IGNORED

Northern Virginia - Wiring RSV for towing trailer

Gamecock

For the Northern VA guys on here, does anyone know of someone that could wire my 04 RSV for the purpose of pulling my HF Trailer? I am going to install the Venturedad hitch myself, but am too much of a chicken to try the lights wiring.

I am not looking to do it until after Christmas, but would like to go ahead and plan to have it done. Thanks

Ben

Bryan,

Sounds like a weekend ride, right? Yeah, I am sure someone knows someone that could do it. I don't do electricity, therefore I will not touch any wires on the bike. I have contacted the local Uhaul and Leonard, and am waiting on a quote. I'd rather pay someone from here to do it before them though.

Ben

Got any pointers or wanna share what equipment you used to do yours so that I can have it ready?

Bryan,

Sounds like a weekend ride, right? Yeah, I am sure someone knows someone that could do it. I don't do electricity, therefore I will not touch any wires on the bike. I have contacted the local Uhaul and Leonard, and am waiting on a quote. I'd rather pay someone from here to do it before them though.

Ben

Got any pointers or wanna share what equipment you used to do yours so that I can have it ready?

At the back of the RSV the colors are as follows:

Dark green is the right turn signal.

Dark brown is the left turn signal.

Blue is the tail light.

Yellow is the brake light.(Well yellow doesn't show up well but you get the picture)

Black is ground.

(You will need to change a wire here or there to get the proper lights to work but this will give you an idea as to what is where NOW and make the change easier. As you can see green is the only wire that is for the correct light "right turn").

US trailer wiring specs as follows:

4 way flat molded connectors allow basic hookup for three lighting functions; right turn signal / stop light (green), left turn signal / stop light (yellow), taillight / license / side marker (brown) and a ground (white).

5 Way Systems

Same as 4 way system listed above but adds a extra blue wire for brake signal or auxiliary power. Used on pop up camper trailers or utility / boat trailers.

6 Way System, Rectangle Plug

3/4 inch by 1 inch 6 way rectangle connectors right turn signal (green), left turn signal (yellow), taillight (brown), ground (white). The red and blue wire can be used for brake control or auxiliary. Use on a small motorcycle trailer, snowmobile trailer or utility trailer.

6 Way Systems, Round Plug

Round 1 1/4" diameter metal connector allows 1 or 2 additional wiring and lighting functions such as back up lights, auxiliary 12v power or electric brakes. Note: The black (sometimes red) 12v and blue electric brakes wire may need to be reversed to suit the trailer. Check with a test light or VOM. Uses: horse trailer, travel trailers, landscaping trailer, car trailer, etc.

7 Way Systems

Round 2" diameter connector allows additional pin for auxiliary 12 volt power or backup lights. Uses: heavy duty landscaping trailer, car trailer, boat trailers, horse trailer, travel trailer, construction trailer, etc. Check with a test light or VOM.

Ben,

Do yourself a favor and buy a modulite brake light controller. The Harbor freight is a 4 flat connector, the bikes system is setup with 5 wires. The modulite is designed to make 5 wires systems into 4. They aren't that bad to install, I just rewired Tom in Blancos system on his RSV.

I'd love to come and help, but your a long ways away. It's not terribly hard but just a bit time consuming. Iffin you want to come to Texas (or somewhere inbetween) I would be more than happy to wire it for free :)

First off, thanks for the replies. Bryan, I think you just intimidated me :)! That looks like Chinese to this mechanically uninclined southern boy!

Squid, I did a google search for the product you reccommended. Is this the correct part? http://www.trailerhitches.com/electrical-&-brake-control/electrical-&-wiring/modulitetrailerlightpowermodule119146.cfm?source=gbase&gbid=ModuLite_Trailer_Light_Power_Module_119146&TID=CE1152 If so, I will order it and have half the battle won. Now just gotta do the install. If it's the wrong product, would you mind posting a link to the correct one?

Thanks again!

Ben

Hey Gamecock (Ben,this screen name cracks me up):whistling:

Check with Venturing Sole he has done it on His bike. :happy34:

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=2003]VentureRider.Org[/ame]

But don't let him turn your bike around:stirthepot::rotf:

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43498]Battlescar Gigantica - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

I'm missing something here?!? Do I really want to know?

What's wrong with the game? It's a tribute to 2 of my favorite things: The University of South Carolina and Revolutionary War Gen. Thomas Sumter (The Fighting Gamecock).

I'll shoot Venturing Sole a PM and see if he can help me out.

Ben

I'm missing something here?!? Do I really want to know?

You should have been in SC for the M&E and you wouldn't be missing out:buttkick:

What's wrong with the game? It's a tribute to 2 of my favorite things: The University of South Carolina and Revolutionary War Gen. Thomas Sumter (The Fighting Gamecock).

My mind is in the gutter again:confused07::whistling::confused24:

I'll shoot Venturing Sole a PM and see if he can help me out.

do that let me know if and when you guys hook up i'll bring the wine and a Corkscrew!

Ben

See above

Anytime you type those two letters (SC), you're touching my heart. I figured "Longing_4_South_Carolina" was a little over the top. What the H*** was I thinking?

I PMed him and we'll see what he says. I'll make sure to let you know if and when we get together. Shoot, if he will do it, I'll buy him a whole case of wine. I'd rather pay someone from here vice Uhaul or Leonards.

Ben

Hey Gamecock (Ben,this screen name cracks me up):whistling:

Check with Venturing Sole he has done it on His bike. :happy34:

VentureRider.Org

But don't let him turn your bike around:stirthepot::rotf:

Battlescar Gigantica - VentureRider.Org

Allright Riverdance. Geez, give a wino a break (by the way, still not sure if I saw a leak on your bike :stirthepot:. But hang on, I'm still ironing the bus tracks out of my clothes. And Sleeperhawk...there goes that housewarming gift I was going to bring down next time.

Back on topic - I sent a PM to Gamecock setting him straight that I don't have trailer wiring on my bike (yet). If we could figure out how to get Brad to migrate toward the right coast instead of toward the left coast, we be sitting pretty. :scratchchin:

Id

Slow night at work, I have read the threads on doing this about 3 times and keep getting more and more confused.

I may know the gist of it, but am too much of a chicken to try it. I hope Squidley replies to my email about the correct part; relay and isolator. If he does, I will get it and pay Uhaul or Leonard to do it if I have to.

I hope this doesn't become a pain.

Ben

Slow night at work, I have read the threads on doing this about 3 times and keep getting more and more confused.

I may know the gist of it, but am too much of a chicken to try it. I hope Squidley replies to my email about the correct part; relay and isolator. If he does, I will get it and pay Uhaul or Leonard to do it if I have to.

I hope this doesn't become a pain.

Ben

You got a PM Ben, and iffin we could find someone say in Alabama or there abouts I would be happy to shoot east and do both the bikes. Lets see how it plays out and perhaps we can have a trailer light M&E somewhere in the middle

:happy34:

SUCCESS!!!!!! I talked to Leonard's down in Fredricksburg, VA and they have a man that wires bikes. I bring the parts, he puts them on for $55.00. I think that's a pretty decent price.

Squidley, thanks for the offer to meet in Alabama. I don't know when I'd have a chance to do that. I'd still like to look at the Hoppy converter if you get a chance to pull the part number. I will go with that or the modulite that you recommended.

Thanks for all the help guys, this is truely the best site on the internet!

Ben

Read this thread. IMHO, it is well worth the $ spent. Complete plug and play system for the RSV. I don't have the part number for the adaptor but if you call them, I am sure they can get you everything you need

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38689]Plun N Play isolation module or 2nd gens - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

I decided on the below. It will be here on Tuesday.

Amazon currenty has the Hopkins at a pretty good price.

Hopkins 48925 Tail Light Converter (74") W/Taped 4Wire Flat Extension

List Price:$19.99 Price:$15.90 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48925-Light-Converter-Extension/dp/B0002Q81XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261202666&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Hopkins 48925 Tail Light Converter (74") W/Taped 4Wire Flat Extension: Electronics[/ame]

If you order a lot of stuff from Amazon, Prime is a great program. Unlimited 2 day shipping for 12 months for $80. I have more than got my money back this year. If you buy DIRECT from Amazon, the customer service quality is awesome! I have never had a bad experience with Amamzon.

Ben

Thanks for all the help guys!