IGNORED

Why this site is great - with pictures

WIKD

There are many reasons I like this site besides just the great people that are here. Although that is the #1 reason. But lets look at a few more.

• On this site I found out that modifying a Road King muffler would give me a throatier sounding exhaust. By the way mufflers were free.
  • On this site I found out which clamp would make my new mufflers look like factory replacements, along with part numbers.
  • On this site I found detailed instructions on how to modify the mufflers and even diagrams on how to build the mounts. I modified my mounts a little but they worked perfect.
  • On this site I found directions on how to remove the front fairing to grease the connectors and prevent problems.
  • While the fairing is apart I found out how to wire in some aux lines for my MP3 player and GPS including part numbers, again on this site.

Now while I had the bike apart I was also able to correct the one problem I see with my RSV. It has WAY to much chrome on it for my liking so that had to go. Headlight bezel, windshield trim, front fork protectors, front and rear blinkers, rear tail light bezel and license plate bracket, front and rear fender trim and the carriage for the trunk and side bags were all blacked out. The motor area being dechromed is next. So here is my slightly darker black cherry RSV with the RK mufflers and clamps and all the wiring for the MP# and GPS. Thanks for all the great info I've found, and will continue to find and pass along in the future.

I, like you am not a big fan of chrome, the bike looks great, thats one reason I like my 1st gen, not a lot of chrome on it and my new bike V Star 1300 is pretty much the same, not a whole lot of chrome and there will be less when I change out the exhaust system and go with a black system..........the only chrome left will be the windshield mounts and the handlebars, and the headlight ring.............

Would like to see some close ups of your bike if possible............

Guest Wiltman33

I love the look of your black windshield trim and headlight rim...now I'd love to do the same. Could you share with us what you used to black them out? Thanks!

I can't wait to do it!

Dave

Blacking out chrome is a federal crime well it should be any way. You should seek professional help for that disorder. The bike can still be saved by adding lots of chrome accessory's.:crying:

There are those I ride with that would definitely agree with you. I have been told I'm mentally deficient but that doesn't stop me. I'm just getting started.

Dave it was real easy. I was going to powdercoat the metal but since some of it was metal and some plastic, I decided to paint it all so there would only be one shade of black. I sanded it with 220 to thoroughly dull the chrome, 400 to smooth it and then painted. I used Rustoleum just because I have always had good luck with that brand. I also didn't want a high gloss so I went with semi gloss to give it a sheen instead of a high shine. Two coats of primer, sanding with 1000 grit in between coats and then 2 to 3 coats of paint.

Dragonrider here are some close ups.

http://www.wikd1.com/private/RSV1.jpg

http://www.wikd1.com/private/RSV2.jpg

http://www.wikd1.com/private/RSV3.jpg