IGNORED

Is there a Chevy mechanic here ?

Hummingbird

I have a 2005 Silverado Z71 - A few days ago I noticed that the Speedo wasn't working. I immediately went to the odometer and it was registering mileage.

The next time I drove the truck, it was working (speedo) then while driving it quit. Since the initial episode I've noticed it starting and stopping with no indication of trouble. It just comes and goes when ever - I'm guessing that the unit is electrical and not mechanical like they used to be -

Anybody have this problem ? or have a solution ?

Thanks

there is a drive motor in the speedo head that failed

gm will warranty this if you ask them as they know they have a problem with them

being a 2005 I would get it to the asap for the first 5 year there is no problem with getting it warranted after that you have to beg

customer pay price for the head and installation and programing is about $800

Probably needs the speedo replaced. We had an 03 GMC That started acting weird. odo seemed to be right but it read 65 and the gps was showing 80. Then it would be alright for a while. Then it would slowly go to 0 even though we were doing 75. Turning off the truck would sometimes fix it. A lot of newer cars have a test. Hold the tripometer while turning on the key. it may start a self test. But I would bet the speedo is junk. It ran a little over 500 at the dealer for ours.

This is most caused by the pick up sensor on the transmission!

This pick up sensor replaces the old speedo drive on the tail-shaft and is called "Vehicle Speed Sensor" or VSS. The VSS sends vehicle speed information to the computer. If the VSS fails, the speedo fails and the automatic transmission will go into "Limp Home Mode" and it will only have 2nd gear to move forward when selector is in 1-2-D-OD.

There are 2 speedo sensors on your truck, if it is 2wd, then it is on the trans and the rear diff, if it is 4wd, it will be on the transfer case and the rear diff. One sensor is read by the computer which allows the trans to still shift, the other is for the speedo head. If either is bad, then they would set a check engine light, if no check engine light, then I suspect that the head unit itself is bad. As stated earlier, there is a known problem with them. Hope it helps.

There are 2 speedo sensors on your truck, if it is 2wd, then it is on the trans and the rear diff, if it is 4wd, it will be on the transfer case and the rear diff. One sensor is read by the computer which allows the trans to still shift, the other is for the speedo head. If either is bad, then they would set a check engine light, if no check engine light, then I suspect that the head unit itself is bad. As stated earlier, there is a known problem with them. Hope it helps.

Excellent new info for my library! I did not know the newer trucks had two speed sensors. What year did they add the second?

Oh crap - I was just getting the small block chevy figured out and now you guys come up with all of this stuff :bang head:

I suppose it makes sense to take it to a trusted mechanic and get things tested. I don't have any warranty left (3 years, 36,000 miles) and I'm pretty sure without a recall the local dealer will not fix it without me getting a second mortgage on the house and that's not going to happen. The last payment is in sight and I'm not going to mess that up.

Thanks Again - :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need one, I can get a 25% discount, or I can find you a used one, however, the used one will be the same problem you already have at some point. I will look up the recalls on alldata and see if there is one.

Oh crap - I was just getting the small block chevy figured out and now you guys come up with all of this stuff :bang head:

I suppose it makes sense to take it to a trusted mechanic and get things tested. I don't have any warranty left (3 years, 36,000 miles) and I'm pretty sure without a recall the local dealer will not fix it without me getting a second mortgage on the house and that's not going to happen. The last payment is in sight and I'm not going to mess that up.

Thanks Again - :thumbsup:

get the vin number and current miles, and call the local gm dealer, there has been a m program, "not a recall "for this concern and they are extending coverage to 100,000 miles and 10 years.

e-mail me your info if the local shop cant help you.. and i will look it up and give you the program number for coverage.

the problem is in the instument cluster only, not in the trans, or any speed sensors

this program coverage is for all the full size gm trucks and yukons, denali, ect... from 02 to 06 i think. and they replace the entire cluster.

mike.

It does not mater that it is out of warranty they know there is a problem and will fix it if asked.

The dealer we use here has no problem replacing it under warranty. I have sent 4 over in the past year.

all were 5-6 years old the oldest had 99,876 miles on it

It does not cost anything to ask your dealer for help on it.

If he turns you down call the zone reps up they will do there best to help you thats what there there for had to do this with the one that was 6 years old

Thanks guys - it's too late to call this evening but tomorrow AM I'll call 'em. I hate to admit it out loud but my nearest dealer hasn't in the past been too happy about warranty work.

The last time I had a problem the service "person" told me there was nothing he could do because there wasn't a recall. It was a problem with the rear u-joint and he flatly refused to do anything and it was still under warranty.

I asked if I did a few neutral power slams and broke it off it I could get it fixed then. Believe it or not, he all of a sudden set up an appointment to fix it. Go figure.

get the vin number and current miles, and call the local gm dealer, there has been a m program, "not a recall "for this concern and they are extending coverage to 100,000 miles and 10 years.

e-mail me your info if the local shop cant help you.. and i will look it up and give you the program number for coverage.

the problem is in the instument cluster only, not in the trans, or any speed sensors

this program coverage is for all the full size gm trucks and yukons, denali, ect... from 02 to 06 i think. and they replace the entire cluster.

mike.

Thanks Mike - if I get no positive response tomorrow, I'll email you.

Hi, I was reading the posts about warrantys. My wife has a 2006 Malibu with the famous steering clunk, They said it is the Intermediate steering shaft making the noise so evidently they know they have a problem, my dealer said its out of warranty can't do anything. Should I call the Zone rep? And how would I get a number? Thanks Ron

"My wife has a 2006 Malibu with the famous steering clunk" I would there should be # in your owners manule. In the 11 years I worked at gm lots of work was done on cars out of warrinty some at no charge, some $100 ded.

It never hurts to ask also if one dealer says no ask another

If the odometer is still working then the speed sensor is still sending. The speed sensor is a simple pulse generator that generates A/C pulses and sends to computer. The computer calculates these pulses and sends the signal to the speedometer head. If the odometer is working it about has to the the speedometer unless there is a bad connection on the plug on the circuit board.

customer assistance toll free number for chevrolet is

800-222-1020

have your vin# and miles before you call

do not use the word (recall) it is not a recall, the word recall will screw up the entire conversation and you will get no place in a hurry.

ask them about the extended coverage or customer goodwill program that covers the intermediate shafts that clunk, some are being replaced and others are being pumped full of grease to make the noise go away for a while, however the case, it is not a safety issue, just a noisey pain in the ear...

mike

Do a search for "GM instrument cluster problems".

You will find information on a class action lawsuit and settlement agreement.

As a last resort, the same search will give you lots of businesses which will repair your instrument cluster with upgraded stepper motors fo $130 to $160. Better than the $800 the dealer wants.

07187C -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

"My wife has a 2006 Malibu with the famous steering clunk" I would there should be # in your owners manule. In the 11 years I worked at gm lots of work was done on cars out of warrinty some at no charge, some $100 ded.

It never hurts to ask also if one dealer says no ask another

I had the steering "clunk" on my 2005 Silverado at 30,000 miles or so - the dealer pumped it full of grease and about a month ago it started annoying me again (60,000 miles) so I bought a new link and had it installed. Cost me $125 for the shaft and labor.

Ok - here's the story from the dealer.

I just spoke to my local GM dealer and they will replace and reprogram the cluster for $105. I guess that's a fair price considering the programming cost is $75.

I do have 72,000 miles on my truck and it falls into the secondary mileage repair. $105 sure beats the heck out of a possible $800 for a new one.

When I called the dealer I was met with a little resistance until I gave him the data sheet # from GM.

Saddlebum - THANK YOU for that info and Thanks to everybody else for the helpful information. This has got to be one of the best groups around !!:thumbsup:

Ok - here's the story from the dealer.

I just spoke to my local GM dealer and they will replace and reprogram the cluster for $105. I guess that's a fair price considering the programming cost is $75.

I do have 72,000 miles on my truck and it falls into the secondary mileage repair. $105 sure beats the heck out of a possible $800 for a new one.

When I called the dealer I was met with a little resistance until I gave him the data sheet # from GM.

Saddlebum - THANK YOU for that info and Thanks to everybody else for the helpful information. This has got to be one of the best groups around !!:thumbsup:

Your Welcome :thumbsup2: