IGNORED

Looking for pics of black and silver 1st gens

Planning to paint my 84 this winter and am considering a silver and black combination. Anyone with this combination or other non factory 2 tones willing or able to post pictures?

I have a friend who's son is apprenticing in auto body and is looking for projects plus I painted mine a few years ago and it was a quick and dirty job. I have seen some of his work and he is getting pretty good at painting. I will have to do some tab and crack repair also. Here's a before and after of my current paint job, the gold is a Nissan colour.

I'm currently repainting my '89 VR and I'm doing it myself. Here is a pic of the front fender to give you an idea of the colors I chose.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/warthogcrewchief/100_0782.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/warthogcrewchief/100_0828.jpg

Edited by warthogcrewchief

Why would Yammer like those colors?

My bike was originally the two-tone blue. It was faded, peeling and had some shotty plastic repair and bad touch up paint spots...so, since I bought her as a rebuild, I thought I'd go ahead and give her a new look while keeping a similar paint scheme.

I almost decided to go with a BRIGHT solid red and put a yellow Ferrari emblem painted onto each side of the front fairings. My better judgment prevented me from doing that. A touring bike should look good, but not like a sport bike. :thumbsup2:

PEIslander,

If you're unsure of the color combination, like I was, have a small piece test painted to see if you like it. What I did was paint the cross-over piece that connects the two lower fairing pieces just in front of the bottom "chin" piece. It's small, so it won't require much paint or prep work.

I tested two different color combos on that and I decided I liked the blue/silver combo.

After that, I decided I wanted gold trim...but thought it might need an additional color in the trim. I also got red trim. Both trim tapes had two lines.

I had a scrap piece of plastic (or you could use metal) I had painted, and practiced with different combinations of the trim tape until I found the one I liked. I used both gold lines with the thick red line in between. I went through about 3 or 4 different combinations until I found the right color combo.

Instead of having your friend paint the practice piece, you can do it yourself. Just spray the primer, and prep it correctly (400 grit sandpaper works well for this) and just practice with some rattle-can paint that will be close to the color combo you want.

Since you're not sure if you want gold/black or silver/black, paint all three onto one piece. GOLD/BLACK/SILVER. Remember to paint the lightest color first as the darker colors would bleed through a lighter top coat.