IGNORED

Red Wing Boots

juggler

ARe the RedWings waterproof? I hate getting wet feet in the rain. Treated my current boots with stuff from Cabela's and it didn't make a difference.

Mink oil. Put the stuff on once or twice per season and my feet stay dry even during the all day long rainy :rain2: interstate rides.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wil,

Red Wing Shoe Company operates 3 U.S. manufacturing plants located in Red Wing, Minnesota, Potosi, Missouri and Danville, Kentucky. We employ over 1,000 skilled craftsmen. We also own and operate our own tannery in Red Wing, with a workforce of 170. Annually our plants manufacture over two million pairs of work boots. In the last year our domestic work force increased by 6 %. We think that’s a very positive trend given the overall continued decline of U.S. manufacturing jobs.

Red Wing Shoe Company is one of a handful of companies still making shoes in the U.S. The domestic footwear industry has dwindled to this point because consumers have voted with their wallets for lower cost imported shoes. Today 98.5% of all footwear purchased in the United States is manufactured off-shore. Consequently, manufacturing shoes domestically is a lot harder, as the domestic businesses that provide our industry with materials disappear. As an example, this year one of our suppliers of steel toe caps went out of business. They were forced to close because the domestic demand for their product wasn’t sufficient to keep them operating profitably.

Unfortunately our 3 U.S. plants cannot completely satisfy the demand for all styles and prices of work footwear. As an example, today’s younger consumer demands an athletic type shoe at a low price. This style of footwear cannot be competitively manufactured in our domestic plants. So we source these products offshore. We design them. We test their performance to insure they live up to the Red Wing quality standards. We hope that by providing these young workers shoes they desire today, we can someday move them into our premium Made In USA footwear products. Their fathers and grandfathers wore Red Wings. We would like to keep them and future generations wearing our brand.

Again we thank you for contacting us and trust this explanation reinforces your belief that Red Wing is committed to making footwear in the U.S.

Sincerely,

Matt Streiff

Red Wing Brands of America

1-800-733-9464

matt.streiff@redwingshoe.com

Guest KitCarson

So there you go.......parts made in China, shipped to the USA and tested by you the buyer:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot::stirthepot: I never liked Red Wing shoes anyway.........everyone always told me how good they were, the two pair I have had hurt my feet.

Guest KitCarson
So who makes a good boot other than Redwing that is a pull on and comes in a size 14?

Use large shrink wrap tubing and heat it up with a hair dryer:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::big-grin-emoticon::sign20::bighug:

Guest KitCarson
Sounds like a good idea but it might be hard to get off?

Try looking at Danner shoes. They are expensive.........boy howdy...not all that more than redwings....but a good shoe and hand made, you can even trace your foot and they will make a pair to fit.

So who makes a good boot other than Redwing that is a pull on and comes in a size 14?

I've got a pair of Sidi motorcycle boots that would fit ya! I wear a 12 and these are big on me. Think They're a size 48 European. They do have a side zipper though. They are waterproof. If you're interested, I can make you a good deal on'em!

Paul

P.S. Essentially new, I bought'em and found out quick they're too big for me.

Nothing like kicking a company that is trying to sell US made goods.

I understood the reply, they employ lots of US workers, make shoes in the US of US made parts IF they are available. They also have some made offshore.

I thought it was a good response. Don't see a reason to put them down for it.

I am wearing US made boots bought at Farm and Fleet. They are pretty good shoes, at a fair price.

Don

Red Wing has steadily gone downhill the past few years. Starting with their "motorcycle" line which was finally produced to compete with Harley Davidson boots, not exactly a high standard to begin with. Made in USA or Hanoi doesn't really make a difference here. The boots are lightweight mass market junk put into the marketplace for a quick buck. A fact confirmed during lunch with one of their sales reps. Sadly Red Wing was a legitimate brand years ago. Last remnants of that period can be found within their regular work line which contains some models that are more stout and roadworthy.

Another tip: If possible it's best to avoid laceups since they restrict ankle movement. A quality non-lace modern boot, even a traditional style, should stay on your feet and provide flexibility where you need it.

"If you want clean oats

pay a fair price.

If you want oats

that have already been

through the horse,

pay less."

Trophy Mike

And that's the exact reason why I wear lace-ups.

13EE style 3508

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1255

No kidding - I need ankle support. My ankles are poorly engineered and have a nasty tendency to roll and twist. I had stainless steel reenforcement added to the left ankle about 10 years ago after it twisted too far an broke.

I am always tightening up the laces for added support.

Nothing like kicking a company that is trying to sell US made goods.

I understood the reply, they employ lots of US workers, make shoes in the US of US made parts IF they are available. They also have some made offshore.

I thought it was a good response. Don't see a reason to put them down for it.

I am wearing US made boots bought at Farm and Fleet. They are pretty good shoes, at a fair price.

Don

I'm not sure where I stand on Red Wing shoes now. I'm still tempted to write back and tell them that having China make their biker boots might not be the best idea. I mean there is a certain amount of American loyalty to bikers. Then of course we all ride Yamaha.:think: Still, the letter also says that they blame the demand for cheaper shoes as the reason for having some made in China. Cheaper? I paid $120 for these boots. That's not cheap! And the first pair had to be replaced by them because the side zipper broke.

I'm not sure where I stand on Red Wing shoes now. I'm still tempted to write back and tell them that having China make their biker boots might not be the best idea. I mean there is a certain amount of American loyalty to bikers. Then of course we all ride Yamaha.:think: Still, the letter also says that they blame the demand for cheaper shoes as the reason for having some made in China. Cheaper? I paid $120 for these boots. That's not cheap! And the first pair had to be replaced by them because the side zipper broke.

If they're real leather, then 120 is a decent price considering my Red Wings cost $220. I also wear these same boots on the bike.

I paid $120 for a pair of Chippewa steel toe engineer boots 20 years ago. Today, they'd be $320 if they weren't made in China.

Usually, my boots are US military desert boots, or the old black GI boots; when I'm in the office I have two pairs of high top cowboy style boots, black & brown. Also have a pair of steel toes for construction site work, and a pair of hiking boots for colder weather. I've been know to wear my steel toe rubber boots riding in the rain.

I paid $120 for a pair of Chippewa steel toe engineer boots 20 years ago. Today, they'd be $320 if they weren't made in China.

I got 2 pair of Canada West, steel toe boots in Oct, model #6244. These are similar to the engineer style, but without the cross strap. These are made in Winnipeg & cost me $119. + gst, per pair.

Guest KitCarson

Those boots!!! I have been in construction all my life.....I have heard many opinions about boots......everyone has a favorite. All have much support and loyal following.........thing is give Kit a Danner, a Redwing, or any other expensive so called good boot and I can assure you in the period of 4 to six months it is a goner. The soles will be off, held on with duct tape, several of the lace eyes broken off.......cuts in the toe.......they just plain are not worth it.I am the one who does the work......I am not the one who stands beside the ditch and says.......do this!!!

So all of you want a good boot? One that lasts just a long as these $200 dollar plus wonder boots? It is light, waterproof, twice a comfortable as any of the big name ones.....lasts me the same amount of time.......and I pay $39.95 for them!! I was amazed myself.

Go to Walmarts and they will have a boot produced by Herman Survivor.......it is called the Commander......good boot folks.........and better price. It will last just as long as any Big Name Brand.......Yep it is made somewhere else, not the USA........but hey I ride a Yamaha!! So..........???

HAY KIT , your just as cheap as i am i have had a pair of them for 2 years and can not tear them up , even had them in salt water , tranny fluid and gas , can't hurt them . i do not use them for riding , to short , i use pull ons 12 in Cords , water proof and oil proof , they have big nails in the heels and work on the traffic lite sencsers , i just put my foot down on the cut line in the pavement the lite changes , works great .

Guest KitCarson
HAY KIT , your just as cheap as i am i have had a pair of them for 2 years and can not tear them up , even had them in salt water , tranny fluid and gas , can't hurt them . i do not use them for riding , to short , i use pull ons 12 in Cords , water proof and oil proof , they have big nails in the heels and work on the traffic lite sencsers , i just put my foot down on the cut line in the pavement the lite changes , works great .
That is the first thing I do with a new pair of riding boots....cut off four sixteen penny nails and drive them into the heel of my left boot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ankle flex - our last post mentioned ankle flexibility compromised in lace-up boots especially when cinched properly tight. We're talking here about ability to shift readily up and down. Quality non-lace boots provide that without allowing lateral flexing (side to side) motion which you don't want and can be injurious.

Steel toes - not required or recommended. The function of steel toes are to protect against the vertical dropping of weight and impact force. In a motorcycle mishap there can be much in the way of twisting and torsional forces which can dislodge the steel causing more harm than good. This is even more likely when steel toes are utilized in an otherwise cheaply made boot. Better to go with a harder heavier leather at the toe than this.

Trophy Mike

Guest KitCarson
Ankle flex - our last post mentioned ankle flexibility compromised in lace-up boots especially when cinched properly tight. We're talking here about ability to shift readily up and down. Quality non-lace boots provide that without allowing lateral flexing (side to side) motion which you don't want and can be injurious.

Steel toes - not required or recommended. The function of steel toes are to protect against the vertical dropping of weight and impact force. In a motorcycle mishap there can be much in the way of twisting and torsional forces which can dislodge the steel causing more harm than good. This is even more likely when steel toes are utilized in an otherwise cheaply made boot. Better to go with a harder heavier leather at the toe than this.

Trophy Mike

Good One!! You are messing with us right??? Bo..you get in a crash bad enough to twist steel toes out of a boot........you will not care if they are slip on or lace up!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::thumbsup:

There is one great feature about steel-toed boots.....When you have to plant yer boot to the posterior of a doofus who deserves it the boot does prevent bruising of yer delicate toes. Nuff said......:rotf:

Or as I have found out last year, sliding down the highway to a stop, front side down.