IGNORED

It's Totaled!

royalstarjac

Some of you are aware I had a little accident on the RSV last friday afternoon. The shop called and the repair bill came to $20,522.61 before even checking the frame. Needless to say it's totaled. I really loved that bike and my wife and I had a lot of great times in the 2yrs and 34K miles we got to put on her. On the other hand, It is only plastic and metal and I walked away. Kind of have mixed feelings right now.

I'll be looking for a new bike in the near future but I doubt it will be an RSV. The next bike I buy will have ABS since I'm pretty sure the wreck I had could have been avoided if I'd had it.

Jack,

I didn't hear a word that you were in a wreck last Friday.:confused24:

However, I am very happy you were able to walk away from yours.

You had a beautiful bike too, but as time goes by you will learn to let it go.

When I lost mine I thought OMG.. there wasn't another like it in the world to me, but now I have another bike and I am happy with it as well.

You will find another one and be happy again too. Glad to see your already wanting another one as well..I bought mine the following weekend after my wreck and couldnt ride it for 4 weeks..ha

Just so glad you are ok my friend. :thumbsup2:

Some of you are aware I had a little accident on the RSV last friday afternoon. The shop called and the repair bill came to $20,522.61 before even checking the frame. Needless to say it's totaled. I really loved that bike and my wife and I had a lot of great times in the 2yrs and 34K miles we got to put on her. On the other hand, It is only plastic and metal and I walked away. Kind of have mixed feelings right now.

I'll be looking for a new bike in the near future but I doubt it will be an RSV. The next bike I buy will have ABS since I'm pretty sure the wreck I had could have been avoided if I'd had it.

Try the new Kawasaki Voyager I rode one at the demo rides in daytona, and it will stop on a dime. I rode the ABS version.

Gregg

Also glad you are all OK. Lost loves take a little time to heal, but your new scoot will win you over quickly if you choose well.

Do consider the new Kawasaki, I haven't sat on one yet, but Plan to soon if Yamaha doesn't update the RSV soon.

Also consider the BMW K1200LT. I have been looking at these, used ones with low miles go fairly cheap for what you get. I have lots of BMW friends that love these bikes.

Also, there is the GoldWing. And heck, enjoy yourself and take out an Ultra Glide just for kicks. Never know what will trip your trigger! (anti HD types, take your shots, but heck, why not look?).

I love my '86 VR, but realize I may have to replace it someday. I would love if Mama Yamaha would bring out a new version of that bike...there are enough Harley look alikes around for my taste! :)

Anyway, have fun looking.

What tires were you running.

The reason I ask is because, the 2000 model had a dunlop on frount and maxis on back when I got it, and it would not stop, tires would slide at any hard braking.

After putting radials on it, mainly the avon cobra on frount, it stops great.

And there is one thing to think about, Me and my friend Bobby who rode one of the voyagers in the kawasaki demo rides, talked about was the fact that before you got on the brakes on that Voyager you had better look in the mirror to see what was going to hit you in the rear. YOu need to be able to stop, but no faster than what behind you.

My wife has already had that experience, we were in a group ride and she was on her magna(her old bike) following a stratoliner, which will stop in half the distance that the magna will. Well the guy on the strat started under a red light that turn yellow as he got to it. He first started to go then he decided to stop so the group would stay together, well a stratoline is like the Voyager stops on a dime, but Karren's magna would not, she moved left and side swapped him, she did not go down. Just scared her.

Did $900 worth of damage to the yamaha, none to the honda.

Gregg

I was running Avon Venoms. The RSV is well known for locking up the rear brake. On dry pavement you can get away with it to a point. In the rain at hiway speed not so much!

ABS is available on many bikes nowadays. To me that is one of the great shortcomings of not updating these bikes over the years.

I was just wandering about the tires, Thats another strike against bias ply tires, the Voyager and Goldwings with abs are riding on radial tires. I personelly know puting a Avon Cobra on frount, even going from the avon venom(not a radial) greatly improves stopping ability, and you can get michielin radials for both ends.

I was looking at bikebandit and they have the Commanders in radials, or so it says on there site.

The Voyager will stop on a dime, and the intergated braking system disengagae when you a below 12 mph, so you can use the brakes seperately.

Kawasaki needs to address the heat problem, at the riders right knee and it will be a great machine.

For me though I will stay with the RSV, I have ridden Wings, (the 1800 is the cadilac of motorcycles hands down) HD Ultra's(Couldn't give me one if I had to keep it, a pure piece of junk), had not had the oppertunity to ride a vision yet but I doubt then I will trade.

Again that's just me

Gregg

There may be an FJR in my future.

Good choice. That would be high on my list for a new bike. Let me know if you go to Moto400 or Gainesville to look at them and I'll tag along.

If you haven't yet, take a look at the MotoGuzzi touring bikes at Riders Hill here in Dahlonega. They have an ice cream shop in the showroom~