I'm looking for an answer to a problem I'm having, and decided to go to the experts. I just completed a stator replacement. All went well, the second time. I don't want to explain. I am having an issue with the middle cover. After removing the allen screws, and removing the cover and gasket, something looked odd. On the back side, I expected a cylinder like backing on the bottom screw hole. To match up to the case with the gasket. (I have the copper washer) The top half of the cylinder is not there, and looks like it never was??? To put it simply, the dam thing won't stop dripping oil. It won't seal. I have never seen the back of this plate befoe, is there a piece missing or broken off. Any thoughts??? joe

Are you talking about the dowel pins?

There should be two of them, parts fiche isn't very clear on where they go.

MKII service manual picture looks like the holes for them are at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock. You can tell where they go by the larger holes in the gasket. That reminded me, I have a spare gasket and they are indeed at 4 and 8.

There is no pin on the bottom hole, the one with the washer.

Be aware that leaks at the grommets where the wires pass through the side cover look like they're coming from the middle gear cover. The oil runs down the wires and drips off the low spot - right behind the bottom of the middle gear cover.

No, I'm talking about the bottom one. The one with the copper washer. What is on the back . This is the one that seals to the middle gear cover. There is no flat spot on the back, it is a half circle and it won't seal with the engine. I think I really need a picture. I'll work on it. joe

Pictures of area in question below.

Hole just below top center is bottom hole of where middle drive cover bolts to.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/midcoversmall.jpg

front view of middle drive cover

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/midcoveroutersmall.jpg

Back view of middle drive cover

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/Middlecoverinside.jpg

Edited by dingy
Revised caption on 1st picture

Dingy,

Now I am confused (happens every day).

Your top picture show the bottom boss to be complete, like mine is.

The bottom picture shows the upper half of the boss missing. Looks like that would be more apt to leak.

Now I'm wondering how the oil drains when you take the screw out if the boss isn't cut away. :think:

Dingy,

The bottom picture shows the upper half of the boss missing. Looks like that would be more apt to leak.

Now I'm wondering how the oil drains when you take the screw out if the boss isn't cut away. :think:

Top picture is of the middle gear case, bottom is the cover. Oil gets through the little half moon cutaway on the cover to drain when you pull the bottom bolt.

You can also see the larger diameter hole at the top left of Dingy's first picture. That is one of the dowel holes. The other one would be on the right, just above the top of the picture.

Sorry Oz,

I revised caption on first picture to indicate it was of the case, not cover as I originally said.

Dingy,

Did you get a new copper washer? I did when I replaced my pickup coil. the new washer is just a schmidge larger (od) it just would not seal. I fought a pesty leak untill I put the old washer back on and I used the oil resistant silicone on it, make sure everything is super clean (no oil residue) before using the silicone.

OK, It is called a boss? So having 1/2 of a boss allows the oil to drain. Why does the 1/2 boss seal? This is where I have a leak. I'm sooooo confused. After reading old posts , alot of us have leaks from this bolt , and a lot of wild tricks have been used to stop the flow. Thank You for the pictures.:thumbsup2: joe