IGNORED

Venture Royale rear brakes

I have an 85 Venture Royale I am having trouble with the rear brake. The calipers seem to be fine, but no matter how many times I pump the brake pedal I can get a hard pedal and the brakes to work. I have bleed the brakes thoroughly, but no stiff pedal or breaks. Don't see any leaks. Would this be the rear master cylinder? Thanks for any tips.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21537]Reverse bleeding? - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15245

Look at threads above for bleeding ideas.

Also remember the anti dive valve on front end.

Bleeding the rear brake on these bikes will will give you gray hair.

I could be wrong on this next one, but I don't think an 85 had the bleeder by the top of the fork. I think this started with the 86 model.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added 2nd thread

I could be wrong on this next one, but I don't think an 85 had the bleeder by the top of the fork. I think this started with the 86 model.

Gary

Correct, a line fitting is loosened & re-tightened at the high point, until the air is out of there.... A real PITA, it is a bit easier to do, with all the right side fairing plastic off, for access.......

:080402gudl_prv:

Gary

You would be correct on this one, sir.

The 83-85's are a PIA to bleed, start with the front caliper, then the anti-dive, THEN do the rear caliper.

If you want REALLY good brakes, go with the stainless steel lines, switch out your forks to 86 & up and go with the R1/R6 calipers and bigger master cylinder. You could also de-link the front to the rear and use an early VMax brake line set to connect the fronts. Good winter projects.

Dan

I have an 85 Venture Royale I am having trouble with the rear brake. The calipers seem to be fine, but no matter how many times I pump the brake pedal I can get a hard pedal and the brakes to work. I have bleed the brakes thoroughly, but no stiff pedal or breaks. Don't see any leaks. Would this be the rear master cylinder? Thanks for any tips.

When was the last time the rear caliper was rebuilt?

You may already know this but in case you do not, the rear brake is linked to the left front rotor also and there is another bleeder point by the top of the right front fork.
I better go look for that bleeder!! Just cleaned out the rear brake caliper and bled the whole system, I'll bet there is still air!