IGNORED

Red Wing Boots

juggler

I've been a member here only a short time and I'm surprised how many thread topics are near and dear. If you take a look at the upper right corner of my post you see why this one interests me.

I have a friend that is an executive with Red Wing Shoes (us locals just call it "the shoe"). Infact, many of my riding friends are employees of the shoe. The motorcycle line was in fact created to compete with the H-D branded boots. Those H-D boots are made in China for Wolverine, Michigan company. Funny thing about it is that both brands of boots roll (or is that walk) off the same assembly floor. Draw your own conclusion whether one is better than the other.

I wear RW 979s when I ride. I have now for over 2 years. They're just as comfortable today as they were when new and that is VERY comfortable. The vibram soles are made from a softer grade of rubber that really cushions foot impact on hard surfaces. The only real signs of wear are on the soles and some minor scuffing on the leather that can be dealt with by using polish or other leather care stuff.

I also wear RW 965 steel-toes on the job. They are a great boot too. They have the same cushy vibram sole as the 979s. I got these because my job gives me an allowance of $100 for safety shoes. I absolutely hate wearing safety shoes, but it's better than broken feet.

If you keep 'em mink oiled, wet and muddy conditions won't destroy them nearly as fast as if you don't take care of them. The soles aren't going to come apart from the upper just because of a little water. They're sewn together.

Another thing that keeps shoes alive is having them fit by a shoe professional at a shoe store. If the shoe fits your foot correctly it will bend in the right place and work as designed.

In case you were wondering, I don't get a sweetheart deal on Red Wings. I pay full price for my non-safety boots.

-- Rick

AKA 924gtr

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

This thread has been dead for quite a while and this post just might bury it.:2143:

Red Wing is pretty much out of the motorcycle boot business. Apparently it just wasn't profitable.

Any RW motorcycle boots you find out there now will likely be closeouts. If there's a RW boot model you're particularly fond of, you might just want to rush out and find a RW store and look for them at a closeout price before they're all gone.

Hi All,

This thread has been dead for quite a while and this post just might bury it.:2143:

Red Wing is pretty much out of the motorcycle boot business. Apparently it just wasn't profitable.

Any RW motorcycle boots you find out there now will likely be closeouts. If there's a RW boot model you're particularly fond of, you might just want to rush out and find a RW store and look for them at a closeout price before they're all gone.

my local redwing dealer is a true shoe/boot cobler and after i purchased the last 3 pair of the zipper style motorcycle boots to be found in the free world///they came from stores in Oregon, Ohio, and Kentucky... he did tell me that after i wear them out, that he would be glad to install zippers into the sides of any other boots that i might find to fit me.

however i should be set for several years.

wow this is an old thread!!:think:

I wear Danners , they are toughest boot I have ever found, The acadia is my choice but I also have their fire rated boot with the logger heels, and like them both.

Redwings let me down on the with their boots bought for the job the last 2 pairs I bought sucked bad the quality of their boots really went down hill.