IGNORED

Wind chill

Riderduke

WITH ALL THE TALK ABOUT RIDING IN THE COLD EVEN IN FLORIDIA IT GOT ME THINKING. I CAME UPON THIS A FEW YEARS AGO, AND JUST DUG IT UP. INTRESTING INFO ON HOW COLD IT REALLY IS RIDING IN THE WINTER.:cold::cold:

http://webmaster10.com/ldr/windchill.html

This is the new chart that the National Weather Service will start using for the 2001/2002 winter season.http://webmaster10.com/ldr/windchillchart.gif

hahah, last Thurs i was almost off the chart with windchill and i was just walking to the parking lot.. It hit -37c (-35f) with a 20mph wind....

Tomorrow however we will be close to +40f , almost biking weather..... if we can melt this snow now,,,,,,,:think:

Brian

hahah, last Thurs i was almost off the chart with windchill and i was just walking to the parking lot.. It hit -37c (-35f) with a 20mph wind....

Tomorrow however we will be close to +40f , almost biking weather..... if we can melt this snow now,,,,,,,:think:

Brian

Thats time to head South. Quickly!!

but, that still doesn't tell you, the wind chill if your moving, in the wind.

like 31 degrees out Plus a wind of 25= 16(wind chill factor) but what if your doing 45 mph in that wind chill, then what is the correct wind chill factor?

I would think it would depend on whether you are riding with the wind, or against it.

If the wind is blowing at 25 mph and you are riding with it at 45 mph, theoretically your speed through the air would only be 20 mph. So the wind chill would be figured at 20 MPH.

Now if you are riding directly into that 25 mph wind at 45 mph, theoretically your speed through the wind would be 70 mph. In this case the wind chill would be figured at 70 mph.

but, that still doesn't tell you, the wind chill if your moving, in the wind.

like 31 degrees out Plus a wind of 25= 16(wind chill factor) but what if your doing 45 mph in that wind chill, then what is the correct wind chill factor?

The caculation for that would be use the chart and add a

OH MY GOD ITS COLD To the number you get:whistling:

:crackup::rotfl::rotfl::crackup:

If I remember correctly the wind chill factor is calculated for exposed skin. Not on any surface. So on a bike with the proper gear you should be OK. However there are some things you just can't cover.... like face and eyeballs. At -30f deg, freezing can happen very quickly. When we went over BearTooth Pass last September it got a little nippy on the top and the tops of my ears started hurting like hell. Later on figured it out.... the vent was open on the top of the helmet... :) SOP for us boys from California. :rotf:

Well heck that chart doesn't do me much good. Jeff rides faster then 60 mph. Plus I know how cold it is at about 20 going over 70 wwwwaaayyyyy tttttooooo ccccooolllllldddddd ttttooooo bbbeeee rrrriiiiddddiiinnnggg.

Don't like riding while I'm shivering and turning blue. Heck I'd end up looking like a frozen smurf. :Laugh:

Margaret

Well heck that chart doesn't do me much good. Jeff rides faster then 60 mph. Plus I know how cold it is at about 20 going over 70 wwwwaaayyyyy tttttooooo ccccooolllllldddddd ttttooooo bbbeeee rrrriiiiddddiiinnnggg.

Don't like riding while I'm shivering and turning blue. Heck I'd end up looking like a frozen smurf. :Laugh:

Margaret

But aren't the smurfs, taller than you???? :stickpoke::rotf::rotf::rotf: