black rubber plug.

When you look at the back of the cylinder fin cover, in the center near the bottom - the same place the rubber plug is in the engine, you will see a bump that is supposed to press up against the plug when the fin covers are screwed on. To stop a leak in those plugs, tape or glue a dime on that bump - this will provide enough extra pressure on the rubber plug to seal it up again. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well I found the rubber plug that was mentioned when I restarted the bike and it started dumping water badly right under the fins as explained. I took the fins back off and saw the plug was way loose. I talked with Gunboat to make sure I had the right plug while I was in the garage. I took some tape and a penny and put it where pushed against the plug and refilled with water and viola I am home with no leaks now. I want to thank every one for their contributions to this thread and the offers of assistance from everyone.

I guess I will order some new plugs and replace all four to be safe since I need to add antifreeze now anyway.Sure is lots of good folks on this site. Thanks Freebird for making the site available with such good info and people.

:hurts::hurts::hurts::smile11::sign outstanding::You_Rock_Emoticon:

James, Glad to hear that you got her home safe and sound and found what the problem was.... I sure hope Lynn gets well fast..... as far as her driving goes...well, you know..LOL tell her hi and best wishes are sent..

Kreg

ECK, Thanks for the info. I pulled the cover and I don't see what you mean. No rubber items there that I seel I ran the bike for a few mintues and did not see more leakage. I had added water to the resivor. Not seeing anything. Pulled gas tank and found radiator empty.(not good). I checked the water lind that runs down the outside r side of the upper frame and no noticable leaks or evidence of leaks ( white powder on hose). I refilled the radiator and restarted but no leak. No idea what is happening. I had checked the radiator level and resivor level before I went to Big Bend in November but not since. Water is leaving somewhere though. I may have to hire someone like Squidley that has the expertise to find the problem and resolve it as I don't have enough experience yet.

Owen offered to tow me home but I am going to try to ride it home and see what happens how that I have water in it again and if I have to stop I can call Roadside assistance.

Kreg offered to come over and assist but I have to go to the Hospital later to see Lynn as she was admitted yesterday with severe Bronchiatis/pneumonia and will be there 3 or 4 days yet. I will head home early just in case. I normally get off at 6pm cst but will leave about 4 today so I have daylight to see issues on the way home.

I appreciate everyones assitance. Hopefully we can figure it out quickly so I can continue to ride in this nice weather. Its gonna be 78 here thursday. I also have to take care of a car problem as Lynn sideswipped my car with hers as she was leaving to go to hospital.

At least I have a great job.

:fingers crossed: :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::smile11: