IGNORED

Clutch Hand, OK...I'm a wuss

Alright...The clutch is killing my hand. It was especially bad today for some reason...the gloves (it's cold here) seemed to make it worse. I took my bike to the dealer today for some work and rode to the dealer with STOCK GRIPS...and while I was having the other work done, I told them to change the grips out to the Kuryakn ISO grips (which I used for 6 years on my previous bike)...and even with those grips...I still am having pain when I clutch...I did notice my hand is way up on the grip.

Just curious if ANY OTHER members are having the same problems and what you did about it...maybe change out the levers?

Thanks,

Wally

It shouldn't be that difficult. I have the spring upgrade and I don't have any issues. Do you have something going on with your hand like Carpal Tunnel? I don't have that big a hand. I'm 5'9" 200lbs and I use three fingers. If it's that bad then there's something wrong with the clutch or your hand.

Nope...no carpal tunnel. I should have explained where the pain occurs...it's right between my thumb and index finger...it is a pressure pain and seems to be related to where I pull the clutch...

Never happened on my VTX...so it has something to do with the pull or location of the clutch lever.

Thanks,

Wally

Alright...The clutch is killing my hand. It was especially bad today for some reason...the gloves (it's cold here) seemed to make it worse. I took my bike to the dealer today for some work and rode to the dealer with STOCK GRIPS...and while I was having the other work done, I told them to change the grips out to the Kuryakn ISO grips (which I used for 6 years on my previous bike)...and even with those grips...I still am having pain when I clutch...I did notice my hand is way up on the grip.

Just curious if ANY OTHER members are having the same problems and what you did about it...maybe change out the levers?

Thanks,

Wally

That hydraulic clutch takes a bit getting used to....Have ya tried doing any strength exercises for your clutch hand?:080402gudl_prv:

Boomer.....who sez clutching a cold beer in dat left hand could work wonders for overall clutch ops.:whistling:

Some of these answers seem a wee bit unhelpful. Except... the advice worked for me.

I went from a smaller bike (a Suzuki 750) to my RSTD. I was totally intimidated by the size, so I started working out. I did leg bench presses, shoulder military presses, rowing machine. And grip strengthening. I worked whatever I thought would be RSTD control muscles and it really did help. I had infrequent clutch hand pain like you describe, but I don't any more.

And when I went back to the 750, I felt like I could pick it up and throw it. It is ridiculously light now.

You might give it a try if no one gives you a better idea.

Dave

First thing I would try is a larger size glove . Next might be adjusting the lever to sit a little closer to the bars , then you could sqeeze futher out on the lever for more leverage. I have problems with my hands going numb but I think it's poor circulation. It gets worse with gloves especialy if they are tight. It doesn't sound like a problem with the bike but compare it to another just to be sure. Good luck , hope this helps. You may have to get a different set of levers it doesn't look to have much room for adjusting the stock levers and I don't think I would trust trying to reshape them without a back-up .