For those of you that have replaced your tall(OEM) windshield with a shorter one, have you noticed any difference in the way the bike handles? By that I mean, does it reduce the buffeting effect? Can you tell a difference at high speed(in excess of 80 mph)? What type did you get to replace the OEM? Just your general thoughts. I'd like to know because I'm thinking of replacing mine in the near future.

I've got several 1st gens, and I've cut the windshield down by nearly a whole foot! I HATE tall windshields...but that's just my own opinion. (I know there's another thread about this somewhere out there.)

The wind hits me right at the top of my head, which (to me) is perfect! I can see over it beautifully, and if the weather gets that bad, there's still enough there to hide behind...(but I never do).

This summer on our road trip through Southern Utah, we had 70mph sidewinds...which did suck, but they wouldda blown anybody on a bike around.

I've got the Yamaha low wide windshield, and prefer it over the stock windshield. I can see over it when needed, it provides great wind protection, and (imo) it looks better. I was concerned about my wife getting a wind blast as a passenger with the shorter shield, but she says there is none. I think the fact that it's wider has a lot to do with the good wind protection.

I cut the stock tall one down to 17" above the gas cap base, just below my eye level and the wind buffeting is bad. As a matter of fact, so bad that tomorrow I expect delivery of my 19" Clearview shield for which I'm expecting better results based on conversation with Clearview.

Tell ya what I'll do, if you want to try my stock cut down shield, PM me and I'll ship it to ya (but I want it back :) )

Mine has the Clearview 19" and I've never ridden with the stock one. I would say there is definitely no buffeting and I've asked the wife about buffeting on her helmet and she says she doesn't feel any. The way I sit I really need to trim it about 1.5" because I'm usually looking straight at or just slightly below the top edge.

By the way, if anyone orders a Clearview... get the vent! I didn't think it made that much difference but the first cold day that I rode I closed the vent and had cold air coming around the edges and swirling right on me. When I opened the vent the cold air was gone. It's a warmer ride in cold weather with the vent open!

I cut 5" off of my stock '85 VR windscreen. It is now a couple of inches below my eyes. The wind noise and buffeting increased significantly for me and mildly for my wife. Although it looks better now, I will probably be replacing it with a stock windscreen for the winter months.

I have the XXtall Clearview..Have to have it as wife cant handle wind buffeting. Id rather see over the top but I understand her needs. Now as far as Buffeting,specifically over 80..not a problem and we have HIGH winds here..Coming back from Big Bend I hit 117 MPH (By GPS) and it handled like a dream..I know Im crazy to run that speed but you shoulda been there. Just stating the fact that no buffeting other than what to be expected at that speed. Tom

I run the Show Chrome short and love it. If I didn't know better I would go as far as stating that my bike seems to handle better as it is not catching as much wind.

I do believe it does cause "a little" additional buffeting for the passenger. It about has to under certain circumstances.

My :2cents: worth

I have the Clearview, large (or tall).. not sure what it is called, maybe it is the 19 inch? Anyway, I can just see over the top by about and inch and half. I wanted this because I didn't like looking through the rain with the stock shield. The clearview is also 2 inches wider each side, has a very unique "warp" shape, and the vent. I definitely had a significant reduction in buffeting on the top of my helmet with the clearview. I agree with previous post that having the vent open slightly improves the wind performance. There is less turbulence around the edges and a smoother, quieter ride with the vent open slightly. It also does a nice job of slicing bugs... but that's another story.

I am happy with the clearview with vent.

If ya wanna experience TURBULANCE, ride an FJR....Mine was AWFUL!!! Worst bike for windnoise/turbulance I've EVER owned, and I've ridden 'em since '68. The stock Venture was so much quieter/calmer I could not believe it!! I've now added a Yamaha with the extra 2" on each side and I like it a lot. The stock shield, cut down for summer by about 3" is noiser than stock, but not bothersome (to me at least).

I have the short/ wide show chrome and I love it. my wife say's she can't tell the difference. I feel it riding one-up pushing on my back strangely enough but not a problem at all. My bike seems to cut right through the wind w/ the shorter/ wider screen. I am 5'6'' and can look over with relative ease; "stop slouching" as my wife puts it. :thumbsup:

Mine has the Clearview 19" and I've never ridden with the stock one. I would say there is definitely no buffeting and I've asked the wife about buffeting on her helmet and she says she doesn't feel any. The way I sit I really need to trim it about 1.5" because I'm usually looking straight at or just slightly below the top edge.

I dont get it! Today my Clearview 19" showed up. Popped it on and Im looking through the the top 2" of the shield. Hit the road and the buffeting I was hoping to clear is only slightly better. Any advice?

Kirby

We can get together one day, and you can ride mine to see if you like the show chrome, I hated the wide tall, but everyone has different opinion on what they like.

Just PM or call me. we can meet up in Abbeville, thats about half way.

Gregg

I took an old one that was pretty bad any way and cut it down to about 8" and painted it flat black , just to see what it would look like, looks pretty tough. now its nothing more than a short deflector. now Im thinking the whole bike may look good stealth. if it don't shine paint it black. A lot of new bikes are going with that look. I like it.