First I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to share their ideas and experiences. I am a new (to me) 08 RSTD owner. I have read with great enthusiasm the many posts about engine oil here. My question is: Are the different engine oils talked about here assumed to be motorcycle oil, or regular engine oil? For that matter, what IS the difference between motorcycle and engine oil (other than about $4.00 a quart)?

Thanks again for having such a great place to share ideas and gain information.

Nico

:bluesbrother:

Nico,

There are people here running all kinds of oil in their motorcycles.

1. Motorcycle oil

2. automotive oil with and without advanced friction modifiers

3. truck/diesel engine oil with and without advanced friction modifiers

synthetic/blend/fossil in any of the above.

There are people who have slipping clutches who probably won't admit to using friction modifying oil, or who bought a used bike with clutch slippage who wonder what the previous owner used.

Here's a good web page dedicated to oil issues.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

welcome to the Venture Forum.

I think Mobil 1 MX 4T synthetic is the best MC oil, but I may try some of the diesel engine oils in the future which are much less expensive and seem to be good, like Shell Rotella. Or just stay safe while under warranty and use Yamalube.

Most oils we refer to are Motorcycle Specific. Some are diesel such as Rotella and a few are regular engine oils. We try to stay away from the ones with "friction modifiers" or "energy efficient" (I think that's correct... guys...?? straighten me out if I'm wrong)

I've used just about everything. One would think I was female the way I keep changing my mind on which oil to use ... :rotf: :rotf:

I've been using the Shell Rotella-T synthetic forever. Actually marketed as a diesel engine oil. Certainly not motorcycle specific. $19.00 a gallon at Wal-Mart. 49,000 Miles on my '06 RSMV and countless miles on my former bikes, Valkyrie, Intruder, Magna. Never a clutch slip or oil related issue of any kind . . . so far.

Ken

You are correct SilvrT, "energy efficient" or "with friction modifiers" are two phrases I would stay away from when selecting MC oil. Some claim to not have clutch slippage issues when using oils with this type of labeling, I am not doubting them nor am I endorsing either. Most are using this stuff trying to quiet down the screaming or chirping from the engine/tranny.

I use Shell Rotella conventional, an oil formulated for heavy duty diesel engines. So far I have been using this oil for about 10,000 miles and have not experienced any problems. My main reasoning for using Rotella is the price, 12 bucks at Walmart for a gallon. I can't find a better deal on quality oil any where else.

Well, thats my 2 cents worth.

Dave

I have been using Amsoil MC oil (10w-40 and 20w-50) for about 20,000 miles and it has served me well.

As the others have mentioned, DON'T use conventional car oils as most have friction modifiers that will lead to slippage of wet clutches, which the RSV has. (If you have a bike that does not have a wet clutch or the clutch is not lubricated by the engine oil, then that is a different story.)

I think everyone has a favorite oil, and if it works for them, then that is the oil they should use. Again, just stay away from the ones with friction modifiers, sometimes referred to as energy conserving. You will see this in the circle on the container that lists the rating of the oil.

Phoenix

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using standard automotive synthetic and dino engine oils in motorcycles for years with no ill affects to the clutches. If you look at the round spec. label on the back of the containers it will tell you what the oils are rated for. If it says "Energy Conserving" or CD (cd is a diesel spec. oil) dont use them. If you are going to use additives then you will have to verify with the makers of those you want to use, that they are ok in a wet clutch application. Hope this helps. :thumbsup2:

wngrr

Thanks to all for your help in clearing this up. I also found an entire college degree in oil from http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/. After all of this I am really lamenting the money I've wasted on 3k oil changes and M/C 4t oil when I could have used something else and a longer interval. We live, we learn. Thanks again

Nico

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Don't use the Shell Rotella with the T6 on the jug. It is energy coservative.

Hope not, 'cause it doesn't say so on the bottle and I've had it in my RSV for 1000+ miles, with no problems so far. I've made three 2-up, 200+ mile trips, one "loaded" and no slippage noticed.

Notice it does meet JASO DH-2 and JASO MA requirements