IGNORED

Yamaha D404 vs. Aftermarket D404 tire.

dfitzbiz

I purchased a set of Dunlop D404's for my '99 RSV on Aug. 13, 2007, (should have read the posts on this site!!) prior to my trip to Deadwood, SD. Since then I have traveled 7,000 miles and the rear is worn down the the indicator marks.

I talked with the Service folks a Riders Edge Yamaha in Gettysburg, PA (a dealer that I know and trust). They tell me the D404 provided through the Yamaha Parts system is made of a different compound than the "over the counter/after market" D404 and should last longer.

Does anyone have any input/information about the Yamaha vs. Aftermarket D404?

There must be something to that, because of the wide mileage variation people get out of them. But there's something inconsistent about it too. I once ordered a rear D404 through the dealer, who did not get it from Y but from an aftermarket type source, it might be Tucker Rocky or something like that; I know that because he told me he gets better prices through them. I got 15,000 miles out of that rear tire. At this point that tire is gone, and I run Avons now anyway.

But regarding the original intent of this post, there is a difference in the 404's. I forget his screen name, but there's a fella out of CA who is on a quest for the holy grail behind the "404 scam".

Apparently there's a 150/80B15 and a 150/80HB15 and the HB's are the "good" ones, but it's almost impossible to find them.

I just reread your post, and if I'm reading it correctly, you've ridden over 7000 miles since Aug 13th?

I've worn out 3 sets of 404's. The original black walls and 2 sets of WWW's. I got 14000 miles on the first two sets and 12000 on the last but they would have gone at least another couple of thousand or more. I changed them out because we were heading for the mountains and I wanted fresh rubber.

I'm currently running Avon WWWs but unless the mileage is quit a bit better than the 404s I'll probably be going back to Dunlop. Or I may go with the Avon rear and Dunlop front in order to stay with the WWW. I'm not overly impressed with the smaller front tire at highway speeds.

Guest BluesLover
I may go with the Avon rear and Dunlop front in order to stay with the WWW
As you know Gary, that is the combo that I have on the 06 and I have had no problems with it at all. They now have 20,000 kms on them and the front (the Dunlop) seems to be wearing faster than the Avon on the rear.

I think I will be getting that same combination again while I am in Florida in November.

Cheers.

As you know Gary, that is the combo that I have on the 06 and I have had no problems with it at all. They now have 20,000 kms on them and the front (the Dunlop) seems to be wearing faster than the Avon on the rear.

I think I will be getting that same combination again while I am in Florida in November.

Cheers.

You're my test bed Lou....LOL I'm thinking you might have the best of both worlds. Nice and sticky rear and good handling at hwy. speeds on the front. Maybe the leveling links to help with low speed handling would make it perfect. I know that would be a problem for someone of your stacher though. But I never had much of an issue with low speed handling with the stock size front tire.

But regarding the original intent of this post, there is a difference in the 404's. I forget his screen name, but there's a fella out of CA who is on a quest for the holy grail behind the "404 scam". And that's exactly what it is now. I've talked about this so much, it's starting to get tiresome. Seems like no matter how many times I put the truth about the Dunlop D404 on the web site, hardly anybody sees it, or they just don't believe me. I've been using Dunlop's for as long as I can remember, and never had any problems with them and got 20k out of the front and the rear tire all the time on my 83 Venture, and then it got even better with my 99RSV. And the reason for that, was they made a tire with a hard rubber compound, the one with the "B" in the tire.

Apparently there's a 150/80B16 front and the 150-90B15 rear and a (150/80HB15)I.........I guess you can change that :2cents: worth, to about 20 cents worth, sorry.[/size]

I just reread your post, and if I'm reading it correctly, you've ridden over 7000 miles since Aug 13th?

That's worse than my 8,500 miles I got on my 99RSV, but I ride with a very light wrist. :whistling:

I purchased a set of Dunlop D404's for my '99 RSV on Aug. 13, 2007, (should have read the posts on this site!!) prior to my trip to Deadwood, SD. Since then I have traveled 7,000 miles and the rear is worn down the the indicator marks.

I talked with the Service folks a Riders Edge Yamaha in Gettysburg, PA (a dealer that I know and trust). They tell me the D404 provided through the Yamaha Parts system is made of a different compound than the "over the counter/after market" D404 and should last longer.

Does anyone have any input/information about the Yamaha vs. Aftermarket D404?

Check out post #8. :whistling:

Thanks to all for your input. I will be checking the numbers on my current tire and on the one coming from Yamaha.

Yes, I have ridden 7000 miles since Aug. 13. A trip to Deadwood, SD, 3,800 miles mostly 2 up with luggage. My job requires me to travel most days at least 100 miles on a good day twice that much (what a great job, no we don't have any openings!!).

I also tried a d404 after the brickstone wore out. Put it on July 25th and put on two trips, just over 6000 miles, two up and pulling the shopping cart (trailer) and the tire is shot. I can finish this season, maybe couple hundred miles more, on this tire..........then I'll go for the Avon. I am already planning for this winters "what I'm gonna buy and put on the scoot for spring". I envy those that can ride year round!!!:(:(:(:(:(

Im approaching 4,000 miles on my D404's bought from flat out motorcycle, and they are shot both front and rear. Wear bars showing on rear, and close on the front. Very disappointing mileage, but no issues with handling. The tires are very sticky and I run them at max pressure. I tend to think of the VR as a large and heavy sport tourer and ride it so. The chip seal here in Arkansas, combined with the heat of summer, the very steep, curvy and kinky roads here in the Ozarks, and my riding style destroyed these tires. I even tried to make the rear last by braking mostly with the front. Hate to think what the rear would look like if I hadnt. I will not buy these again. They were inexpensive but should have lasted longer. The local Yamaha dealer warned me it would happen but I was already committed. BTW these are the H's. Thinking of trying the Kenda's next. Gotta do something soon.

i have the kendas , about 4000 miles on them , very little wear on them , a little slick in the rain until i dropped the air down to 34 front , 37 rear any lower than that and they get real sticky , tryed them at 27 and 30 , hit the brakes the bike stopped but i did not , on a 1st gen that hurts :whistling:

Well that confirms it for me. I will try them. Lived in Palm Beach County for many years. Enjoyed riding your area and Daytona, of course. Thanks for the input.

Which Kendas are you running?

I see the price has really dropped, but that's because they decided to make a tire that will only get 6 to 8,000 miles on it. Who wants to pay top dollar for a tire that'll only get 8,000 miles on it. Yes your life is on the line no matter what tire you get, but I'll still be looking for a tire that gets close to the 24,000 miles I use to get with the Dunlop D404.:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I had my new tire, ordered via the Yamaha Parts System, mounted at Riders Edge Yamaha in Gettysburg, PA yesterday. The numbers on the new tire are 150/90B-15 MC 74H the tire that was worn out in 7,000 miles was a 150/90-15 MC 74H. It will take a few months to see if the "B" tire out lasts the "Non-B". Average tread deapth is .35", I will keep the forum posted on tire wear.