IGNORED

Rode a 2nd Gen yesterday

KarlS

My 83VR has been put up for the winter since late October because of the surgery I was supposed to have November 2. ( now rescheduled for December 11) A friend of mine Mike said he wasn't going riding and let me take his GL1500 for the day. I went to Gary's (99silver) and we took off for a ride. We traded bikes (Mike and Gary are friends also) so I could see what it was like riding a 2nd Gen since I've been looking to go to a 2nd Gen or back to a Goldwing.

What I found was leg position very comfortable BUT when taking off for the first time I picked my feet up and TRIED to put them on foot pegs straight under me which was not there. Feet hit pavement and got a little squirrelly but made strong mental note, Forward floorboards, forward floorboards. Did not think I would like heal toe shifter but after a little bit it was alright.

Back started to hurt fairly quick but just pulling on handle bars relieved back so I know I would have to have a back rest. Liked the feel of the bike but you do have to "steer" more where a first Gen you just lean into a turn. All in all I liked it BUT they need a tach, now Gary has Road King mufflers on his so I was able to hear the RPM's somewhat to try and learn shift points and what speed to ride in different gears but it would be rough learning the bike with stock quiet mufflers. Was riding to slow in 5th a lot.

So after the surgery it will be time to look for a 2 Gen or a great deal on a Wing.

Before getting my '06, I never had a bike with floorboards or a heel/toe shifter. Took me a while to get used to it alright. I'd keep hitting the edge of the floorboard when I came to a stop when I went to put my left foot (or right) down. Took a while to "feel" where my heel was in relation to the heel shift. Once I got onto it tho, I like it ... shifting is "natural" now and just being able to plant my feet in different positions is great. I doubt I'd ever be able to "go back".

......What I found was leg position very comfortable BUT when taking off for the first time I picked my feet up and TRIED to put them on foot pegs straight under me which was not there. Feet hit pavement and got a little squirrelly but made strong mental note, Forward floorboards, forward floorboards. Did not think I would like heal toe shifter but after a little bit it was alright....

Yep sound like my first experience too, but got used to it and I love the forward controls. Just wait after riding a Second Gen a few months, then go ride a First Gen....

"Ugly" has boards that at first I thought "Those things are coming off!" I'm getting used to them and they help you to change positions a little more. I get a set of highway pegs I can use and I'll be good to go I think.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Like Skid said it sounds like my first experience, too. It took several days before I began to unconsciously put my feet on the boards and such. I would miss the boards, reach under me, kick the shifter into a higher gear, you name it. :yikes: I was a real fish out of water. :confused24: Now, I am always thankful for the comfortable position I find myself in with the forward boards and heel / toe shifter. :thumbsup2: The bike feels so comfortable and natural. I miss the handling characteristics of the 1st Gen but regret that I did not change earlier... :Venture: