IGNORED

RFID in Key?

SevenFour

I wanted a spare key for travels on my '06 RSMV. A friend said that ACE Hardware had the blanks. I had them cut two keys and both were unable to work the ignition switch. They would operate the trunk and the saddle bags, and turn the ignition from Lock to Off and Off to Lock but would not turn the ignition from Off to On. I went to the dealer who said I might not really want an extra key. The blanks were $46 from Yamaha. I don't remember the Owner's Manual saying anything about a chip in the key, but that much for a key doesn't make sense otherwise. Anyone have the word? Just curious. :scratchchin:

Mel

There is no chip or anything special. The dealer's are just nuts on the prices. They were probably cut just slightly incorrect or else the blanks were not exactly right. Maybe they are going in too deep? Try them again but pull the out just a bit and see if you can find a position where they will work. Otherwise, as said, they are usually available on Ebay. I know that you can get them from http://www.starparts.org/ Several of us have his stealth keys. :)

I'm guessing don is right on this - the blank is probably just a hair off in length.

I got 4 keys made at a local locksmith (cut from my original) for something like 5-7 bucks total. They were a perfect match without the fancy plastic head.

I tried, wallmart, home-depot, lowes, ace and a local hardware store. None had the right blanks. My local dealer had a crazy price too. I had initially avoided the locksmith because I had assumed that they would be way more expensive than any of the aforementioned places. Turns out, it was a lot cheaper (and would have been cheaper overall if I had just gone there to begin with).

Of course, ordering them online works too...

Good luck.

I have bought several of the generic Yamaha blanks (P/N 4BH-82511-09 about $8.00 each) and had the local ACE H/W dealer cut them. No problems. Also the ILCO blank numbers X2248 YM63 and numbers X120 YH46 (Honda car I think) work with no problems.

On a side note, since the saddle bag locks on my RSTC are different from the ignition and the right saddlebag lock on my RSV is different from the left the trunk and the ignition, I had a key cut for each bike that is different on each side. (Yes a Yamaha lock only uses one side of the key!) That way I only need one key for each bike. I cut a notch in the head of the key so I know which direction to use for each application.

Thanks :clap2: to the member (you know who you are!) who cut those for me!

Edited by wes0778
add price of Yammie blanks

Guest Oldsalt

I went through the same thing with my VStar Silverado while back. Dealer wanted 10 times what my local locksmith charged and his worked perfectly. One thing I did find out was that most hardware stores who use bubble-gum chewers to 'cut the keys' usually do not have the Yamaha motorcycle blanks. They all seem to have the same distributor too. My locksmith had no problem, the price was right and it worked!

oldsalt