IGNORED

Good by ventures

It is nice that your dealer speaks to you.

No one, and i mean no one acknowledges your presence when you walk into the Yamaha place in Lake Charles, Louisiana. I have been there 3 times. each time no one even gave me a glance. i had to tap the monitor of the computer the parts "Dude" was looking at to get his attention so i could spend some money.

they say the third times the charm. i won't go back in there unless i just have to. the sad thing is - that i was told that's how they are. Seeing is believing. His inventory had signs on them - Do Not Sit On The Bikes.

How is that for selling? i guess you have to buy something to see if you like how it feels.

No RSV's in stock either.

So, I don't put any faith in dealer's. all they want is you to buy something. No building of rapor or just come by & drink some coffee. unless you are a personal friend of theirs. then they want you (as the personal close buddy) to buy the great deal they just ripped some other customer off from.

I know what you're saying, Dale. The local dealer is pretty good as far as his people greeting and at least acknowledging you but don't expect a deal by any means.

The one in Hattiesburg is huge and still growing but his employees spend more time standing around and talking to each other than trying to help a customer. And definitely no deals there. I feel lucky that I can do most repairs or maintenance myself and I don't ever expect to buy another bike from a dealer, new or used. There are too many great deals out there on 2-4 year old bikes.

No disrespect meant but for the 100th time, dealers are not told by yamaha what they are going to do until the current year model in introduced. Someone on this site posted they called yamaha and was told they were going to be surprised with the new 09 models. Nothing happened. I talked to a retired dealer that has no reason not to tell it like it is and he said yamaha is tight lipped about new models and doesn't discuss them with anyone until the day they are introduced and he also said they don't listen or care what dealers say. The guys with the star exhibit don't know either.

I've found the Detroit area dealers to be VERY friendly and helpful. The people at Metro Power Sports in Pontiac go out of there way to help and a couple of the other dealers I've visited are equally friendly. One told me that he just can't sell Ventures so he doesn't stock them--he thinks it's the area he services and he says he has a young customer base that either can't afford or aren't interested in the RSV. One dealer said he has a couple of 2010s coming in the Spring. I wanted to look at a FJR 1300 he had in stock and he spend a considerable amount of time talking me out of the bike, saying that he didn't think it would be right for me. What more can you ask of a dealer?

Around here it's the Harley dealers who think they own the world even though their sales are down more than 30%. I'm a photographer and I have a little niche in motorcycle portraiture (http://www.marvsphoto.com) I try to get dealers to work with me on cross promotions and the Harley guys won't even talk to me.

No disrespect meant but for the 100th time, dealers are not told by yamaha what they are going to do until the current year model in introduced. Someone on this site posted they called yamaha and was told they were going to be surprised with the new 09 models. Nothing happened.

that was the purprise

That is interesting considering the fact that the 2010 line was introduced not too long ago... :think:

so I got the year wrong?

the reps, said they are working on introducing the NEW Touring bike.

for the reason, of lack of warranty repairs.

it will not have a 5 year warranty, as the Venture did.

so I got the year wrong?

My apologies if you took that the wrong way; my thought process led me back to a few months ago when I went into my local [yamaha] dealer looking to order a rectifier. I got talking with the parts guy I told him what I wanted, he asked why - and I described what happend, my tests etcetera. My CB came up and he asked what kindof CB I had on the bike. I told him it was the one that came standard with the venture. The guy insisted that Yamaha did not sell a bike with a CB on it. He called another parts guy over and kindof laughed when he asked him and the other guy looked at me, straight face and all and said "No bike that Yamaha sells comes with a CB radio on it - the one you have must have been added after the original purcahcer got the bike". At this point I was ticked off enough that I invited them to come look at the brand new Venture they had on the showroom floor and pointed out the CB button and the unit under the trunk. Their response was: "[The black box under the trunk] is the radio receiver; and the CB button is there for the easy installlation of an aftermarket unit".

At this point I was ticked and completely baffeled at the same time. I just simply could not believe that these folks were standing there telling me this. To make it worse, I asked about the 'second' [CB] antenna and they said that was there to plug into the aftermarket system.

At this point I was no longer dumbfounded by their responses and more ticked off. When we got the key and I turned ON the CB, the parts guys told me that the floor model had the 'optional' CB put in - and it was extra $$$.

My point being, it would not have surprised me if a dealer told you that the 2009 were the last ones even though the 2010's have been released.

So again, I was not 'taking a shot' at you or anything, it was purely motivated by my experience with my dealer - and me imagining what they would say if I asked them about the upcoming Venture.

the reps, said they are working on introducing the NEW Touring bike.

for the reason, of lack of warranty repairs.

it will not have a 5 year warranty, as the Venture did.

This just doesn't make any sense. :stickpoke:

Why would Mother Yamaha discontinue a feature, the 5 year warranty, that (according to this source) cost them little because of lack of claims......yet is an excellent selling point.

The rep may be right. The Mother Ship most likely is and has been working on introducing a new touring bike. That doesn't mean they are done working on it. :think:

The fact is, that very few bikes remain in production, totally unchanged, for ten years or more. That alone signals the imminent demise of the scooter we all know and love. :crying: